Ark: Survival Evolved

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Is there an upcoming update that will require a wipe? I just started playing a few days ago. I just see the Aug 13 upcoming update but nothing about a wipe. Unless that's required once they introduce new biomes.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of getting this for drunk gaming weekend this weekend. What server are all you guys on?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been running an accelerated xp/harvest pve server thats stayed pretty active the last weekForsaken Isle [PVE x15 XP/Harvest 30xTame] - (v196.1) - ARK: Survival Evolved Servers
What do people even do on PVE servers though? Wild dinos aren't the slightest threat; there wouldn't even be any reason to build more than wood with just enough stone to be indestructible. I have a spinosaurus that was tamed at 120->170 using kibble, then leveled up another 48 times. Even the new alpha dinos they added are barely more than a speedbump to it. The game is fun, but the balance is nonexistent against anything but other players.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I'd say it's more for small groups of players that are more interested in building cool bases. At least that's the type that has shown the most interest. For me it's more about quickly learning the full progression path before going to a pvp server. Tamed dinos can be set to be more or less powerful than wild ones. Has that change been made in either direction on your server? It's possible to tune things to be more challenging for PvE for people interested in that aspect. Or made super easy for a server focused on pvp that also wants dinos to be more powerful against players. That is one nice thing. There are a ton of settings to really change how the server plays out of the box.

Vorph

I play on an official pvp server, so it's pretty much just the default settings for everything at difficulty 4.0.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Hey Hatorade, you've been promoted, sorry for the wait

The SBD server isnt being wiped, for now at least... there is a 'megapatch' coming soon, supposedly, that may be a burn for players who have already maxed out their engrams. The thought was that the wipe would allow for a new baseline for players to get to start clean and try a different approach.

The server, for anyone interested, is:

SBD GamerZ Ark - 2xTame - (v200.3)
http://arkservers.net/server/152.208.31.15:27015

Teamspeak: sbdgamerzts.ddns.net

Right now it's very small in population - the mods are slightly tweaking things like exp, tame times, harvesting and crafting details, etc - in an effort to get it all buttoned up for a larger 'public' launch.

Feel free to hit me up on steam, DCNemesis, if you have any questions

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just got this for something to do. Its at 200.5 and I tried to join the IP Nemesis listed, but nothing came up.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
hit up the guys on teamspeak. the admins update the server within a couple hours of the patch going live. one is on the road for work, and the other is in the UK. so sometimes they need a poke, but they get right to it.

just search SBD in the unofficial server list

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
for anyone interested in the SBD server with some fellow Rerolled folks...

Following the recent patch that expanded the player level to 80, increased XP and engrams cap, and introduced more content and features, the server was reset.

If anyone is looking for a fresh start on even ground with the rest of the server population (albeit a small one), this is a great time to check it out!

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
The game is free to play the next few days. My server has been fairly popular with a constant 20-30 people on at peak hours. Too bad my internet is messed up and its not running at top speed this weekend until someone can come out and fix it =p

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Any pro tips for a total noob trying this out for the free weekend?

Vorph

Start somewhere in the south. The north is full of shit that will eat you every time you turn around. The south is safer, but you still need to watch out for ants and dragonflies. Run into a group of 4-6 as a newb and you'll be heading back to the respawn screen.

Hit tab to open the console, then type "r.bloomquality 0", "r.lightshafts 0", and (optional, but recommended for performance) "r.shadowquality 0". You'll probably want to use your GPU control panel at night to up the gamma as well. Or do like I do and use a program like Gamma Control to bind it to extra mouse buttons so you don't have to alt-tab out to change it.

Don't build anything but the absolute basics until you get to stone tier; thatch and wood are eaten in a matter of seconds by people with strong dinos. Stone requires grenades to break into and it will keep casual raiders away. Don't try to learn every engram either, you will run out of points. Important stuff is the various building components like foundations, ceilings, walls, doors, etc., tools, spear/pike, narcotics, bow/xbow, arrow/tranq arrow, armor (if solo), crafting stations like campfire, mortar and pestle, forge, smithy, and sleeping bag/bed.

Tame a level 4 or 8 trike as soon as you can make the saddle for it, or even earlier if you can find an experienced player to help you out (the material cost to them is completely trivial). Don't get attached to it, there's a good chance it will die overnight. Use it to farm lots of narco berries, and turn those into narcotics. At 2xp a piece they are just about the only 'fast' way to level that is left for people who can't just hop on a level 200+ spino do powerlevel themselves. To get a lot of spoiled meat quickly for the narcotics you can split stacks of 20 into singles by control-dragging the mouse.

Other early game animals: raptors are useful for travel and killing things, phiomias can't farm berries but are ok for hauling shit and can be garaged easier than a trike, parasaurs are worthless.

Beyond that it's just a matter of getting to the stone tier and then being able to make metal tools and a pike at level 25.

I'm on official server 65 (PVP).

Vorph

Patch is happening right now, but I don't think DX12 is part of it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Played for a bit before servers came down. I'm assuming everyone is still on server 63?

Enjoying it a lot so far. My only complaint is that fucking chat box. But otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing some of you soon. Let me know if there's a chat server (the mumble server for H1Z1 asked for a PW, so dunno what to do with that).