Ark: Survival Evolved

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ah, the other day there was a post saying that DX12 for Win10 was coming this Friday(today) and to expect around a 20% increase in performance.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Wish this wasn't F2P on D3 season 4 launch weekend
frown.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Performance is the game's biggest issue right now. I really wish they'd focus on that above all else. Best piece of advice I can give is that if you have a 2GB card don't try to go above medium textures (which unfortunately look like ass). The game really wants 3-4GB of VRAM for some inexplicable reason.

Much of the performance problems are the fault of the game's design too. Eggs are used to make kibble, which is the only way to tame high end animals. Not only does it take vastly less time, it also vastly increases the final level of the pet. A L120 herbivore tamed with kibble becomes L178 and takes at most 2-3 hours; tamed with mejoberries you'd lucky to get more than L130 and can take up to 14 hours. This is all cool in theory, but the actual result is that people want eggs now. Lots and lots of eggs. At one point my tribe had 42 scorpions, and to say that caused people's computers to go into slideshow mode would be the understatement of the year. We got rid of the scorpions once we hit 1000+ eggs, since that's almost 20 max level T-Rex tames, but we still have 8 stegos (-> birds), 10 turtles (-> brontos), 16 or so dilos (-> ankylos and doedis), and at least a dozen birds (-> spinos). That's just the stuff we keep around for eggs too, except for the birds which we'd have anyway. On top of that we have a shitload of rexes, spinos, pteranodons, ankylos, sabertooths, raptors, a bronto, a couple mammoths, etc.

Now consider that this was up until very recently a tribe with three main members who did all the work. There are tribes out there much, much larger than us, and they have even more stuff tamed and built than we do. Then there's all the people who built stuff and then quit, which is very difficult/costly to remove on a PVP server, but still contributes to server and client lag all the time.

Bottom line, the performance was never great, but it was manageable for a while. The race to tame everything under the sun for egg production has made practically every base into a slideshow when you first load it (which can be deadly due to turrets) and the server lag just keeps getting worse and worse since anything built with stone or metal is usually permanent.

Still a really fun game though, if you choose your server wisely. I can't imagine playing on one of the shitholes that is overrun with Chinese streamers or locked down by a bunch of kiddies who try to extort everyone else.

caesium

Molten Core Raider
So I checked this out due to free weekend thing, got to lvl 32 after a day or so and have gotten a cube/game for free.

Anyone willing to take in a new tribe member?

caesium

Molten Core Raider
well i dunno if the extinction event servers have diff rules sets or something, but for the most part i just focused on narcotics, then cooking pot thing, those pot things are like 20 xp and demolish to 50% mats. so it was pretty much a run around and hit rocks simulator. (and feed the bronto and trike) gdi bronto took for fucking ever to tame, and then i found out i can't ride it till lvl 55 (to make a saddle) hah.

but yeah.

I can't seem to get Server 65 to come up on the list.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Server i'm on is getting close to what Vorph is talking about, but only recently have the egg farms really gone into high gear. 2 weeks back the largest tribe on the server, by far, was taken out. It was a huge effort that involved not a few 50k hp Rex's that just stood there and ran turrets out of ammo. Now everyone is getting egg farms up in an arms race of Rex's/C4 count v base design. And this is by all accounts a fairly peaceful server with an active barter economy.

The amount of half eaten, blown open, abandoned huts and bases all over the place is starting to get irritating. We spent the better part of last week making c4 and grenades to clear down an abandoned base that was spawn blocking an obsidian field.

caesium

Molten Core Raider
i rolled on offical 65 yesterday aft, lvl 31 now, ign zatutic.

server population seems really chill and cool. i've not been pk'd yet, some dude rolled up on me in the dark on a raptor scared the shit outta me cuz one sec all clear look down hit stone next sec dino feet.. lol

good stuff.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh, I saw you on this morning. I'm Svieri / Vorph (have two accounts, one with nothing but carry weight leveled, the other is generalized).

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Loving the hell out of this game. Been playing H1Z1 the last couple months and Wildcard Studios makes SOE/DBG look like amateurs.

fris

Vyemm Raider
any server recommendations? playing solo on a few unofficial servers to get the basics down.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I play on a private server with my girlfriend and we're loving it so far.

There's a couple of issues, mainly with dying (good luck finding a corpse, the grass hides everything so well) or losing dinos. The last one was when my 153 Argentavis was on the raft with me and vanished and later found it sitting on the ocean floor.

CrunchMunch UK 5x Res/Taming 2x XP - (v209.1) - ARK: Survival Evolved Serversis the server if anyone is interested.

Thrawnseg_sl

shitlord
Where on server 65 are you? I just started in the south last night and bases are everywhere. Need to find a good spot to build...and need friends!

caesium

Molten Core Raider
i'm in the south on 65, vorph and a couple others are more south/south west. though i havn't seen them on much or around.