Assassin's Creed Origins set in Egypt

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Great game im digging it, exploring ancient Egypt is fun.Last AC i played was Black Flag and the one before that was AC 2 or 3, the one where you get a Villa that you upgrade.

Never was a huge fan of this series but its a decent experience thus far, fun note you can get the Set Clothing and Mummy clothing along with the unicorn horse from those 3k chests that kid sells with the purple camel icon that shows up in towns with the daily which has a chest as well for a reward.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do wish the armor sets were more than cosmetic. I mean I know they use them for micro transactions, but at least if they had slots where you installed mods that you got from regular gameplay. But again, I feel like all of that totally detracts from what AC actually is, but if they insist on going down the ARPG path, they may as well go all in.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am trying to understand the exploration piece. Without a reason to explore, what exactly are people exploring? Graphics?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've run into a few areas where the radar turns yellow and says explore. Is that what you mean? Personally my gameplay loop is that I run around killing as many of the soldiers on horseback as I can while heading to a ?, !, or other "point of interest" symbol and finishing whatever the objective for that symbol is.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am having a lot more fun then when i posted last week. I got some levels, learned how to play better and am now kicking some butt.

FYI, Target flyer has this game at $35 for black friday.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm having a little bit more fun now too, the game definitely gets better as it goes on.

I really think they dropped the ball with how the game was handled in the first 3-4 hours though, I was almost ready to give up with the terrible pacing and story structure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah the pacing really sucked in the newbie zone and the second zone. Things get way better once you make it to Alexandria and you meet your wife, in story, in structure, and then they add a very key mechanic as well. Alexandria was great, but now things are spread somewhat apart again in that next area(s). It may just be how I'm playing, as I go for the ?'s first, which usually mean a "dungeon" area you go and fight through for loot and XP, and I snag everything else in between. I really wish there was a consistent way to break shields with dual wielding as that is my favorite weapon as far as moves go, but I always end up switching to my big ass axe instead.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Be interesting to see what the numbers actually are. This is my first Ubisoft game ever (I know, I know), and so far I'm definitely impressed, and it will help quell the "single player is dead" stuff going around because some artsy fartsy woman over thought one game into the ground.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I didn't buy it, but so many people have gushing about how good it looks I Redbox'd it. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played. Absolutely beautiful. It also doesn't play like past ACs and definitely feels like there is a strong For Honor influence, which I actually like.

Too much shit to play right now, but I'll definitely be grabbing it in an upcoming Black Friday deal for sure.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I didn't buy it, but so many people have gushing about how good it looks I Redbox'd it. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played. Absolutely beautiful. It also doesn't play like past ACs and definitely feels like there is a strong For Honor influence, which I actually like.

Too much shit to play right now, but I'll definitely be grabbing it in an upcoming Black Friday deal for sure.

Wait for a sale :) If you are like me, (And so far I think we share the same interests in game characteristics, you like heavily linked story based games with solid character depth going along with the visuals and game play. If you can sacrifice the story and characters, you still will be inevitably locked into check the box style content, no exploration (No reason to explore... there isn't anything there to learn about either aside from going to the "?" and "Oh hey... Bandits... again... and 1-2 chests", along with drab side characters, completely barren and devoid of any meaning or what you are even doing there. (I am about 10 hours in) Around hour 6 or so, things seem to pick up story wise and it's almost like, "Ok hey, I am getting somewhere and this is picking up" and wham... No. By hour 8 you are in the same damn boat again with horrible story telling, no exploration, nothing to see, nothing to historically note it too... And Chariot races were HUGE disappointments.

And every once in a while you come across some crazy placed NPC that will destroy you to break pacing even if you are the same level. Maybe it's different on the Xbox One X simply because of the visuals, but for me that would only go so far. Probably a decent deal at $24.99 or so. I am hoping (Although I know better) that FC5 will be better when it comes to story. But again, I'll never buy another Ubisoft game at launch ever. I'll always rent it first.

But like you said, a lot to play. WW2 Single player campaign is awesome so far (But I am a huge WW2 buff), Horizon Zero Dawn DLC, Evil Within 2, plenty more around the corner with new God of War, Monster Hunter World, Skyrim PSVR, etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Sunk about 3 hours into it so far, I really didn't like how the game started. I loved how AC2 and AC4 started, just a small character intro and then a beautiful world unfolds in front of you. This game just kinda throws you into it, and it uses the game/movie technique of "something bad happened 1 year ago, now lets play and you'll see that unfold over time". Meh, I much prefer the Fallout / AC2 / etc way of starting out with your char as a young person and then growing into them.

Its 100% a ubi game, just towers and objectives and mini quests everywhere. Some small refinements to the formula, I love the eagle thing and its cool as fuck just using it as basically a Drone and the visuals are fantastic in that mode, really well done. I don't like what they did with Assassin (eagle) vision though, holding down the stick to do a 360 room scan and stuff you can loot isn't well highlighted, I always feel like I need to scan way more than I should just to make sure I didn't miss any lootable items.

Crafting, perks, combat, etc all work well. I don't feel super immersed into the world right now though like Italy or the Caribbean, its a bit jarring where half the people are talking in accented english and the other half are talking in Egyptian (?) and it sounds like just Far Cry Primal talk to me. Shoulda been 100% accented english with the occasional swear word in egyptian. I don't get that grandiose sense of "I am in a place 4000 years old where civilization truly achieved great things", and I got that in the first moments of stuff like Stargate or The Mummy. I feel instead like I'm in a shitty african village with people who don't mind me running them over with my horse.

Map is fucking huge as fuck though, I was wandering around the first zone thinking it was gonna be like 50% of the map and then I finally open the map, start zooming out, and jesus titty fuck this map is INSANELY huge. Having fun, hoping I get that sense of Egyptian awe when I travel to a bigger city or whatever.

This and South Park (done) and Mario Odyssey though are definitely the games I wanna play this winter - Mordor, Wolf 2, and COD didn't do much for me.

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have to agree w/ Utnayan. Game looks truly amazing, and am a sucker for Egypt. It's the first AC game I've had any remote interest in, but holy shit this game is devoid of any substance or soul. The question marks remind me of Witcher 3, but somehow in Witcher 3 I didn't mind doing them (short of Skellega). In AC:O its bandits and treasure. over and over. Artificial time sinks and as previously stated, there is nothing interesting to learn. I've spacebar hero'd through the majority of side quests. Even the main storyline I am having trouble giving two shits about. There's nothing about the protagonist (to me at least) that is worth caring about. I know you can't throw Ubisoft in the same ballpark as Naughty Dog, but
The Last of Us managed to make me feel emotionally attached to Joel's daughter w/ in 5mins. This game pulls the same shit, kid dying within the first hour or so of the campaign, but it meant absolutely nothing. They should have done something to build that connection up, but instead it starts you on this quest for justice for reasons that just dont feel like they matter.

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So what's the consensus here? Wait for $20 bargain bin? Worth pirating at all?

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Have to agree w/ Utnayan. Game looks truly amazing, and am a sucker for Egypt. It's the first AC game I've had any remote interest in, but holy shit this game is devoid of any substance or soul. The question marks remind me of Witcher 3, but somehow in Witcher 3 I didn't mind doing them (short of Skellega). In AC:O its bandits and treasure. over and over. Artificial time sinks and as previously stated, there is nothing interesting to learn. I've spacebar hero'd through the majority of side quests. Even the main storyline I am having trouble giving two shits about. There's nothing about the protagonist (to me at least) that is worth caring about. I know you can't throw Ubisoft in the same ballpark as Naughty Dog, but
The Last of Us managed to make me feel emotionally attached to Joel's daughter w/ in 5mins. This game pulls the same shit, kid dying within the first hour or so of the campaign, but it meant absolutely nothing. They should have done something to build that connection up, but instead it starts you on this quest for justice for reasons that just dont feel like they matter.

I think the difference was that the quests in between the ?'s in The Witcher 3 were actually meaningful and interesting. They had real depth to them and were some of the better writing that I've experienced in an AAA title. The quests between the ?s in AC:O are soulless as fuck.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
This game and south park will be $29 at walmart on black friday btw, i'd say its worth a spin at that price

spronk

FPS noob
10 years ago today Assassin's Creed 1 was released on 360. A week earlier Mass Effect 1 was also released. A week before that Super Mario Galaxy. A week before that Halo 3. 2007 was a crazy year. I was ass deep in World of Warcraft and that was the year the first xpac, Burning Crusade, came out.

Pour one out for my homie Altair, at least Ubisoft recovered your franchise and Origins is a great game. Look what happened to Mass Effect :(

q9p3Gyb.jpg

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
played it for 10 mins, intro characters have a bad case of vanguard

• 2Worf