Avengers: Age of Ultron

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't see how "nothing else with a lasting impact" happened. I think this movie set up a few important things that will affect the future films:
- A real re-emergence of SHIELD as an effective force (with the helicarrier and new SHIELD/Avengers base)
- New Avengers roster with Vision, Falcon, and Scarlet Witch
- Upping the animosity between Stark and Captain America
- Popular opinion turning against the Avengers after Hulk's widescale destruction in Wakanda.
- Acknowledgement of the infinity gems, the danger of them coming together, and Thanos setting out to collect them

In fact, rather than saying that nothing with a lasting impact happened, I'd say it spent a little too much time setting up future movies. As others have mentioned in this thread already, it definitely felt like a "middle" movie, meant to build characters and set up the next films in the series moreso than be a standalone, great movie by itself (which it still was, imo).
That wasn't Wakanda that Hulk and Iron Man were destroying.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
civil war IS set up. the public are NOT happy with hulk, and by extension, the avengers. cap thinks mistakes were made, but by and large, lives were saved. Tony thinks mistakes were made and they were his mistakes. He's gone from an arrogant know-it-all to a doubting thomas. He doesn't trust himself so why should anyone else. I don't know if they will have a registration act, as it would seem a little heavy handed for such a small handful of people... but the avengers have been basically self-governing. Who watches the watchers and all that. Tony thinks they need to be put in check, whereas cap is still a bit sore from all that hydra is shield business and doesn't trust anyone to do the right thing except for himself and his avengers.

i mean... seriously... it may not be spelled out in big letters... but it's pretty close.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
civil war IS set up. the public are NOT happy with hulk, and by extension, the avengers. cap thinks mistakes were made, but by and large, lives were saved. Tony thinks mistakes were made and they were his mistakes. He's gone from an arrogant know-it-all to a doubting thomas. He doesn't trust himself so why should anyone else. I don't know if they will have a registration act, as it would seem a little heavy handed for such a small handful of people... but the avengers have been basically self-governing. Who watches the watchers and all that. Tony thinks they need to be put in check, whereas cap is still a bit sore from all that hydra is shield business and doesn't trust anyone to do the right thing except for himself and his avengers.

i mean... seriously... it may not be spelled out in big letters... but it's pretty close.
Registration act is too close to X-men I think, so yeah they probably wont do that.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That wasn't Wakanda that Hulk and Iron Man were destroying.
You're right. I think my subconscious racism came out.

I guess if it had been Wakanda then Black Panther would have shown up and gotten the Hulk in an armbar to end the rampage.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If he can hammerlock Silver Surfer, I'm sure going 3 rounds in the octagon with Hulk should work out just fine.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
They set up the registration act in AoS, except it will be called the "Index". The widespread emergence of Mutants will actually be Inhumans because of the events that happened in the season finale of AoS (i.e. fish oil). Next season of AoS will be all about the widespread emergence of people with powers.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if they want to touch on the not-as-good writing for the show plot points in the movies. Cause they evidently experimented so much with the terrigen crystals that they simply forgot to test dropping them in water.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm confused. The destruction Hulk wrought was directly adjacent to wherever they were attacking Ulysses/Gollum, and literally everyone was African. That wasn't Wakanda? Or was it technically 30 miles away and Gavin was just lololol-gotcha?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was in Africa but that was not Wakanda, unless they are very dramatically changing Wakanda for the MCU. While Wakanda has quite advanced technology, it's outward appearance has always been depicted as rather primitive looking, and heavily integrated into the jungle, no urban sprawls. Also, it seems pretty unlikely that Klaw would set up shop inside Wakanda itself with billions of dollars worth of stolen vibranium when the Wakandans guard it so zealously.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok, so you don't actually know. Wakanda is a nation right? So somewhat big, not just one city? If so, I'm gonna go with "it's Wakanda,' in the absence of any indication otherwise inside the movie. Unless I missed said indicator.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know that there was any direct proof, but I'd bet money that it wasn't Wakanda. And while it is a nation, in the comics at least it was always sort of just one city and a bunch of jungle, maybe some primitive huts outside the city, but just one city. Gavinmad's description of it is accurate, comic universe-wise at least. Could it be Wakanda? I suppose so, but I seriously doubt it.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Was that Wakanda shown in the X-men Wolverine movie . . . The first one. It was the one with Will-I-am.

Looked pretty run down and third world.

I think for this film they wanted to stage Hulk vs Hulkbuster fight in the middle of a big city with huge population and consequences, so big african city.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Ok, so you don't actually know. Wakanda is a nation right? So somewhat big, not just one city? If so, I'm gonna go with "it's Wakanda,' in the absence of any indication otherwise inside the movie. Unless I missed said indicator.
There was a huge indicator. It was "Klaw escaped Wakanda with stolen vibranium". Hence they aren't in Wakanda.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They at no point suggested that they were going to Wakanda. They were going to Klaw's hideout, which was specifically NOT in Wakanda. They said the Vibranium he stole came from there, that's it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, I agree it's not in Wakanda. I'm sure if they had actually gone to Wakanda they would have made a point of stating that, since it's such a hugely important location.

I think the source of the confusion is that in one scene they're talking about Wakanda, and in the next they're in an unnamed African nation. I think most people draw the connection that they went to Wakanda. I know several non-comic readers who saw the movie and assume that city they showed was Wakanda, so it's a pretty widespread confusion. Did they ever actually state where they Hulk rampage took place? I believe it was filmed in South Africa, but I don't remember them saying the name of the city/country in the movie.

Malkav

French Madman
They at no point suggested that they were going to Wakanda. They were going to Klaw's hideout, which was specifically NOT in Wakanda. They said the Vibranium he stole came from there, that's it.
This.
I thought it was pretty obvious.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They really needed some transition scene there of Hulk bounding off into the city.