Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm kind of disiponted in the black panther casting. I know Chadwick is the popular guy now but I always thought this was the perfect role for Wesley snipes.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Snipes is clearly too old and is unlikely to ever receive work on big budget movies again following his jail time. I would struggle to name any young, black actors with enough clout to fill that role, maybe Ashley Walters. Most of the actors I thought of are all 40+.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well I don't know how well he plays with Hollywood executives. He went kinda weird for a while with the whole tax-evasion stuff. He was involved with some sovereign-secessionist/racial-purity/alien-abduction thing called the "Nuwaubian Nation" too. I always liked Snipes in film and would love to see more shit with him in it, but he gives me a Gary Busey/Randy Quaid feeling with that weirdo shit. I was happy to see him pop up in Expendables, but those films are kinda lame. I think he was supposed to be in an earlier Expendables, but he wasn't legally allowed to leave the country.

He doesn't seem like a safe investment for a Marvel franchise given his age and ambiguous legal dealings.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think Black Panther is such a lesser-known character that Marvel can take him in any direction they want. This will basically be his introduction to the vast, vast majority of people so they get to set the tone for him, and I doubt they care if he doesn't exactly match what comic book readers have in mind. It's probably more important to have a decent actor who is dependable in the long-term than someone who might technically be a better fit character-wise.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree doesn't make any sense anymore especially after all his shit and being old. He just always seemed like the perfect guy for the part especially in his heyday. I agree other than stringer bell I can't think of any other black actors for the part and he can't do it for obvious reasons.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
He's too old for t'challa, but djiamon honsou would make a great t'chaka

Xevy

Log Wizard
*it's okay to make minor heroes whatever color you want

Heimdall is a badass and they got a badass actor to play him. Ain't nothing wrong with that! I'm not sure there's many people outside of Captain America and Thor who I'd care about being black. Tony Stark, Hawkeye, Bruce Banner. Could all be black. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gavin's point exactly. Especially with all the anger over whitewashing i.e. ghost in the Shell and avitar. Also to Xevy's point the feeling that Steve Roger cap and thor need to be white is that it fits with their cultural and geographic background.. (plus cap being Aryan fightING nazis ) the same applies to black panther Being black from Africa. Neckbeards were pissed about heimdal at first but Elba is so awesome everyone got over it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Now I wish Dr. Strange could be a young Neil Degrasse Tyson. I know it's weird, but I really like it for some reason.

rrr_img_98185.jpg

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
That would be sweet. Why not a current middle age Tyson I never t h ink of srange as young anyway

Haus

<Silver Donator>
*it's okay to make minor heroes whatever color you want

Heimdall is a badass and they got a badass actor to play him. Ain't nothing wrong with that! I'm not sure there's many people outside of Captain America and Thor who I'd care about being black. Tony Stark, Hawkeye, Bruce Banner. Could all be black. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Bruce Banner as Black guy? You're telling people people are going to believe a black guy getting angry and destroying shit? Sorry, but the suspension of belief thing can only be stretched so far.... Unless they cast Terry Crews, then I'm fine with it.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
It's ok to make a white character black, but if you make a black character white that's racism.
tl'dr explanation: Turning a character that's the default actor (i.e. white male straight) into something else has the potential to be interesting. Turning an existing character that's doesn't fit that default pattern into The Amazing Cornbread Man isboring.Replace interesting/boring with empowering/demeaning trendsetting/regressive relevant adjective/other relevant adjective to taste.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would giggle incessantly if they made black panther some white South African dude. It'd be hilarious outrage.