Avengers: Age of Ultron

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I would giggle incessantly if they made black panther some white South African dude. It'd be hilarious outrage.
rrr_img_98212.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
tl'dr explanation: Turning a character that's the default actor (i.e. white male straight) into something else has the potential to be interesting. Turning an existing character that's doesn't fit that default pattern into The Amazing Cornbread Man isboring.Replace interesting/boring with empowering/demeaning trendsetting/regressive relevant adjective/other relevant adjective to taste.
Straight white males are boring, got it.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Changing character ethnicity for the sake of racial diversity is just pandering, nothing more nothing less.

They should have Luke Cage in the movies already.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, they're laying the groundwork for a Defenders series. Daredevil was decent. I'm looking forward to more.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I imagine they'll proceed forward with more confidence on the Netflix series now that the first one was pretty well received.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I received an email from Amazon:

"Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron 2-Disc BD Combo Pack (3D BD+BD+Digital HD) [Blu-ray]"
Estimated arrival date: October 02, 2015

Yes, I know I'm one of those weirdos that likes physical media. Enjoy the release date.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
An actual screener version is popping up on the torrent sites now. Watched it last night. I was a little disappointed in Ultron as a villain, it felt like his "power level" was a lot lower than it should have been. For the final showdown I'd much rather have seen all the Avengers taking on a single, but incredibly badass, Ultron rather than hordes of mindless one-shottable robot suits whose only threat was in their numbers. Also how quickly QS and SW switched sides felt way off. They spent a decent chunk of time establishing their deep-rooted hate for Stark and then they basically get one line to say "wait, you want to kill humanity, whelp guess we are Avengers now!"

The other thing that had me a little confused was the credits scene with Thanos. I mean, I get they are setting up the Infinity Wars, but I'm trying to figure out what happened in AoU that would prompt him to start taking direct action now. Was he expecting Ultron to somehow bring him the stone, did he only learn that Loki had lost the scepter (and hence the gem) due to the events of AoU? Maybe I'm overthinking it, I dunno.

Overall another solid effort for Marvel, sure they've had better moments in other films but I still enjoyed it.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Well all the people Thanos has entrusted gems to or tasked to bring him gems have failed, so he's gonna get his hands dirty now.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Well all the people Thanos has entrusted gems to or tasked to bring him gems have failed, so he's gonna get his hands dirty now.
No, I understand that. I just don't understand what happens in Age Of Ultron to make him get off his ass. Best I can figure is he only learned Loki lost the staff/gem because of the AoU events, but that is the closest I can figure to a connection between the events in the movie and Thanos deciding to get his hands dirty. Maybe there is no connection to be made at all and it was just a "btw, this is also happening" thing. /shrug

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it was inferred that he's getting involved because of AoU, but I think the reality is that it was unconnected and he just wants his gems now. Or maybe that he knows where the gems are some how and knows that the avengers keep getting involved with them. I mean at this point his only saving grace is that no one knows what they do or how to use them together. He's probably getting real antsy knowing they are all starting to be close

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well up until AoU, every gem was just sitting around somewhere, with exception of Ronan using one for a short period of time, before it then gets locked up again. Now, one of them is literally inside an android's head, and he has immense power because of it. Perhaps it's that?