Avengers: Age of Ultron

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Towards the end, when Hawkeye is with the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver comes up and carries her off, leaving Hawkeye behind. Hawkeye raises his bow in a mocking gesture to shoot him, and says like 4 lines of dialogue, but for whatever reason I couldn't understand a single word except "little bastard". What did he say?
"Nobody would know. Nobody. When I found him, Ultron was sitting on him. Yeah, he'll be missed, quick little bastard. I miss him already."
?Hawkeye

OK, something that occurred to me. In Captian America 1 they mention that his shield is the "world's supply" of vibranium. Now, knowing that Wakanda exists and that they have some we know that wasn't true. Seeing Ultron acquire enough to both pull off the "new body" action AND build a device capable of lifting an entire city that tells me that unlike the 616 continuity there's a decent amount around (especially now if they just salvage/scrap all that which fell out of the sky). So my question is :

Why hasn't Tony Stark build a vibranium armor suit yet?

Strangely sources on the interweb actually indicate that Stark uses it as the current power source for the arc reactors he uses. SO obviously he has access to it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Without knowing Stark's level of tie in to Civil War, do you think they missed the opportunity to do exactly what the trailers were suggesting for Ultron? Specifically, instead of being research that escaped into a body would it have been better for Tony to actually create a working Ultron software with an Iron Legion presence worldwide? That would raise the bar above a prototype level mishap relying on random Hydra robotics lab factory to the culmination of Stark technology, built and paid for by Stark, going horribly wrong on a global (and publicly visible scale).

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Seems very possible that all of the public blame for this will still fall on Tony Stark.
That's very true. He did say he wanted to live on a farm with Pepper. He knows what's about to hit him PR wise. I want him in space at the end of Civil War. Stark and Starlord would be comedic win. That would get the guardians to earth for A3

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The whole point of the Hulk, as far as audience goes, is to see a conflicted man torn between his meek nature and his overwhelming inner rage that leads to crazy rampages. And yes, it's fun to see him fuck shit up. But making him a cosmic-level threat that can never stop growing angrier and bigger because reasons, well that won't fly with the audience that makes these movies one billion dollars.

As far as I'm concerned, they made extra sure to lay it thick that Banner had helped design the Hulkbuster and the whole Veronica system around it, so I'm not really bothered by it. Plus, they never really show him get BEATEN, he's just knocked back to his senses (when he emerges from the rubble and is clearly not red-eyed anymore).. And I don't remember anyone complaining about Avengers 1 when Hulk clearly gets "knocked out" from falling off the Helicarrier and cratering down into an old abandonned factory.. I guess he should have been angrier from the fall and jumped right back onto the Helicarrier eh?

As for the sucker punch after the Hulkbuster fight, it was just a callback to the same funny thing in Avengers 1, nothing to get overly analytic about.

If you're going to get an ulcer because Hulk isn't grabbing Galactus by the ankles and swinging him around to beat on Thanos, then you're not the target audience for these movies.
This has always been my biggest problem with Hulk. There's dumb comic books where it's like "Bruce Banner is asleep and they nuke him but as he is disintegrating he is getting angrier so he turns into the Hulk and is safe lolololol". Somewhere that became the norm of resolution for the Hulk and it is basically the supes problem where you have to make contrived and ridiculous shit up to pose a threat or make an interesting problem for the character. Bleh.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The Hulk has always been a problem to write for adults. It's a teenage power fantasy (ofc most comics are) but there is no nuance with the character. Playing it for laughs and then throwing a little pathos on top was about the best Whedon could do before shuffling him offstage for now (you know he will be back in Infinity War 2). Before the usual suspects start banging on about Planet Hulk and World War Hulk they should remember that those stories do not fit the MCU at all.
Saw the film on Friday and thought it was on a par with Avengers 1 but in a different way. More focussed I felt with different pacing. Played for laughs a little more too.
Marvel remains a licence to print money and people are entertained. The definition of win/win.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
$187 million for the weekend, 84-57-46 for the three days compared to 81-70-57 for the first installment. Fight night may have impacted Late Saturday / Early Sunday sales.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Can we all, at least agree about one thing?

Scarlet Johansson is too old to play Black Widow. I mean, she's 30. It's just gross.

scarlett-johansson-old.jpg

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
"Nobody would know. Nobody. When I found him, Ultron was sitting on him. Yeah, he'll be missed, quick little bastard. I miss him already."
?Hawkeye

OK, something that occurred to me. In Captian America 1 they mention that his shield is the "world's supply" of vibranium. Now, knowing that Wakanda exists and that they have some we know that wasn't true. Seeing Ultron acquire enough to both pull off the "new body" action AND build a device capable of lifting an entire city that tells me that unlike the 616 continuity there's a decent amount around (especially now if they just salvage/scrap all that which fell out of the sky). So my question is :

Why hasn't Tony Stark build a vibranium armor suit yet?

Strangely sources on the interweb actually indicate that Stark uses it as the current power source for the arc reactors he uses. SO obviously he has access to it.
Regarding vibranium, I think in this movie they implied that Howard Stark got the last vibranium that was allowed to leave Wakanda. Klaw stole what he had. I presume this event may be something that leads to them trying to re-establish contact with Wakanda. Seeing as how Banner had no idea about that place, I imagine it keeps itself quiet and isolated. But with the Black Panther movie upcoming, and Klaw in this, obviously Wakanda needs to show up.

Other things from the movie that are interesting are that along with the Friday Chip, Stark had a Jocasta chip as well. I wonder if she will replace Jarvis in the future movies.

And then Helen Cho, I believe, is Amadeus Cho's mother. I wonder if we will see the 7th smartest person in the world show up in these movies.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since vibranium is supposed to absorb vibrations, does Cap's shield or Ultron's body need to be fully vibranium or would a vibranium coating achieve the same results? Considering the quantity that was stolen in Avengers 2, I assumed that Ultron had used most of it to create Vision's body, and then used the rest to coat himself a new buffer body and coat the axle of his doomsday device.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Sticking the mind gem in the Vision's head, having him played as sort of a contemplative ultra-human as well, kind of leads me to believe that he is the Adam Warlock stand-in for when the Infinity War movies come out.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sticking the mind gem in the Vision's head, having him played as sort of a contemplative ultra-human as well, kind of leads me to believe that he is the Adam Warlock stand-in for when the Infinity War movies come out.
Yeah, that makes more sense in the scope of the movies. They've spen't so much time building up thanos but haven't done anything with warlock minus the cacoon easter egg. Would seem a little too dues ex machina-y to just introduce him so late in the game.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
They will introduce Adam like they did Vision. Oh look, what is this cocoon? Let's do something about it, POOF Adam Warlock. Cue in 5 mins of random screen time with key parts dealing with Thanos, good guys win. The end.

Damaru_sl

shitlord
Anyone else find it weird that Cap's broken shield didn't appear anywhere?

Unless I missed it and it was part of Thor's "revelation" in the pool that connected worlds where he saw The Vision and it was inferring to Thanos breaking it in the Infinity Gauntlet series? Wouldn't that mean Thor is aware of it happening now?

EDIT: Just realized it was probably part of the hallucination where they're all dead. I think it was Tony's?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Really, really fun movie. Busy as hell, but it was all a bunch of fun. The only part that really stuck out as totally random was Thor's jaunt to the random pools of magic water.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I just got back from seeing this. While I thought it was definitely good, I still think it's easily adistant5th in the MCU, behind Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, IM1, and GotG. I think some of that is simply because we've already seen an Avengers movie before. Whereas with the first Avengers, it felt like a culmination of all the movies before it. It was incredibly awesome to finally see all of these heroes, who at that point had only really had individual movies/cameos, finallyassemble.So, I think a lot of Age of Ultron's flaws were more easily noticeable without the "Wow!" factor clouding plot holes, stupid lines, pointless characters, etc.

The movie spent way too much time on exposition and appeasement in the first half. We already know these characters, we don't really need to rehash their character flaws for the 8th time and have them argue and bicker like 13 year old school girls. Plus, as has been mentioned, we already saw that plot in the first movie. The exposition would've been about a million times better and more palatable had they spent it on developing Ultron and giving Spader more screen time.

On the appeasement side, we get a fucking billionaire playboy and the god of motherfucking lightning pedestalizing their women, fighting over which girl is the better "catch". Right, because when faced with those 2 options as suiters, it's definitely the men who are getting the better deal..
rolleyes.png
. Then, Black Widow follows it up with the incredibly sexist remark, "Testosterone! Hmmph!". Right, because men are just a bunch of neanderthals, controlled only by their dicks and egos. But, it only insults men, so it's totally cool! I realize bitching about it makes me just as bad as the SJWs, but I'm getting so sick and fucking tired of entertainment mediums hamfisting incredibly misandric dialogue through. All in an effort to appease a loud-mouthed, unappeasable, vocal minority of miserable fucking people. It's a giant double-standard that continues to alienate the very people your product is intended for. Cutting off your nose to spite your face always works out well..

That being said, by the time "Victoria" shows up, the movie really starts to hit its stride. The wheels that were seriously in danger of falling off in the first half, get bolted back on in a hurry and it's off to the races for the rest of the film. The Vision stuff, Scarlet Witch going into Turbo Bitch mode, and Warmachine showing up out of nowhere and kicking ass were all great moments - I love when heroes start coming out of the woodwork to help out. It's like in wrastlin', when all of a sudden, "good guy" wrestler X's music blares out of nowhere and you know shit is about to go down. It just does something to my inner 8 year old that can't be explained.

7.5/10