Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of you like Disney's version of things better. That's fine. I don't.

Their rewrite / redo of the Mandarin was a joke.

No Adam Warlock in Infinity Saga is too.

Cuckfeet the NuBlizzard worshipper appearing as expected.

I feel where you are coming from, it is a let down to not see the original story in all it's glory, more than a let down to be honest. That being said, it doesn't rustle my jimmies because I feel like they did an excellent job with their take on things (with some notable exceptions, their tragically shitty take on Mandarin being the epitome example), but more to the point, I don't believe they could have done a verbatim adaptation the justice it deserves. I don't think some of the original would have translated as well either, with some of the crazier shit being something literally no one could translate into cinema in a manner that would truly satisfy how most of us imagined it in the moment, let alone how some people remember things. It's been quite some time since I read the original Infinity Saga, I'm positive I don't remember a good bit of it, and incorrectly remember a lot of it to some degree. I much prefer they did their own thing overall, pulling characters and settings from source material, and crafting a new story, than them more than likely butchering my childhood memories in totality had they tried to copypasta the whole thing.

The only way they could redeem what they did with Mandarin in IM3, would be to have the whole scenario being a ploy by the Mandarin the entire time. Using the 10 Rings of Power, he set the whole Extremis plot into motion, manipulating Killian and crew, while playing his role as the dithering old burn out actor to observe and study anyone who might rise to challenge him. He would make a really good and "powerful enough to be believable" main baddy for the Avengers to take on post Endgame. Ben Kingsley more than has the acting chops to pull it off, but sadly I don't believe they will do anything even remotely like that, and it's more likely they'll never do anything else with it and let it lay as is, or recast/reboot him completely later with little to no explanation. I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually "likes" what they did with Mandarin in IM3 (which is not to say I didn't enjoy Kingsley doing what he did, had he been anybody else), and if I did, I'd likely slap them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I feel where you are coming from, it is a let down to not see the original story in all it's glory, more than a let down to be honest. That being said, it doesn't rustle my jimmies because I feel like they did an excellent job with their take on things (with some notable exceptions, their tragically shitty take on Mandarin being the epitome example), but more to the point, I don't believe they could have done a verbatim adaptation the justice it deserves. I don't think some of the original would have translated as well either, with some of the crazier shit being something literally no one could translate into cinema in a manner that would truly satisfy how most of us imagined it in the moment, let alone how some people remember things. It's been quite some time since I read the original Infinity Saga, I'm positive I don't remember a good bit of it, and incorrectly remember a lot of it to some degree. I much prefer they did their own thing overall, pulling characters and settings from source material, and crafting a new story, than them more than likely butchering my childhood memories in totality had they tried to copypasta the whole thing.

The only way they could redeem what they did with Mandarin in IM3, would be to have the whole scenario being a ploy by the Mandarin the entire time. Using the 10 Rings of Power, he set the whole Extremis plot into motion, manipulating Killian and crew, while playing his role as the dithering old burn out actor to observe and study anyone who might rise to challenge him. He would make a really good and "powerful enough to be believable" main baddy for the Avengers to take on post Endgame. Ben Kingsley more than has the acting chops to pull it off, but sadly I don't believe they will do anything even remotely like that, and it's more likely they'll never do anything else with it and let it lay as is, or recast/reboot him completely later with little to no explanation. I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually "likes" what they did with Mandarin in IM3 (which is not to say I didn't enjoy Kingsley doing what he did, had he been anybody else), and if I did, I'd likely slap them.

The one shot fixes the error and shows the audience that there is a real Mandarin out there.

Either way the whole argument is pointless. There is not going to be another Iron Man movie and Mandarin probably won't ever be used anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The one shot fixes the error and shows the audience that there is a real Mandarin out there.

Either way the whole argument is pointless. There is not going to be another Iron Man movie and Mandarin probably won't ever be used anyway.

I had never seen that, neat that they left it open so they could use Mandarin later, also sad to see that they wasted Kingsley overall, but also kind of happy because Kingsley is hilarious as Trevor and now I don't have to be upset that he was the Mandarin. What do you think the over under is on them revealing the real Mandarin as a Muslim woman, and finishing the bed shitting that they started?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

thats cool. are there more like that?

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
5 total.
The Consultant
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
Item 47
Agent Carter
and All Hail the King.

• 3Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is where we are going to see Avengers: Endgame. So choice, I highly recommend them. Its the only place we go on opening days.
IPIC theaters

Another 360 Degree view of theater

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bricktop

Trakanon Raider
That looks amazing. I usually hit up alamo drafthouse. There is one in north austin. Gonna have to go check that out soon. Their menu looks decent but pricey.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Some of you like Disney's version of things better. That's fine. I don't.

Their rewrite / redo of the Mandarin was a joke.

No Adam Warlock in Infinity Saga is too.

Cuckfeet the NuBlizzard worshipper appearing as expected.
Not that anyone would necessarily remember this, but I consider myself one of the biggest Adam Warlock (and Beta Ray Bill) fans around. I've even had him as my avatar here at various times. My greatest wish was to have Warlock in these movies. But, I'm actually glad that they didn't just try to shoehorn him in last minute without a proper introduction in a previous movie. It would have taken away from the story of Thanos, which was amazing in the first movie. And Endgame appears to be the swan song of the original Avengers team, so sticking him into Endgame as the savior would have taken away from that story as well. (Coincidentally, that's why I still believe that Captain Marvel isn't going to just swoop in and own Thanos like Chuk and others think because "gurl power"; this movie isn't about her, it is about the 11 years of build-up to this point, and putting a cap on the end of the story. Or Cap(tain America) perhaps.)

While I would have loved to see an exact replica of the comics, it would have been almost impossible because they'd have to toss in characters we've never seen yet, substitute characters that they didn't have the rights to, remove ones that were never there (no GotG, etc.) and in general just ruin the whole fucking thing. On top of that, the Russo's specifically have said that there is no point in making an exact replica, because if people want to see that version of the story, all they have to do is go buy those comics and read them. They wanted to make a similar but different, and still compelling, version of the original story so that even fanbois like me don't know exactly what to expect. I know we all rage about why don't they just stick to the fucking story, and a lot of times we're right, but they have a point. If you want to make an exact duplicate story...where is the challenge in that? I feel they equaled, and perhaps exceeded even, the comic story. That rarely happens, and I sympathize with your opinion because of all the times that opinion has been correct, but I think this is one of those times they were justified in their approach.

So now, assuming that Endgame is as awesome as Infinity War, I have two versions of this epic story, the comics and the movies, and I can enjoy them both. You're entitled to your opinion, and like I said I really wanted Warlock to be pivotal in these movies too, but did you truly not find anything to enjoy in the first movie because they changed it from the comic? The Mandarin thing, hell I think that was terrible and stupid too, but Infinity War, to me, was a goddamn masterpiece and I feel lucky that I live in a time where I get to see these movies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
THEY SHOULDA HAD HIM IN A PREVIOUS MOVIE THEN IN THIS

*gets dragged off by the orderlies*

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Brad2770

Mandarin could be used with Dr. Strange. Not really sure if they squared off in the comics as I didn’t read Dr. Strange.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not that anyone would necessarily remember this, but I consider myself one of the biggest Adam Warlock (and Beta Ray Bill) fans around. I've even had him as my avatar here at various times. My greatest wish was to have Warlock in these movies. But, I'm actually glad that they didn't just try to shoehorn him in last minute without a proper introduction in a previous movie. It would have taken away from the story of Thanos, which was amazing in the first movie. And Endgame appears to be the swan song of the original Avengers team, so sticking him into Endgame as the savior would have taken away from that story as well. (Coincidentally, that's why I still believe that Captain Marvel isn't going to just swoop in and own Thanos like Chuk and others think because "gurl power"; this movie isn't about her, it is about the 11 years of build-up to this point, and putting a cap on the end of the story. Or Cap(tain America) perhaps.)

While I would have loved to see an exact replica of the comics, it would have been almost impossible because they'd have to toss in characters we've never seen yet, substitute characters that they didn't have the rights to, remove ones that were never there (no GotG, etc.) and in general just ruin the whole fucking thing. On top of that, the Russo's specifically have said that there is no point in making an exact replica, because if people want to see that version of the story, all they have to do is go buy those comics and read them. They wanted to make a similar but different, and still compelling, version of the original story so that even fanbois like me don't know exactly what to expect. I know we all rage about why don't they just stick to the fucking story, and a lot of times we're right, but they have a point. If you want to make an exact duplicate story...where is the challenge in that? I feel they equaled, and perhaps exceeded even, the comic story. That rarely happens, and I sympathize with your opinion because of all the times that opinion has been correct, but I think this is one of those times they were justified in their approach.

So now, assuming that Endgame is as awesome as Infinity War, I have two versions of this epic story, the comics and the movies, and I can enjoy them both. You're entitled to your opinion, and like I said I really wanted Warlock to be pivotal in these movies too, but did you truly not find anything to enjoy in the first movie because they changed it from the comic? The Mandarin thing, hell I think that was terrible and stupid too, but Infinity War, to me, was a goddamn masterpiece and I feel lucky that I live in a time where I get to see these movies.
the Captain Godmode swooping in to save all the Avengers with her grrrlpowah is really the only worry i have about this movie, i think something like that is likely to happen, based on what Feige has said in interviews about her being the most powerful character in the MCU and the face of the MCU after Endgame. i didnt pull that out of my ass. if thats just a fakeout then its fine.

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
As an aside, I just finally realized that they kept the old schtick of someone losing an arm during the Infinity War. It's just that, since it's Groot, he regrows it usually fast.

(said arm being use as a handle for Stormbreaker)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
CYDyynE.jpg

The difference between a character and just reading lines.

When a fucking passive, secondary, throw away character is more interesting than a supposed main character who is expected to be the face and future of the Avengers...

Would still pay for his synopsis of the Infinity War and the Stones. Would pay extra for ice cream toppings.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Why would Captain Marvel showing up to win be so bad?
Because that's fucking lazy. You don't introduce a character at the 7th hour to solve a situation that has been birthed of 11 years of movies.

Would be like Black Widow stabbing Thanos, sticking her hand in the glove and then Stark stroking her engorged clit. Doesn't make any God damn sense.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1WTF

Hosix

All labs matter!
Because that's fucking lazy. You don't introduce a character at the 7th hour to solve a situation that has been birthed of 11 years of movies.

Would be like Black Widow stabbing Thanos, sticking her hand in the glove and then Stark stroking her engorged clit. Doesn't make any God damn sense.

Well....if that black widow part is in this movie? I am seeing it a few times. No kids.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Disney showed "several minutes" of the movie, and one scene showed Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) telling the Avengers that they plan to kill Thanos. They might not have succeeded in Infinity War, but Captain Marvel says in the new footage, "Before, you didn't have me."

Captain Marvel the character is incredibly powerful, so she'll no doubt be able to help the Avengers in whatever plan they've come up with. Her debut in the MCU was teased in an after-credits scene of Avengers: Infinity War before getting her own solo film this year--marking Marvel's final movie before the release of Endgame.
Also in the new footage, Captain America (Chris Evans) loses his subdued attitude and bluntly states about Thanos, "Let's get that son of a bitch." ComicBook also saw the footage, and the site reports that the footage included Nebula saying she knows where Thanos is, and that Captain Marvel has a cocky attitude and believes Thanos has never faced someone as powerful as her. Captain Marvel also apparently talks about wanting to use the Infinity Stones to undo Thanos' snap.