Avengers: Endgame (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Infinity War was vastly superior to Endgame. While there are some really cool fan service things in Endgame and the end fight was badass the retarded time travel plot holes kind doesn’t hold up to multiple views.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's really not a fair comparison. Endgame is nothing without Infinity War and you had to close the story with Endgame. Also, you couldn't just write Endgame just any old way you wanted to because it involved real people with career decisions and everything else that comes with real life. The reason Endgame is special is not because of the movie itself but because the were able to tell 22 different stories with actors, egos, creative agreements and differences, and so much more and still execute and conclude what they did. Star Wars failed to do that with two movies with a handful of different writers and directors and not just Stars but several other franchises have suffered similar fates. Somehow the MCU people did it, we could nitpick Endgame all day and I agree with 99% of what everyone has said to this point including that IW is a supper movie. I'm not necessarily calling any post out but I'm still blown away that this happened. 10 years, 22 movies, 100's of people and we the fans got what they got. I'm not sure that will ever happen again at least in my lifetime. I just don't know how you can raise the bar over the next 10 years but I can't wait to see if they try.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

spronk

FPS noob
2dnj1594z3x21.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider

That's cool and all but I feel like $53k is pretty low, especially if it's an actual movie prop. Dudes were dropping that much for game worn jerseys and shoes at the last sports charity banquet I was at.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
his tech skirts morals, he gave his tech to a high school kid that has massacre'd a literal horde.

Remember when spidy had the gauntlet and he was getting mobbed he said "activate instant-kill" and his spidey legs were straight up jabbing aliens through the throat.

It was the right call but that kid just murdered the shit out of a lot of aliens. I am curious if in the next movie they make reference to that.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is ridiculously low for that, unless it was a private auction that had zero publicity to any of the nerd millionares who would have dropped 6-7 figures on it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Yea, i'm guessing Apatow or Rogan asked for something from the set and the money was just a way to make it not seem so selfish.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
D6Gm3D6UUAAQdmr.jpg

A franchise with 22 films over 10 years is going to break all records. Meanwhile somehow its "exhaustion" that makes Star Wars fail. =-/ Least they were classy enough to give the nod.

I just want Endgame to destroy Avatar to really shut Cameron up about superhero movies.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
its like she's secret trolling everyone. she's jizzing herself over the dumbest scene of this movie and demanding there be more of it. that bit about all women and only women working together is folly. bitches do not get along. you get 2 bitches in a room, they're best friends. you get 3 and one will talk shit about at least one of them.

She is trying to get fired before a sequel is made to CM that destroys her career.

She dodged the bullet once and can retire CM as billion dollar movie or take another swig and likely have it bomb.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
She is trying to get fired before a sequel is made to CM that destroys her career.

She dodged the bullet once and can retire CM as billion dollar movie or take another swig and likely have it bomb.
well, if its true that Spidey is going to be the new Iron Man, maybe they woke from their wokeness? i wont hold my breath though.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Spider isn’t going to be the new anything, his last line of the movie is going to be him swinging towards the camera saying “I am Spider Man”.

That’s my guess, Spider-Man is too iconic to be anything but SpiderMan.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
well, if its true that Spidey is going to be the new Iron Man, maybe they woke from their wokeness? i wont hold my breath though.

The way it's cut in the trailer where Spidey says "We need a new Iron Man" I think he's talking about Mysterio. If the contracts are worked out and Marvel knows they own Holland's soul for like 5-6 more movies than he is most likely going to be the Iron Man replacement. It hasn't been shown too much but Spidey is supposed to be really smart and he has the his personal connection with Iron Man and now Happy. I assume he probably gets some of the Stark company maybe?

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Did something change with the Marvel-Sony agreement? Using spiderman as a bridge between P3 and 4 is one thing, but making him the face of the MCU I just don't see. They'll find someone in phase 4 that works and center things around them. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a character with successful solo movies, IM arguably had 2 of the worst MCU movies. Of course you could argue that IM2 and IM3 were lower tier precisely because they focused more on his character arc than being great stand alone blockbusters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I don't know Spidey (the IP's) current situation. But thinking back on endgame, Marvel arguably pushes Spidey, Ant-Man, and Strange more than even Black Panther. That's a lot of wasted promo for Spidey if the contract is over in one or two more crossovers.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wouldn't mind them doing a Spider Man and the Web Warriors 5 or 6 movie tangent, wouldn't mind at all.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
we don't really know the fine print of the spidey deal, there was some talk about weird specifics, like they can only use peter parker as spider-man (not miles or any other version), he can't be black, he can't be gay (WE LAUGHED SO HARD ABOUT THAT BUT SONY KNEW WHAT WAS UP)

it's possible that they worked out some deals that said they could use spider-man as long as they built up the character (as opposed to having him just be a side character, along the lines of mantis)

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we don't really know the fine print of the spidey deal, there was some talk about weird specifics, like they can only use peter parker as spider-man (not miles or any other version), he can't be black, he can't be gay (WE LAUGHED SO HARD ABOUT THAT BUT SONY KNEW WHAT WAS UP)

it's possible that they worked out some deals that said they could use spider-man as long as they built up the character (as opposed to having him just be a side character, along the lines of mantis)
Marvel instead made him a coal burner

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just watched Infinity War again, and yeah, that movie is 10x more cohesive, pacing is damn near perfect, transitions are much cleaner between scenes, it felt logical in its ordering and shifting between characters/subplots. There's not much in the way of "cheese". It's mostly matter of fact, characters dealing with things as they come. Realized it was Tony's fault that Captain isn't there when he's fighting with Strange, even though he bitches at him for not being there in Endgame. YA DIDN'T CALL EM WHEN YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY YA DICK. He did do the most ass kicking, though, from the very beginning he's essentially stalemate with Thanos's underlings, then fights with Thanos for like 45 minutes, and makes him bleed, "If you could make God bleed, people would cease to believe in Him," Whiplash in IM2... but still gets wrecked because he's doing all the fighting by himself. The only really dumb moment is Wakanda being almost entirely a ground encounter. The ending is much less shocking after viewing it a few times, and honestly it cuts to credits rather abruptly. Then has the lamest post credit scene.

Other than Hawkeye's family scene, Endgame has a clunky beginning. Captain Marvel shows up but it doesn't matter because they've now "double lost". You have multiple deus ex machina, the rat, Ant Man coming back, and Tony solving time travel in what feels like a separate short story from the rest of the movie. It feels very "episodic" in its moments, where you could have split it into about 5 or so episodes. So Infinity War also had a girl power moment, where Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and spear chucker combine to fight lady minion. Lady minion says, "You're alone, now," or something, and someone says "She has help," and all the girls attack, which is basically what also happens in Endgame, just turned up to 12. Not 11, 12. They went too far, and went even further. And characters came out of no where, while in IW, they're very nearby on the battlefield.

Fat Thor is them also taking it too far. He ate the power of a star in IW, and Stormbreaker basically recharged his ass, so it doesn't make much sense his weakening in EG, other than to enable other characters to rise up who were sidelined in IW, namely Captain America. I mean, Stormbreaker busts through the power of the gauntlet with all of the stones, and yet Thanos kicks more ass without the gauntlet. Is that armor and sword staff that can carve through the shield stronger than the gauntlet? What. Power level inconsistency is really bad in Endgame.

The theme of the movie is also all over the place. There's too much of a separation and clunkiness when going between serious scenes and quirky, funny scenes, without much transition clarity. Hawkeye's family gets dusted, the team kill Thanos but ultimately fail, then you get a bunch of time travel movie jokes. The time travel scenes are fun, very well done, but it hops from hilariousness of the space stone to extreme seriousness with the soul stone. Some of the jokes also feel slightly jarring for the theme of the scene.

That said, Endgame is 100x more emotionally impactful. Heart was in the right place, but the big problem that was overlooked in creating Endgame was purely compositional with a couple heavy handed cheese moments.

Endgame also has so many more badass moments. IW has Groot creating the handle, Thor showing up and wrecking, but otherwise they're basically getting their ass beat. The hammer flying to Captain America, literally the most chills inspiring moment in all of the God damn movies. Scarlet Witch got her moment. That whole 45 minutes I was on the edge of my seat. Looking forward to seeing the screens when the 4K master comes out.

As far as re-watch ability, Infinity War is where it's at. Though honestly I could watch the first Avengers more than the rest of them, to the point I've basically memorized the lines. I'm kinna worried how I'm gonna feel after watching Endgame more than once. That shit fucked me up in public. Didn't realize I gave as much of a shit about Black Widow as I did (fucking killer acting, pardon the pun). And again, the movie as a whole is very disjointed. Is it a drama, is it a family movie, is it a romance movie, is it a comedy, is it a heist, is it a time travel movie, is it a redemption movie, IS IT A CHRISTMAS MOVIE (no), all of the above!

Side note, Dolby Vision on Infinity War made the viewing experience at home even better than it was in the cinema. Light peaking out from around objects gives a level of brightness and depth that isn't quite as present on the big screen. That said, it also makes background CGI that isn't as clean as closeups look slightly off - Bruce's head in the busted Hulkbuster, for example.

Anywho, rant over.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users