Barbie (2023)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There it is peak big brain nonsense. Mother fucker is raging over a toy line/movie named after the female main character, aimed at little girls, with an accessory male figure

"They lied in order to draw in the washed up Everquest boomer MAGA audience! I feel so cheated I'm going to burn my Malibu Stacey collection right now!!!"

At the supermarket but imagine that Smithers Strippers gif with Barbie marketing caption for the strippers and LiquidDeath LiquidDeath as smithers. Also caption one of the thots as "carbs" for measure.

Actually make "for good measure" as "icing on the cake"
It's not just for the women. See, I think a lot of guys here would actually relate really well to Ken. He gets friend zoned by a woman he obsesses over and turns that anger into self empowerment and female exclusion/subjugation. Kencel, Ken going his own way. He doesn't succeed in the end but that's what the Ken sequel will be for!

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
See, I think a lot of guys here

a lot is being awfully harsh, I mean off the top of my head I can only think of Nirgon Nirgon Bandwagon Bandwagon Rajaah Rajaah Chukzombi Chukzombi Gavinmad Gavinmad

ok yeah, I see your point

1690051570622.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
What a shock Shapiro and Drinker made whine fest videos about this ones. Oh no a Greta Gertwig movie is feminist! No fucking shit, everyone with critical thinking skills knew what what it was going to be.

I'm confused where the lie was here? They showed Barbie getting sexually harrased and punching a dude, Ken having no idea who a mixed gender sleepover would entail, and him being a fashion accessory all in the trailers. I figured the "Barbie World" was a little girl playing with her Barbies like Lego movie was.

In fact I give them props for hiding the fact it was so overtly feminist instead of shouting it from the rooftops, audiences seem to love it anyways and the only people really crying are not even remotely near the target audience.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What a shock Shapiro and Drinker made whine fest videos about this ones. Oh no a Greta Gertwig movie is feminist! No fucking shit, everyone with critical thinking skills knew what what it was going to be.

I'm confused where the lie was here? They showed Barbie getting sexually harrased and punching a dude, Ken having no idea who a mixed gender sleepover would entail, and him being a fashion accessory all in the trailers. I figured the "Barbie World" was a little girl playing with her Barbies like Lego movie was.

In fact I give them props for hiding the fact it was so overtly feminist instead of shouting it from the rooftops, audiences seem to love it anyways and the only people really crying are not even remotely near the target audience.
you with good company on this side of the argument.
iu

Xevy

Log Wizard
Movie for adult women hated by aging incels.

More news at 11!

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This movie isn't for men, and I won't watch it but isn't that the point? Good for them. Perfectly marketed movie that knows it's audience. If only the rest of Hollywood, etc would understand this message. Your goal is to make money by making a movie your audience would enjoy. Now say it over and over until you understand the purpose of entertainment.....

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Movie for adult women hated by aging incels.

More news at 11!

Failed streamer teams up with degenerate dog fucker to call men with wives and children incels. Sounds about right.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 6 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Failed streamer teams up with degenerate dog fucker to call men with wives and children incels. Sounds about right.
Look. Don't take their low quality bait style counter trolling to serious.

The same 4 retards always take the same contrairian point that is about as dumb as chuks persona of being an out of touch weird as fuck loner.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, the barbie movie is one of those movies that gets a pass for being woke trash. Like, their audience is literally retarded white women. It's not like we're subverting some beloved franchise here.

My interest is 0, so no idea how woke it is.

Yeah I don't care if this movie is woke, matter of fact this is one of those times where it'd be appropriate.

It's a very different thing to subvert a beloved franchise and turn a strong male role model into a weak bumbling oaf.

This isn't subverting anything, it's just being what one would expect.

I also think people have a need for a bubbly, happy movie at the moment with the real world unsure if it's gonna go up in apocalyptic smoke or not (war with Russia, and the people who don't think that's any kind of big deal are the people who think the climate is about to fry all of us, so basically everyone has something to worry about).

DickTrickle

I didn't have plans to see this until the hate reviews made me curious enough. As a film, it was actually fairly funny but definitely disjointed at times. It could have used another editing pass to actually tie it together better. If comedies ever got awards I could see Gosling picking up an Oscar for his performance.

Also, I now realize all the outrage over misandry is just a giant whoosh. It's a role reversal story meant to make you think about the arc/plight of women in real life. There's constant parallels and you're not ever meant to think the Kens deserve their second class citizen role, imo. Even the ending that is still oppressing is just another play on the role reversal even if it seems like men dismissal to some degree. The President responding to the plea for a Supreme Court seat gets that across clearly.

The movie's message is as much about finding your true self and not living to the standards of others as it is feminist empowerment. Like, don't get me wrong, it's fully a feminist movie but it's not men hating like it's portrayed to be. It definitely has what would be considered a preachy monologue, but there's a lot of subtlety to what's going on otherwise.

Anyone who doesn't get what's going on is because they're incapable of reading any subtext and can only interpret things at complete literal value. I honestly felt that it was almost too overt at times. Some of the controversial lines about Barbies being fascist or the dad learning Spanish as cultural appropriation are not meant to be taken straight and the movie undermines the idea that they should be. This is not a zealot's film.

I could see someone disagreeing with the film's perspective and maybe it's overstating its case. It's a little heavy handed at times but the film is so extreme in all aspects I'm not sure that even feels out of place. The line between satire and critique is fine at times, but saying it's evil is so silly.

7ish/10. Funny, interesting, well acted/directed, but in need of an editor. Still, naturally, it has a bunch of Barbie fan service that did nothing for me.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Yeah I don't care if this movie is woke, matter of fact this is one of those times where it'd be appropriate.

It's a very different thing to subvert a beloved franchise and turn a strong male role model into a weak bumbling oaf.

This isn't subverting anything, it's just being what one would expect.

I also think people have a need for a bubbly, happy movie at the moment with the real world unsure if it's gonna go up in apocalyptic smoke or not (war with Russia, and the people who don't think that's any kind of big deal are the people who think the climate is about to fry all of us, so basically everyone has something to worry about).
I wouldn't say it's a bubbly, happy movie. I mean, Barbie goes through an existential crisis as the motivating drive of the film. It ends with her eschewing the pink fake world she always lived in. It's still comedic but it's not, say, the female equivalent of Fast X or something.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
This shit was funny. Of course there’s some feminist garbage in it, it’s a Barbie movie. As sensitive as we are to “the message” these days, yes, you’ll find some in your the movie, but it didn’t come across like the usual insidious groomer bullshit and felt more akin to the old battle of the sexes type shit of simpler times. IDK, thought it was a fun, goofy film that didn’t take itself seriously and it got plenty of laughs out of me.

• 5Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 5 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
This shit was funny. Of course there’s some feminist garbage in it, it’s a Barbie movie. As sensitive as we are to “the message” these days, yes, you’ll find some in your the movie, but it didn’t come across like the usual insidious groomer bullshit and felt more akin to the old battle of the sexes type shit of simpler times. IDK, thought it was a fun, goofy film that didn’t take itself seriously and it got plenty of laughs out of me.
season 7 greasy buffoons GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Whoa, is this movie anywhere near as bad as Critical Drinker makes it sound? A two hour mean-spirited men-belittling session?

I kinda feel like this is more accurate. Critical Drinker is usually good with his assessments though.

So is this an old fashioned battle of the sexes, or a Modern Audiences mean-spirited nastiness fest?