Batman: Arkham Origins

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's different gadgets, and the Wayne Upgrade gives the current gadgets some pretty awesome flair.

The whole GOTHAM PROTECTOR, WORST NIGHTMARE, ETC. Progression shit is so fucking dumb. I'm stuck on the nightmare one because for some reason the game wont register me distracting people with the Sonic Batarang and then taking them down.
It's not obvious, but you need to do it three times. If you look in the top right it'll say x/3. As far as when it registers, I just waited for them to get right up on it and THEN did a take down to be sure.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Played this for many hours last night with the PS4 controller.

Solariss - you can connect it to a PC via a bluetooth receiver, but a lot of people are having trouble getting it working right now (not sure which receivers specifically work) or you can connect it via USB which works flawlessly, it's great.
Good to know! I might have a reason to go get a DS4 now. It is very hard to enjoy this game without a controller in my hand

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good to know! I might have a reason to go get a DS4 now. It is very hard to enjoy this game without a controller in my hand
Camera controls and gadgets are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch easier on the mouse and keyboard, almost makes me sad using a controller.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Ok so the general consesus is pretty good regardless of the dev changes?

Waiting to pull the trigger (as usual) until I get a decent gameplay video in tonight after DS2 beta and it sounds like you guys are enjoying it despite the differences...

Keep in mind, I JUST bought and played City and was only recently exposed to the series so changes probably won't even phase me as much. I haven't even finished City yet, although I don't think I'll mind jumping into Origins anyway.

::: Uh, this might be a really dumb question but Sean, how do you have a PS4 controller?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You should finish Asylum and City before even considering playing this one.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ya I agree. Play them in the order they were released for the best experience. You're not missing anything lore-wise by playing them in their lore chronological order.

Asylum was a classic. City expanded on it but lost some of Asylum's charm with the larger world. Origins is still fantastic but I think they overreached trying to prove that Rocksteady weren't the only ones with the magic dick.

Honestly, for me, they could keep releasing games under this formula and I'd buy them all on day one. The controls and gameplay are really tight. You feel pretty bad ass even though you can be very successful only using two buttons. Timing your strikes and reactions and mastering the flow of combat is super satisfying.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so the general consesus is pretty good regardless of the dev changes?

Waiting to pull the trigger (as usual) until I get a decent gameplay video in tonight after DS2 beta and it sounds like you guys are enjoying it despite the differences...

Keep in mind, I JUST bought and played City and was only recently exposed to the series so changes probably won't even phase me as much. I haven't even finished City yet, although I don't think I'll mind jumping into Origins anyway.

::: Uh, this might be a really dumb question but Sean, how do you have a PS4 controller?
Amazon.com: PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller: Video Games

Column_sl

shitlord
Just finished it, I would give it a strong 8/10

My ranking of the game would be..

1) Arkham City (Best batman story since Hush)
2) Arkham Asylum ( even tho it's very short, it was a very enjoyable experience, and pretty much should be the starting point of one of the greatest Batman story's ever told)
3) Arkham Origins ( Little more generic of a story, but great to go back to see how everything started)

Basically if you loved City, you will want this game.

Major changes would be the art direction imho. While the previous Arkhams were more comic book art, this one is more realistic from the City design to the characters.

On a side note, if no one would have told me these weren't the original voice actors I would have never even noticed. They sound exactly like them.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Really loving the game so far. I love Batman, and as someone sitting on retarded amounts of hardcover graphic Batman novels, well...I guess I'll buy anything BUT, I feel this was worth my money. (Despite the fact that I had to buy it twice because they didn't make a CE for PC.)

I saw a review where someone bitched about the fact that the city is empty, and I don't understand that criticism. Within the first 5 minutes it tells you why you won't see any civilians (snowstorm) and while gliding around and completing objectives there are shit tons of groups of criminals that come up on radar and crimes in progress that you get alerted to. So wtf?

Anyways, awesome game. Something to tide me over till BF/AC4 and COD. Jesus fuck what a rough quarter to tie me to my console/PC. (And I mean that in the most "Oh woe is me, but not really cuz there is nothing better than playing a game set during christmas during the holidays!" way possible.)

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Voice acting is top notch. I gotta say I love the new Batman voice versus the old. I'm sure I'll get some hate for that, but the original voice actor for Batman is soooo unbelievably bland to me. This new guy actually invokes some anger and humanity into the part, which gives Batman the layers he deserves. I felt as if the VA for Asylum and AC was just too monotone for all the shit he puts up with. Too robotic. This new dude just evokes controlled anger. Actually possesses some emotion this time around.

Also, and more interestingly, the dude that voices (Troy Baker) Joel in Last of us, and Booker Dewitt in Bioshock Infinite also voices took up the mantle for Joker, after Mark Hamill quit the part. It's uncanny how close he is. His talent is ridiculous. Skip to 2:00mins

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is anyone else experiencing a complete frame rate loss in Blackgate Prison? It feels like there's something seriously wrong with the code in there, as I play on max settings and have had 0 problems the entire game, but the second I get in to Blackgate where all the fires are, my frame rate drops to 3 FPS. I turned down all settings to the lowest possible and still getting the issue. Computer should be able to handle it with ease (like it has the rest of the game). But that lag is just unplayable. There's a fight coming up with a bunch of mobs that have shields/knives/guns/batons and I'm not even going to try. just closed the game and trying to find a solution.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a similar problem running the current Nvidia 331.58 drivers, but had issues w/ frame rate loss, so reverted back to 327.23 September 19, 2013. Fixed it for me, Sutekh, but if you're not running nvidia, not sure what to tell you. Running on Max settings myself, two 570gtx's.

Column_sl

shitlord
Running a nvidia Titan on latest drivers. Everything set to max including 8x msaa.
Whole game was smooth with no hiccups.

Also black gate was a bitch to get through

Solariss

Golden Squire
Camera controls and gadgets are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch easier on the mouse and keyboard, almost makes me sad using a controller.
I agree, but my only gripe is the combat is a little more difficult which might be a problem later in the game. I have a hard time dodging because I have to press 2 buttons on the keyboard at the same time. As opposed to moving in the direction with a joystick and hitting a button. Something about it just doesn't feel fluid and I can't get used to it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Think I just totally bugged out the Bird side-missions. Went and did the first one and the next step popped up at the docks. Then I went to the Batcave and for some reason it reset that quest back to the first step. Problem is, when I go to the marker there's no one to fight at all and I can't get it to trigger anything. I think I totally fucked it up. Pretty gay.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I can't seem to consistently do a drop attack on someone if I'm already gliding. If I'm already on the side of the building I just hold down the button, easy peasy. But I can't seem to master doing it while in the air =\

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I can't seem to consistently do a drop attack on someone if I'm already gliding. If I'm already on the side of the building I just hold down the button, easy peasy. But I can't seem to master doing it while in the air =\
I'm thinking it's probably bugged. I hold down left click to "glide kick" or whatever and he just lands next to my target. If I release space and only left click Batman just falls straight down.

While that Burnley tower bug is very frustrating and pretty much every player is going to experience it because it effects fast travel, that's really the onlyhugebug I've encountered. I could nitpick, but by no means do I feel like this wasn't worth $50. It's definitely the least polished of the series. I guess they just ran out of time.

Burnley tower bug is probably the result of a last minute change to the architecture and not enough time to QA before the build had to be submitted to the Microsft/Sony for certification. I'm surprised there hasn't been a steam patch yet, though.