Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Caliane

Opposite? Thought it was more like manipulated/forced evolution, like hyper eugenics on a micro scale. Each time he dies he's adapting to something new and harsh so the next clone is the next step in his evolution.

He's like Syndrome's robots in The Incredibles!
wouldn't be evolution at all.
Evolution via natural selection is: organism is hit with stress. stress either kills it or doesn't. If it survives, then it is more fit to survive that stimulus. And thus likely to pass that trait on to new generations.
Evolution via forced selection would be presumably: organism is hit with a specific stress. stress either kills or does not. survivors are then breed, and then hit with new stresses. generating resistance to specific and planned stimuli.
Evolution via genetic modification would be: cut and paste genetic code. get super crops. piss off hippies. Accidentally destroy all live on the planet.

If its not multiple generations. parent>children. its not evolution. its just mutation/adaptation.
A clone, would be the same genetics as the parent.. so.. not really generating mutation, or mother+father genetics for new traits... and thus would not really evolve. it'd die to the same stimuli over and over.
I mean, this is why we take cuttings from plants, and clone them, commercially. we DON'T want them mutating and evolving. A seed will have new genetics, and clone wont. (of course there is some natural break down)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
There is no evolution in the story as presented in that video. I never read that comic so no idea if doomsday's origin is that retarded but the baby would die the same way every time, it's just a clone of the original weak ass baby.

As presented in the video, it's super concentrated Lamarck evolution, which isn't a thing.

Lamarck theory was that of inherited acquired traits, ie a giraffe has a long neck because his parents had to stretch their necks really far to eat the leaves, so each generation of giraffes have longer necks than their predecessors because this acquired trait was inherited. This idea was around before things like genetics were understood.

Darwin's evolution replaced this, ie the giraffe's who happened to have longer necks were able to eat the food in the first place, and thus breed and pass on their genes, while the shorter necked giraffes starved to death.

One big thing about lamarck was that it implied that there was a goal and things adapted towards it, species became more superior/complex, like that doomsday history. When in reality its just random chance mutations and it's not always an improvement. For example, malaria.

to put it in the doomsday origin. Infect a baby with malaria. it dies. In the doomsday origin eventually the baby becomes immune to malaria? this is lamarck. The reality is, a thousand babies are infected with malaria, and those who happen to have a natural mutation to survive it, do so, and grow up to procreate. That natural mutation is called Sickle Cell Anemia, which is a deadly disease and a major health disadvantage, but not as large a disadvantage as dying of malaria before leaving the crib.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
From what I remember, doomsday was specifically engineered to adapt. So his DNA was created to learn and modify his own cell structure. The scientists that created him just went overkill on him to speed up the process. EG, give him a cold, he adapts and becomes immune after he recovers. Give him Ebola, well he adapts and becomes immune as well, just not before it kills him. So after he dies they take his DNA, that was modified, and clone that.

It's pretty poor science, but so is most comic book science

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
From what I remember, doomsday was specifically engineered to adapt. So his DNA was created to learn and modify his own cell structure. The scientists that created him just went overkill on him to speed up the process. EG, give him a cold, he adapts and becomes immune after he recovers. Give him Ebola, well he adapts and becomes immune as well, just not before it kills him. So after he dies they take his DNA, that was modified, and clone that.

It's pretty poor science, but so is most comic book science
I can't believe people are taking comic book science seriously. All you can do is look at it and see if it makes sense with the lore. The problem with Doomsday is that the first time he appeared, he beat every meta on the planet and killed Superman. By the second time he came around, he should have been able to fart from the other side of the universe and destroy the Earth from there. Hell, right before DC52, he fought hundreds of Kryptonians at once, before being defeated. What's he going to come back after he evolves? God?

Caliane

I can't believe people are taking comic book science seriously. All you can do is look at it and see if it makes sense with the lore. The problem with Doomsday is that the first time he appeared, he beat every meta on the planet and killed Superman. By the second time he came around, he should have been able to fart from the other side of the universe and destroy the Earth from there. Hell, right before DC52, he fought hundreds of Kryptonians at once, before being defeated. What's he going to come back after he evolves? God?
nu52 Doomsday, virus.

But yeah, it boggles my mind anyone likes Doomsday. Its just so dumb. Grey hulk with spikes, gets into a punch fight with superman in metropolis. they punch each other in the face, until double K.O death punch? lol, oh, and pretty much zero property damage.

Why didn't they even at least give him powers that actually make sense in terms of fighting and killing Superman? I mean sure, magic, reality warping would have been a unsatisfying and cheating. But ffs the dude can't even fly. Didn't have superspeed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I also thought doomsday was lame. The whole background is dumb and the character is dumb.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
yup, i enjoyed this
smile.png

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Batman definitely has no chance, and I just imagined him whupping Superman's ass in Batman 36.

rrr_img_85850.jpg

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I love Batman more than 98% of things that exist. But Batman beating superman is dumb as shit. In any context.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I love Batman more than 98% of things that exist. But Batman beating superman is dumb as shit. In any context.
Batman existing in same universe as superman, aquaman, wonder woman is dumb as shit, period.

radditsu

Batman existing in same universe as superman, aquaman, wonder woman is dumb as shit, period.
I can believe a guy spending all his money to buy the best equipment training and go fight crime. I cant abide by a flying space alien who is also smarter than any human (people forget that/ suck at writing) losing to said guy.

Its some Frank Miller power fantasy bullshit. And it was the worst part of Hush. And that book murdered the retarded guy who fixes batmobiles.

Making Superman is easy. Have him in a situation that he has to make binary choices ( who to save etc) and then use his iconic abilities and mind to save them all/3rd option/star trek the fuck out of it. Make him sacrifice for
the attempt. With stoytelling inThe medium so decompressed you could 2 3 of those stoylines a year plus the damn event tie in issues that come up. He is iconic. And should be solving crimes with the batman. Not punching him and being shot with kryptonite dusy

Chris

Potato del Grande
So... what if Batman spent all his money on funding the police and army to be able to combat these threats instead?

Oh and putting his fucking tiny red suns into a power plant???

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So... what if Batman spent all his money on funding the police and army to be able to combat these threats instead?

Bro, his parents were killed in front of him! He's clearly suffering from PTSD and isn't responsible for his decisions. And punching people with tiny red suns is therapy, I guess.

radditsu

It's dumb. You have to jump through too many hoops.