Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Reviews were never going to affect the opening weekend. It will be interesting to see how severe the week to week drop is, the reviews could have an impact there.
It will also probably have a big effect on non Justice League DC films, especially if they try to branch out to lesser known characters. I'm pretty sure something like Ant-Man wouldn't have been so successful if Avengers/IM/Thor/Cap largely got negative reviews.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really enjoyed it but saw it in 2D, not sure if that effects the reviews or not. Batfleck was alright, somewhere bellow bale and keaton but above Clooney. I think they should of cut out about 10 to 15 minutes of the show though, it did drag in spots.

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
6/10. Wonder Woman was lame, Lex Luther was retarded, and the entire premise behind the big fight was forced and doesn't make a lot of sense to the non-comic reader. This should have been two movies, at least. One dedicated to how Batman became this darker, crueler version and it could have been done without delving into the Death in the Family story. My wife doesn't read comics and is only really familiar with Batman from the sixties show and the various movies and was confused as to why he was so violently hateful of Superman. The second movie then could be a more intelligently written and better paced version of the Superman vs Batman vs Doomsday story. I actually enjoyed Afleck's take on the character however this movie further reinforces the fact that Superman just can't be done right in today's cinematic culture, he just doesn't work.
The biggest flaw in this movie is that they spend so much time building a story that they forgot to tell one.
I, personally, loved watching Bats beat the shit out of Suoerman however I always enjoy that so I am biased as hell. Jeffery Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne, Falshpoint Batman incoming. The pictures of Martha Kent went a long to way to hinting at Martha Wayne as her Flashpoint Paradox counter and I actually hope these movies do well enough to lead into it. I agree that Wayne's speech about no good guys left that didn't go bad being an indirect reference to a former Robin becoming the Leto Joker, though that could just be wishful thinking because I still don't understand that version at all.
These was a much better movie buried in this mess and I mourn for what could have been. Only reason the family and I went to saw this is because an ice storm knocked out the power and it was too freaking cold to stay home after twelve plus hours with heat so we didn't have much better else to do. Wife is m'eh on it, kids loved it, and me? Didn't hate it, kind of liked it, and will unofficially add it to my list of guilty pleasures.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah gonna go with another 6/10. Mildly entertaining 2.5 hours, might not have paid 16 euros if I knew what was coming.

Wonder Woman's introduction was weird to say the least. A hot chick in a dress messing with Bruce...suddenly badass amazon warrior. If you weren't acquainted with the comics, I'd say you'd be quite lost. (personally might still go see her standalone movie) Batman killing people people left and right, in this instance the comic reader might be as lost as the previous person. Feels like they took a version for Bats that the mainstream movie consumer might not be familiar with. Superman felt so fucking hollow as a character in this one, even less than in Man of Steel. I also just can't get over the moment in the B vs S fight where Batman had been planning on killing this alien demolishing his planet and endangering the whole humankind but suddenly stopped all his plans...because their mothers had the same name...like what the fuck. Lex Luthor was just bullshit, maybe we've been accustomed to his excellent portrayal in games/animations/TV that Jesse Eisenberg just wasn't up to par. And last little gripe, I felt like the musical score in this movie didn't fit at all: too theatrical at the exact wrong moments.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Is it true they were going to get Brian Cranston to be Lex, but when Jessie came in to test as Jimmy Olson they made him Lex? If so then that was an big error.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it true they were going to get Brian Cranston to be Lex, but when Jessie came in to test as Jimmy Olson they made him Lex? If so then that was an big error.
That was mostly fan-driven. According to Cranston, he was never approached or offered the role. I'm guessing DC went with Eisenberg because they were trying to go with something as radically different from Kevin Spacey as they could. I guess they succeeded?

Arakkis

N00b
Bullet points because people have already said most of what I would write:

-I actually enjoyed the first half of the movie. Had a real comic pacing feel to it and did not seem to drag.

-The last half was a shitstorm of bad. They really could have hit it out of the park, but bad writing and pacing really made the movie mediocre.

-WW was basically a piece of fuckmeat for affleck to flirt with until she out of no where and with no build up just shows up with a sword and shield and starts punching things.

-Zuckerberg as Luthor was even worse than I prepared myself for. Lex is not manic crazy guy. He is a calculating genius with inferiority issues because Superman is the ubermensch. Horrible performance and casting choice.

-The troll from Lord of the Rings as Doomsday.

I think that this was a good superhero movie, but it was like it was not written for the actual DC characters. Batman using guns and killing, Wonder Woman completely passive and unassuming as Diana, and Superman completely dropping the ball on saving people again. DC really needs to get someone who understands the characters to write the next few scripts.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I asked this question last page, is Jesse Eisenberg playing Lex Luthor? Prior to the release he was said to be Lex's Son Lex Jr.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
early in the film he does talk about his dad building the corporation, and pretty sure I remember him calling himself junior, but there after its never mentioned again. Still doesnt excuse the fact that he was directed to act as if, or he seemed to think, he was cast as the Joker. He was far and above the worst thing about this movie. I enjoyed most of the rest of it but he almost killed the whole thing.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmmm, Im pretty sick of Lex always being the main villain for superman so A Douche Lex Jr sounded like a nice change even if retarded but it sounds like they didnt write his character well at all if people cant even tell that he is supposed to be someone else. Its time to start focusing on Nightwing or Red Hood also and move past Bruce

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
People are hating on it on my Facebook, but I found it excellent and am shocked by their posts.
It took some liberties, but covered its bases.
I was engaged throughout. The characters were believable.
Batman and his gadgets were great.
I expected it to be a mess, but they introduced and dealt with characters well.

A Mexican Flash seems an odd choice though. Perhaps I'm too biased from watching the show. I'm totally fine with a different Oliver Queen, however.

I appreciate the consideration for little ones: killing off screen, no gore, minimal cursing, nothing over sexed.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Obviously, this movie is going to make money, but I bet it drops off steeply after this weekend. If they didn't presell the tickets, I imagine people who didn't see it at the midnight might have heard reviews and been more wary. Fortunately, the presale guaranteed a good amount of people in the theaters. Also, production budget was 250 mil and marketing was at 150 mil. So it's got to make double that to be considered a "success" let alone a smash hit. Not that I think it won't do well, but it does have a high benchmark, and this weekend was mostly guaranteed. We can see.

I'm going to be honest though; people liking a Punisher type Batman I think just don't like Batman. Say what you want about the Nolan movies, but I think they address some of the biggest reasons why Batman doesn't and cannot kill. That he's a stone throw from being a villain himself, that not crossing a line allows the actual "good" guys like Gordon to work with and advocate for him. And the biggest reason, to me, is the "balance". Kind of like power rangers "Don't escalate unless Rita forces you to."

A Batman who kills would require a new caliber of villain. Batman either directly (unintentionally) leads to the creation of his foes, or his very presence causes them to gravitate toward him. There's tons of examples in comics where Batman's unwillingness to cross that line either stays someones hand or leads to an arrogance that is a net win.

If Batman starts killing people, and I mean intentionally killing like he did in this movie, that balance is lost.

The Batman universe has always been my favorite because what we deal with is like, the "basics" of man being their "superpower". The biggest dudes represent mortal flaws - Joker, insanity, (albeit an often calculated one). Quinn, obsession. Cobblepot, greed. And almost all can fall into the vengeance category.

You make Batman kill, and instead of being a force of good, you would just lump him into the "vengeance" or "rage" categories. Is Dexter less of a monster because he only kills bad dudes? Fucking no.

The Batman we love is a damaged dude who uses his wits, money and skills to channel his rage into protecting the city. Take that away, and he becomes a dude who let one bad day drive him to lunacy. Make him kill people, viciously and personally, and people are going to find it hard to be sympathetic to Batman. And that is so important. It's part of why I dislike Superman as a hero. He is not compelling, he is not sympathetic. Dude has the best powers, living parents, a world who thinks he is a god, etc. What the fuck is compelling about that? Not to mention most every scenario involving Superman being "weak" or "dying" feels ridiculously contrived.

As far as Flashpoint, I very much enjoyed the Batman part of it, and I gotta say, when Flash hands Bruce the note from his dad, yea I misted a little. I would be totally down with a Thomas Wayne, but even a Death in the Family Batman (hell, even a Death of the Family Batman) and the flashpoint one were not crazy killing machines. They certainly cared LESS, but deaths were not personal, not always accidental, but it was more like, "I got what I wanted, I don't care about you."

Instead of the shit with Affleck which is like, "Thanks for the info, die anyways."

I think ghostbusters has me more upset, but it's getting close.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
This movie was such a let down. I'm not even sure I can articulate all of the problems with it. So much potential down the tubes. I hope DC sells to Disney someday.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Saw it twice, and I have to say I liked it more than I thought I would. I'd give it a 7/10,MAYBE8/10 if I'm feeling gracious and don't feel like quibbling over details and just wanted to watch a movie. Some of peoples gripes I agree with and others I think are getting overblown, but whatevs.

-WW was basically a piece of fuckmeat for affleck to flirt with until she out of no where and with no build up just shows up with a sword and shield and starts punching things.
I mean, I dunno...I felt like they were stringing her appearance out a fuckton. First she's getting the email from Batfleck while the shit at the crash site is starting to pick up speed and power is starting to glitch out. Yeah, a lot of that scene was meant to introduce AM/Cyborg/Flash and felt very contrived (kinda broke pacing to me) but it also felt like they were trying to build up the internal conflict WW was having. She knew something was going to happen, but she was wanting to walk away like she did in 1918. Then we see her on the plane, she hears what is going down and then disembarks.

It didn't feel like she appeared out of nowhere with no buildup to me. I'd been expecting her to show up for a while at that point so I almost felt the opposite.

-Zuckerberg as Luthor was even worse than I prepared myself for. Lex is not manic crazy guy. He is a calculating genius with inferiority issues because Superman is the ubermensch. Horrible performance and casting choice.
Bad casting choice or bad script writing, perhaps, but I actually felt like Eisenberg did his best to try making this take on Lex work. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but it did seem...odd. Especially when there are umpteen character actor types that probably would have fit the traditional Lex better.

-The troll from Lord of the Rings as Doomsday.
Admittedly could have been better. The troll comparison seemed very apt, especially the orc-like birthing sac.

I think that this was a good superhero movie, but it was like it was not written for the actual DC characters. Batman using guns and killing, Wonder Woman completely passive and unassuming as Diana, and Superman completely dropping the ball on saving people again. DC really needs to get someone who understands the characters to write the next few scripts.
long
I guess I don't agree with a lot of people on some of this. Most of the "Batman kills" stuff never happened. Even people saying "dream sequence" aren't really doing it justice IMHO, just straight up call them nightmares. And I can't really WARBLEGARBLE about Batman having nightmares about a post-apocalyptic future where he is a killer and Superman is a killer...they're nightmares, damnit.

I understand the arguments of "no guns/killing" for both Supes and Batman; I'm just not as bothered about it as some people are, I guess. I'm not going to defend the writers on this...they chose to go that route, and the script was approved. Like with the grenade scene...Batman could have easily deflected the grenade down the hole in the floor he just came up, and the scene with Mr Flamethrower could have been written entirely different so that Batman could have chosen not to kill.

That said, one of the reasons I switched to Marvel over DC back in the day is that a lot of the traditional DC mainstays like Superman and Batman just seemed like they should have stayed in the Golden Age at times. No killing/shooting/etc always seemed like relics from an older generation and seemed out of place. Meanwhile you had Marvel heroes who may have tried not to kill...but occasionally they did...and they seemed more human in their regret and anguish. Or you had characters like the Punisher who intentionally murdered people, but as a character I could at least understand his motivation. I just had a hard time relating to a lot of DC characters, though. And part of me suspects that some of this was the push behind the embrace of a darker script and a Frank Miller inspired movie. I feel like they've been afraid that the traditional boy-scout Superman was too clean-cut to compete in a modern market and an anti-gun, anti-killing Batman would be hard for people to accept at face value. So in comes the darker, flawed "heroes" based in large part in Miller's work and directed by the same guy that directed 300 (and maybe toss Moore and Watchmen in for good measure).

I mean, with that in mind, is anyone really surprised at how this turned out?

Stepping back and looking at it, maybe the real opposition isn't in the individual instances in the movies per se, but the larger dystopian take on the universe where heroes are more fallible and imperfect. I will say that when I first heard of the premise of the movie I did wonder if taking a non-canon book-view of the universe like this was the way to go, but I also have to admit that the old Batman/Superman characters was 'stodgy' at best and almost completely boring and trite at worst. Of course, those are the interpretations of the characters that everyone is familiar with, I guess, and I cannot really argue with anyone who at the end of the day prefers those characters.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to be honest though; people liking a Punisher type Batman I think just don't like Batman.
The Batman universe has always been my favorite because what we deal with is like, the "basics" of man being their "superpower". The biggest dudes represent mortal flaws - Joker, insanity, (albeit an often calculated one). Quinn, obsession. Cobblepot, greed. And almost all can fall into the vengeance category.

You make Batman kill, and instead of being a force of good, you would just lump him into the "vengeance" or "rage" categories. Is Dexter less of a monster because he only kills bad dudes? Fucking no.

The Batman we love is a damaged dude who uses his wits, money and skills to channel his rage into protecting the city. Take that away, and he becomes a dude who let one bad day drive him to lunacy. Make him kill people, viciously and personally,and people are going to find it hard to be sympathetic to Batman.And that is so important. It's part of why I dislike Superman as a hero. He is not compelling, he is not sympathetic. Dude has the best powers, living parents, a world who thinks he is a god, etc. What the fuck is compelling about that? Not to mention most every scenario involving Superman being "weak" or "dying" feels ridiculously contrived.
I touched on this above, but let me reiterate that for me personally I was never a"Bat Fanatic"and I always had a hard time embracing him as a character. I bought a lot of Batman titles for a while at the insistence of friends, only to trade them all away later because I couldn't get into it.

I don't even think it's fair to call this Batman a "Punisher" type batman. Most of the "killing" people are talking about are nightmare scenes, and with the warehouse fight I'm not even sure how many of the Redshirts, so to speak, were killed or KOed/Maimed. The 2 scenes I can think of that people would argue perhaps (grenade and flamethrower) felt to me like they fall into more of a"can't be helped, sucks to be you"type category while the Punisher himself would have been going out of his way to kill each and every person involved. I would agree that this Batman isCLOSERon the spectrum to the Punisher but I still feel like there is a clear difference. And while he was willing to
kill the fuck out of Superman, I half expected him to show some remorse. I can understand him believing that Clark was too big of a threat to let live, but I do feel they made a mistake in not at least showing that Batman regretted having to go through with it.

The part above that I underlined...I sympathized with the Punisher's motive and backstory, so I dunno. Wolverine didn't start out as a remotely 'nice guy' and we always knew he'd probably had thousands of people he'd killed over the years...and people sympathized with him. I could go on and on. But they've either always been that way or they've changed slowly over time. So I don't think that it is an issue of people not being able to identify with a hero that kills...they can. I think it's more that people can't reconcile the differences in the character, and that for some people I imagine they'll feel like it's really two entirely different characters with the same name.

I honestly don't dislike this version of Batman, but I was never a Batman homer/fanbois to begin with, but I still say that I would have liked to have seen a little more remorse on his part. Kind of a"I don't like killing, but I can't always avoid it"type thing.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Oh, I didn't mean to imply Punisher is not sympathetic, because I think he is. But for me, a punisher-esque Batman would not be. It's not that a killing superhero isn't sympathetic; it's that this one would be extremely hard to reconcile. It might be just a case of familiarity and how we know him to be, but I feel that it is anathema to what Batman is. Even in the comics etc where they make him grittier, harder, more murderous, I think it doesn't cross that line. As I said before, the times Batman has been more vicious is mostly callousness and apathy, up until recently. I guess the easiest way to put it is there was active intent. Manslaughter Batman vs. Homicidal Batman.

I also think it's really interesting that the reason you left for Marvel is what made me stay with DC. Marvel just felt like it jumped the shark constantly. Outlandish plots, superheroes and villains. I'm not knocking that; it's great and I've followed specific Marvel runs over the years. But I have an easier timebelieving and followingmotivations or personality types in DC. None of that is necessary; I don't need to identify with a character, but it's more compelling (to me personally) when the things that make both the universe, the villains and the superhero the way they are are very mortal things.

It feels weird to say that a different take on a character is "wrong". I have similar reservations about Margot Robbie's Quinn; she would have been amazing in that role if they'd had her play more like her classic persona, but I feel like what I've seen in trailers is a Harley Quinn who is gutted.

A murderous Batman feels like the soul is gone. That's probably really dramatic, but it's likely the best way I can describe it.

Probably the part that is really irksome is how Snyder kind of passes this version of Batman off like he's always had these traits and we've just never noticed it before. Yea, I mean, even without intent, I'm sure most fans would read/watch a part and be like, "Oh he dead" but that's more of a "probable" thing than an "absolute" like it seems to be here.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
haven't seen the movie yet so idk, but this (emphasis mine):
I feel like they've been afraid that the traditional boy-scout Superman was too clean-cut to compete in a modern market andan anti-gun, anti-killing Batman would be hard for people to accept at face value
is pretty fucking retarded considering2 of the top 4 superhero movies of all timeare the last 2 films of the Dark Knight Trilogy which not only are part of the modern superhero cinema era (released in 2008 and 2012) and are also the most recent iteration of Batman that the public is familiar with, and widely embraced. TDK is bested only by Avengers 1, and TDKR is just a hair below Avengers 2. Major tentpole ensemble films that took nearly a decade and half a dozen character films to build up to. DC has that with JUST BATMAN.

"modern audience can't accept a no gun, no killing batman"? Except that they overwhelmingly do, being the most popular and highest box office grossing comic book character fucking period. Get the fuck out of here with that shit, What have you been drinking, bleach?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah one of the most frequent refrains I keep hearing from those critical of the movie is that they're now looking forward to the next stand alone Batman movie.