Battlefield V

Cybsled

This is all the result of the trailer, because after that, people more or less tuned the other game details out.

Not sure why they didn't realize the BF1 trailer got people massively hyped, so why not do something at least semi-similar?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Pushing their agenda then doubling down is what killed this game. They deserve every bit of financial ass-ramming they get.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

IMO the main issues are multi-fold and it is almost purely PR related. The game itself looks to be pretty Battlefield and the mechanics seem solid from what I have seen.

1) They understood we live in the "outrage" era, but they also forgot that works both ways: I mean, I really do get why they tried to sell the "we got women in the game!". They were attempting to appeal to a potentially untapped market and hoping to get positive press coverage from main media outlets, but they forgot all the Gamegate shit has 2 sides and people pounced on that. Honestly they shouldn't have led with that as a first impression. 100% they should have kept that stuff in the actual game and even talk about it a bit later on, but they should not have had that be the first impression. BF1 did something similar (you play as a woman for an entire single player campaign) and you didn't hear nearly as much REEEEEing because they didn't use that element to initially sell the game.

2) Battlefield's fanbase tends to be more history oriented: I know this is somewhat hypocritical, since virtually every core BF game has involved prototypes of shit that never actually saw combat or never really worked as it did in the game. However, I would say that part of the draw for the BF games for its fanbase was the historical "accuracy". Ignoring the robo-arm woman, the trailer was filled with so much WTF stuff going on that some people even were speculating if it was some sort of bizarro alt-history WW2. Not a good sell to the history-buff crowd.

3) The trailer's tone was wrong. The trailer didn't seem to know what it wanted to be...was it supposed to be tongue in cheek? A 4th wall breaking representation of a typical online game? After the remarkably well done BF1 trailer, the BF5 trailer just felt off. Yes, war is "chaotic", but there are ways to show representations of that without it being "chaos" if that makes sense. Without showing a single gameplay element, it felt like a BF game straying from its roots and unsure of what it wanted to be. This is part of the reason why the CoD in Space game got shit on by the gaming public. Granted, if they revealed the title "Bad Company 3", people may have cut it some slack because that offshoot was never the "grim dark" serious games that the core BF games are (although Bad Company 2 was fucking amazing gameplay wise in multiplayer).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Spot on Cybsled, when I saw this most recent trailer it made me go "Should have led with this as the first trailer instead, would have been less of a shit storm"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
IMO the main issues are multi-fold and it is almost purely PR related. The game itself looks to be pretty Battlefield and the mechanics seem solid from what I have seen.

1) They understood we live in the "outrage" era, but they also forgot that works both ways: I mean, I really do get why they tried to sell the "we got women in the game!". They were attempting to appeal to a potentially untapped market and hoping to get positive press coverage from main media outlets, but they forgot all the Gamegate shit has 2 sides and people pounced on that. Honestly they shouldn't have led with that as a first impression. 100% they should have kept that stuff in the actual game and even talk about it a bit later on, but they should not have had that be the first impression. BF1 did something similar (you play as a woman for an entire single player campaign) and you didn't hear nearly as much REEEEEing because they didn't use that element to initially sell the game.

2) Battlefield's fanbase tends to be more history oriented: I know this is somewhat hypocritical, since virtually every core BF game has involved prototypes of shit that never actually saw combat or never really worked as it did in the game. However, I would say that part of the draw for the BF games for its fanbase was the historical "accuracy". Ignoring the robo-arm woman, the trailer was filled with so much WTF stuff going on that some people even were speculating if it was some sort of bizarro alt-history WW2. Not a good sell to the history-buff crowd.

3) The trailer's tone was wrong. The trailer didn't seem to know what it wanted to be...was it supposed to be tongue in cheek? A 4th wall breaking representation of a typical online game? After the remarkably well done BF1 trailer, the BF5 trailer just felt off. Yes, war is "chaotic", but there are ways to show representations of that without it being "chaos" if that makes sense. Without showing a single gameplay element, it felt like a BF game straying from its roots and unsure of what it wanted to be. This is part of the reason why the CoD in Space game got shit on by the gaming public. Granted, if they revealed the title "Bad Company 3", people may have cut it some slack because that offshoot was never the "grim dark" serious games that the core BF games are (although Bad Company 2 was fucking amazing gameplay wise in multiplayer).

Well said. I think that's my problem with it too. I think people got way oversensitive about the "omg forced SJW bullshit" argument. But they definitely went about it wrong with their initial trailer too. I don't think it felt as forced as a lot of the sensitive types think it was, but still felt off. I think people are also burning out of the battlefield and even cod series. a buddy gave me a key to BO4 and im still meh on it. haven't enjoyed COD since MW2 and haven't enjoyed BF since 3, or even BC2

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Lol at the History oriented players bit you said. Fucking BF1 players in general couldn't tell you what continent ww1 happened in let alone when/why/who.
BF5 looks shiny xplosiontastic though.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think it's more of the PC shit getting forced down our throats, people are tired of it and you can no longer escape it. They then told us to deal with it and people don't like being told what to do. Even if it is a petty argument, I don't blame them.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah BF1 had a woman soldier in the arab campaign, the cover soldier was black, COD WW2 had women soldiers for multiplayer since launch, BF1 intro'd russian women into the Tsar DLC. Few people gave two shits because its understood that multiplayer is more a "anything goes, no one respawns 15 seconds later IRL so its not history" but the SP campaign has always been a little more historically accurate and "real". If you made Battlefield vietnam it would make total sense to have women soldiers on the viet cong side since that was a thing, but it would be stupid as fuck to have women soldiers fighting alongside American soldiers in the SP campaign.

Plus BF5 is super limited in scope at launch, dealing only with the british and german early 1942 war which is very limiting. If they had done it right and also had the Russian front, the french campaign, arab and turkish fronts, Italian front, not to mention the entire Pacific Rim it would be more forgiving to introduce a lot of diversity and people but if you are gonna only limit yourself to a tiny slice because you want to launch in Oct then don't get butt hurt when people are mad that your tiny slice reflects very little of the actual war.

Sales wise it reminds me a lot of the move from Battlefield 3 to 4. People didn't like BF4 before release and after, because it wasn't really obvious why anyone would want to switch from BF3 to BF4. Same thing here, BF1 to BF5 is a minor change it feels like and going from WW1 to WW2 was such a dumb idea. Shoulda been WW1, Vietnam or modern era, then WW2 in 2 years.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
"Men are pigs, too bad we own everything" or in this case buy what they were selling. I'm not big into following the SJW and stuff but I would guess those that this (the SJW stuff) appealed to were never going to be big buyers of what they were orignally selling to begin with.

From the previous page on the bonus amount of how much the guy who left got, just read an interview of a pair of guys who funded the start of EA. One was an electrical engineer who did transistor work and had patents and such at Texas Instruments and the other a wall street guy. They put up $25million to get the whole thing rolling way back in the day. They kept an office in Dallas on purpose "To avoid Silicon Valley" because we would rather just hire people to answer the phone there who did nothing than actually work there. Lol. This was back in the 80's I believe since at the time they had just finished up funding Compaq computers.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Same thing here, BF1 to BF5 is a minor change it feels like and going from WW1 to WW2 was such a dumb idea. Shoulda been WW1, Vietnam or modern era, then WW2 in 2 years.
That overall designed piss me off and was half of what turned me off from the game. I simply could not get around the monumental disconnect between the setting and gameplay mechanics. Why the fuck did you make a WW1 game if you where just going to give every person red dots and assault rifles?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I remember my great grandfather who was a WWI veteran telling me the worst times in WWI was not being gassed or crossing no man's land between trenches, but rather when the battery to his red dot sight died. True story.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I liked battleield because I didnt like the arcade type nature of CoD or the ultra realism of Arma. BF lost me as it moved more and more towards COD with larger maps.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I liked battleield because I didnt like the arcade type nature of CoD or the ultra realism of Arma. BF lost me as it moved more and more towards COD with larger maps.

As I was catching up in this thread this is all that went through my mind, I want realism light and it just feels like they're move away from that and closer to CoD style faster paced gameplay. There's an actual reason why I don't play CoD. There was a reason that rivalry existed.

• 2Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Lol at the History oriented players bit you said. Fucking BF1 players in general couldn't tell you what continent ww1 happened in let alone when/why/who.
BF5 looks shiny xplosiontastic though.

the game is literally sold on history

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Salty

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Lol no. The game is sold because it's pretty with lots of whizzbangers and plenty of basically never ever happened in any modern war close quarters combat with a swirling mass of enemies while everyone is armed with weapons that never really existed or definitely didn't exist in the numbers used.
That's ok though as no one wants to play starving on the Russian Front games armed with 3 bullets and a rifle to share among the 5 of you as you die of typhus.
Pretending that the majority of players know shit about history is.. Fuck man.. Half of y'all probably couldn't name a single country in Europe when you were in high school let alone have a grasp of the depth and breadth of European/world history.

• 3Dislike
  • 3Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users