Better Call Saul

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I also thinks it has the potential to be better than Breaking Bad.
1459.gif

I really don't see how it can. Unless there is going to be some serious post-BB revelations the arc of the character from episode one up to the start of BB is inherently limited. It can be well acted and well written but we know who this character will be in six years or so. Just let it be what it is and don't put that kind of burden on it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1459.gif

I really don't see how it can. Unless there is going to be some serious post-BB revelations the arc of the character from episode one up to the start of BB is inherently limited. It can be well acted and well written but we know who this character will be in six years or so. Just let it be what it is and don't put that kind of burden on it.
We don't know anything to the extent of how he got where he is, how he developed all the various connections he has (many only alluded to off screen) or what kind of hijinks he got up to before and during Breaking Bad.

I think the show has the potential to surprise us.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm generally pretty against prequels since 95% of the time they turn out terrible. This has started well though and I'm looking forward to watching more.
I think this show has the benefit of the fact that Saul was never a character that was fully developed in Breaking Bad. There are a lot of holes to his backstory that can be easily filled without conflicting with anything established in Breaking Bad. Too often you run into problems with a prequel where too much information is already known, established characters are never put in any serious danger due to knowing they live, or things having to be retconned to make the show feasible. Better Call Saul has a fairly clean slate to work with.

Oldbased

> Than U
Sunday's encore had 6.88 million viewers. Some of which I am sure stuck around from the fucking insane 15.64 million who watched TWD.
Monday pulled 3.4 million on the premier. While that seems low, even TWD premiered initially with 5.4 million.
3.4 million standalone easily took top spot on Monday and based on previous week ( it ends on Sunday so we won't know for sure until next week ) should rank it around 8th for the week overall on cable channels being beat out only by Walking Dead, Talking Dead, Gold Rush, Alaskan Bush People and WWE.

Not to shabby.

As to my earlier post about holding judgement since I didn't feel well, turns out I didn't feel well. Watched both tonight , first time for the Monday episode and liked both well enough to keep on, even though I had only ever watched about 5 episodes of BB.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wait, is the "Alaskan Bush People" part of that post a real thing, or a joke? Please tell me that's not a real thing that is actually popular.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
There's a pretty strong ... I don't know what you'd call it ... redneck entertainment, rural tv, whatever ... market out there. Just look at shit like Duck Dynasty and Swamp People.

Oldbased

> Than U
Wait, is the "Alaskan Bush People" part of that post a real thing, or a joke? Please tell me that's not a real thing that is actually popular.
Sadly I don't make the ratings or what people watch but yes.
Alaskan Bush People drew in 3.88 million viewers which was more than Better Call Saul's premier of 3.4 million.
I should add however it comes on right after Gold Rush which is #4 and 4.6 million so I would say many of those viewers are crossovers much like TWD had 15.64 and Better Call Saul had 6.88 million when placed in the timeslot after.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I hate to admit it but I like Gold Rush. I have a thing for entrepreneurs and heavy machinery and that show has both. Alaskan Bush People is without a doubt designed for the Duck Dynasty audience. I watched 2 episodes because it came on after Gold Rush and it is exactly the same thing. Laugh at these backwards ass morons and their fake drama. Dumb people only.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my guilty pleasure is Ax Men. i dunno what it is, but i find logging very interesting and some of the characters on the show crack me up. there is the fatass at Rygaard who has a temper tantrum every time one of his crew breaks the super expensive logging equipment or nearly kills several others by not paying attention to their job. then there is the crazy ass swamp guy who rescues hundred year old logs in the river, by any means possible. then there is this moron who has real anger issues, they keep putting him in charge of running the heavy machinery and botches it up completely and then yells at everyone for not going fast enough. good times

i used to love that ice road trucker spinoff where they send truckers to third world countries for long haul trucking. that shit was awesome. it felt like the top gear south america christmas special every week. it must have gotten poor ratings because it only lasted 2 seasons before it was cancelled.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I kinda like axe men, but only shelby, the crazy coon ass, and I kinda like the crews who compete with the river logging. The guys who are doing the real logging are boring as hell.

Watched saul, thought it was pretty good. I will give it another episode or 2, but I wonder how much I'm missing from not having seen even a scene of breaking bad. Main reason I came to this thread was to get clarification on whether this was happening pre or post BB, and that was answered right here on this page, so thanks for that. Should I look up saul and see what he turns into in 6 years?

faille

Molten Core Raider
Excuse me if this is been pointed out before but WTF is up with Tuco's gun? Is it the fakest pos ever seen on tv?

Royal

Which was appropriate because he was "like a judge" in the desert with frick and frack.

Royal

Should I look up saul and see what he turns into in 6 years?
This is actually something of dilemma. I mean on the one hand Breaking Bad was absolutely glorious, so the answer should be yes of course. On the other, I don't think anyone should expect the two shows to be identical, so just because you like BCS so far doesn't mean you'll necessarily like BB. The later was a slow road to a dark place for the main character. BCS is about the growth of the character who was the original series' comedic respite from it's heavier nature. So they're going to be quite different.

If you can watch it without it coloring your expectations for more of the same from BCS, it will certainly give you a better frame of reference for some of the things that will be happening. The alternatives are to either take a complete pass on it or wait until after BCS is over, which could be quite a wait if the show is successful. Neither of those are preferable to my mind, so I'd say go for it. Season 1 is a bit slow to get rolling with lots of character development, but it's short (it was the year of the writer's strike).