Better Call Saul

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was saying something similar to my wife. He has 9 million dollars coming plus tons more he already had. Have an off the grid cabin built away from all power with propane deliveries, etc. But obviously he wasn't very rational.

That's not what Chuck wanted though. Chuck wanted to go back to being a big shot lawyer because, to Chuck, that was his sole identity. It's why he couldn't stand Jimmy being a lawyer. Chuck saw himself as some great bastion of justice and Jimmy was going to tarnish the occupation and, thus, tarnish Chuck by association. Being able to return to practice law is likely one of the things that's kept him going despite his uncomfortable circumstances. Being brought in on the Sandpiper case in the first season was one of the first times we saw him improving. And now Chuck was getting better to the point where he thought he'd be able to return to HHM only to have that pulled out from under him just as he was getting back to things. And if Chuck doesn't have the law, what does he have? If he doesn't have that to work towards anymore, why keep going?

I think if Chuck wanted to go live off the grid, that's something he could've done right along. He's an accomplished lawyer and founding partner at a successful law firm. And the fact that he can live in a large house like that for a long time without an income shows he's not really hurting for money (though I imagine he still got something from HHM due to his position). I think Chuck would've viewed that as giving up both trying to get better and his legal career.

I don't think this is the last we'll see of Chuck though. Even if he's dead, I imagine he'll still pop up in flashbacks, because we never even found out what first triggered his illness, did we? Or what happened to his marriage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
also if i had to guess, the power that electricity might have been to something that has to stay on. maybe a water heater or something

He had not only shut off all the breakers but actually pulled them all out of the panel. That would shut off the water heater, furnace, and everything else that is properly wired. His neighbors probably tapped off of his service to power their marijuana grow lights or something.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And the fact that he can live in a large house like that for a long time without an income shows he's not really hurting for money (though I imagine he still got something from HHM due to his position). I think Chuck would've viewed that as giving up both trying to get better and his legal career.
actually, re-watching s1, chuck is broke, jimmy is on his last legs (his 3rd time going under) and he can't keep both of them afloat anymore, until chuck is like "oh we don't have to worry about money, here!!!" and shows a stipend check for 800bucks from Howard, at this point Chuck seemingly has no concept of money

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Do we even think Chuck cashed the cheque though? Yeah, Howard gave it to him but he then went home and ripped his house to bits and set himself on fire, it's not like it was a bank transfer. If that's the case then Howard stil has 9mil and HHM just lost a partner, as I doubt paperwork to remove Chuck had been filed yet too. I would also imagine that law firms dont allow people to bequeath their share in a will when they die, so its grats Howard, sucks to be you Chucks family.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
well, chuck as a lawyer would be pretty much all on top of his estate and unless jimmy can prove chuck wasnt of sound mind and body he might be able to dispute the will if this ever comes up and he gets left nothing. i dunno if he would get all 9 million from howard as it seemed like a verbal contract between him and chuck and i somehow doubt he gives jimmy one red cent.

Do you think it will be difficult to prove chuck wasn't of sound mind? If so, we're not watching the same show.

The 9 million was from the partnership agreement that they mention a few times. I don't know how lawyers work, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't in writing. Jimmy knows about the agreement and the buyout because he mentioned it a couple times in the first season. Maybe you mean that it wasn't in writing that he was invoking it? Hamlin had to take out loans to get the money, I'm sure the separation was in writing.

also if i had to guess, the power that electricity might have been to something that has to stay on. maybe a water heater or something

I was thinking like @Ganthorn , that he was probably hallucinating it. It couldn't be a water heater because he shut down the main circuit breaker. You turn that off, nothing in your house should be getting power.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I don't think this is the last we'll see of Chuck though. Even if he's dead, I imagine he'll still pop up in flashbacks, because we never even found out what first triggered his illness, did we? Or what happened to his marriage.

That dinner party where we were introduced to Chuck's ex-wife, you could see that Chuck was in the beginning stages of his illness. The whole house was just barely above a passable level of being lit.

Clip: Dinner at Chuck’s House: Episode 205: Rebecca

Inside Episode 205: Better Call Saul: Rebecca

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's not what Chuck wanted though. Chuck wanted to go back to being a big shot lawyer because, to Chuck, that was his sole identity. It's why he couldn't stand Jimmy being a lawyer. Chuck saw himself as some great bastion of justice and Jimmy was going to tarnish the occupation and, thus, tarnish Chuck by association. Being able to return to practice law is likely one of the things that's kept him going despite his uncomfortable circumstances. Being brought in on the Sandpiper case in the first season was one of the first times we saw him improving. And now Chuck was getting better to the point where he thought he'd be able to return to HHM only to have that pulled out from under him just as he was getting back to things. And if Chuck doesn't have the law, what does he have? If he doesn't have that to work towards anymore, why keep going?

I think if Chuck wanted to go live off the grid, that's something he could've done right along. He's an accomplished lawyer and founding partner at a successful law firm. And the fact that he can live in a large house like that for a long time without an income shows he's not really hurting for money (though I imagine he still got something from HHM due to his position). I think Chuck would've viewed that as giving up both trying to get better and his legal career.

He was still a lawyer, just not with HHM. There's no reason he couldn't find a new firm or go at it alone

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Do you think it will be difficult to prove chuck wasn't of sound mind? If so, we're not watching the same show.

The 9 million was from the partnership agreement that they mention a few times. I don't know how lawyers work, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't in writing. Jimmy knows about the agreement and the buyout because he mentioned it a couple times in the first season. Maybe you mean that it wasn't in writing that he was invoking it? Hamlin had to take out loans to get the money, I'm sure the separation was in writing.

I was thinking like @Ganthorn , that he was probably hallucinating it. It couldn't be a water heater because he shut down the main circuit breaker. You turn that off, nothing in your house should be getting power.
ok, wasnt sure how that worked, i thought it was one of those things you cant shut off. they even had chuck unplug his phone which uses electricity. maybe the wires of the phoneline were active? no fucking idea then.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Rewatched finale and it is pretty clear Chuck's mental illness spiraled into the depths of no return. Hell the music was fitTing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He was still a lawyer, just not with HHM. There's no reason he couldn't find a new firm or go at it alone
he's got that super insurance premium for being a crazy buffoon.
ok, wasnt sure how that worked, i thought it was one of those things you cant shut off. they even had chuck unplug his phone which uses electricity. maybe the wires of the phoneline were active? no fucking idea then.
old rj11 phonelines always carried like 50v or so, ppl would use those rj11 to usb chargers for emergencies, this is how somehow on a rotary phone it would have the power to ring, or how you could just plug a basic trimline phone (thats the style, i used to sell these 20years ago in an office store lol) would light up, while only being plugged into the phone jack only.
5d469593-9570-44ad-9db7-74d72e045a4b_1.4e4bcfd892d9b8dca5d1760b007a6603.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

Like Lanx Lanx said, it had voltage, but that voltage comes from the phone company, not your house power. Shutting off the breaker, even pulling the meter (which he eventually did with the bat) wouldn't stop that electricity. Back in the day phones would usually work even when electricity and water were down after a natural disaster. Phone companies had tons of backup power.

Hell, unplugging the phone didn't kill that electricity. It was still there in the walls like a den of plague rats. Anyway, by the time he unplugged the phone, he was totally grasping at straws.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Like Lanx Lanx said, it had voltage, but that voltage comes from the phone company, not your house power. Shutting off the breaker, even pulling the meter (which he eventually did with the bat) wouldn't stop that electricity. Back in the day phones would usually work even when electricity and water were down after a natural disaster. Phone companies had tons of backup power.

Hell, unplugging the phone didn't kill that electricity. It was still there in the walls like a den of plague rats. Anyway, by the time he unplugged the phone, he was totally grasping at straws.
the oddest thing was if he was that crazy at the very end, why wouldnt he just run off into the desert where there is no electricity? you would think living in NM the desert would be the first place you got to be off grid. or a bomb shelter or something. its like he was chained to that specific house .

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
He knew what he was doing when he kicked that lantern over. He didn't want to live off the grid out in the desert. We saw that he was awake. He was kicking at it like a petulant child whose dad told him to stop kicking the table, then went into the other room. Didn't Jimmy / Kim bring up how dangerous it was to have the lantern on top of stacks of newspapers when they destroyed him in the hearing?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He knew what he was doing when he kicked that lantern over. He didn't want to live off the grid out in the desert. We saw that he was awake. He was kicking at it like a petulant child whose dad told him to stop kicking the table, then went into the other room. Didn't Jimmy / Kim bring up how dangerous it was to have the lantern on top of stacks of newspapers when they destroyed him in the hearing?
i do remember when chuck/jimmy fucked up 1216 to 1261, Kim was saying Chuck is looking at 10pt font w/ a lantern anyone could make that mistake.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
actually, re-watching s1, chuck is broke, jimmy is on his last legs (his 3rd time going under) and he can't keep both of them afloat anymore, until chuck is like "oh we don't have to worry about money, here!!!" and shows a stipend check for 800bucks from Howard, at this point Chuck seemingly has no concept of money

Even then, he still could've sold his part of HHM to fund going off the grid. Regardless, I think if Chuck really wanted to go off the grid, it wouldn't have been impossible for him to find the means to do so. He just had no interest in doing that since he obviously wasn't ready to give up that part of his life. And really, why would he anyways? Up until this episode, he was perfectly comfortable in his house with the modifications he made.

That dinner party where we were introduced to Chuck's ex-wife, you could see that Chuck was in the beginning stages of his illness. The whole house was just barely above a passable level of being lit.

Clip: Dinner at Chuck’s House: Episode 205: Rebecca

Inside Episode 205: Better Call Saul: Rebecca

Right, we only really see it as it's progressing. We never see what initially sets it off. I originally thought it had to do with his wife leaving him, but then we found out this season that it was already ramping up when he was first seeing her, though maybe her leaving is what made him a lot worse since she was surprised at his condition.

Yeah, it was one of the things Mike took a picture of, though I think Mike staged it. Good foreshadowing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Even then, he still could've sold his part of HHM to fund going off the grid. Regardless, I think if Chuck really wanted to go off the grid, it wouldn't have been impossible for him to find the means to do so. He just had no interest in doing that since he obviously wasn't ready to give up that part of his life. And really, why would he anyways? Up until this episode, he was perfectly comfortable in his house with the modifications he made.

he was also demanding, jimmy would have to get up early, cuz chuck was an early riser, just to get the papers that Chuck wanted, everyday for a year. along with supplying him with food, propane and stealing ice.

when Jimmy was replaced with Ernesto, Chuck badgered him constantly.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Right, we only really see it as it's progressing. We never see what initially sets it off. I originally thought it had to do with his wife leaving him, but then we found out this season that it was already ramping up when he was first seeing her, though maybe her leaving is what made him a lot worse since she was surprised at his condition.
The scene where chuck, jimmy and her have dinner then chuck freaks out when she's on her cell phone? I thought that was post breakup but chuck was trying to win her back, not 'pre-marriage'? Which suggested the condition didn't start at all till after they broke up, and was caused by his anxiety/depression basically.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah the flashback a few episodes was her visiting after they already broke up and his "condition" was in full effect and they pretended the power just went out.

Anyways, Chuck definitely would overcome his mental condition when it involved bringing Jimmy down. It does show just how much deep seeded resentment Chuck had for Jimmy, but doesn't explain what caused his condition in the first place. I'm really hoping we get an answer to that.