Better Call Saul

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah the flashback a few episodes was her visiting after they already broke up and his "condition" was in full effect and they pretended the power just went out.

Anyways, Chuck definitely would overcome his mental condition when it involved bringing Jimmy down. It does show just how much deep seeded resentment Chuck had for Jimmy, but doesn't explain what caused his condition in the first place. I'm really hoping we get an answer to that.

As someone who's had to deal with a ton of hypochondria over my years (both personal - with the woman and possibly I [my cure was psychiatric after all - none of my head docs have said hypochondria though] - and professional with the many employees I dealt with) - one of the way's that hypochondria ends up demonstrating itself seems to be a "cry for attention" type thing in response TO OTHER people being sick legitimately or not (and it seems people that think/know someone else is faking are more likely to).

With that in mind I'm imagining they're going to characterize his fall into the "condition" as a cry for attention after Jimmy pulled a huge stunt. Probably in some rough situation, like one of their parents dying and giving all their attention to Jimmy over one of his normal bits of trickery.

After such an amazing characterization explaining Tio's condition this season, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't explained in a manner like that with a ton of logic behind it. I was VERY impressed with how they handled Tio's crippling.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As someone who's had to deal with a ton of hypochondria over my years (both personal - with the woman and possibly I [my cure was psychiatric after all - none of my head docs have said hypochondria though] - and professional with the many employees I dealt with) - one of the way's that hypochondria ends up demonstrating itself seems to be a "cry for attention" type thing in response TO OTHER people being sick legitimately or not (and it seems people that think/know someone else is faking are more likely to).

With that in mind I'm imagining they're going to characterize his fall into the "condition" as a cry for attention after Jimmy pulled a huge stunt. Probably in some rough situation, like one of their parents dying and giving all their attention to Jimmy over one of his normal bits of trickery.

After such an amazing characterization explaining Tio's condition this season, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't explained in a manner like that with a ton of logic behind it. I was VERY impressed with how they handled Tio's crippling.
i liked Tio, was hoping he wouldnt have his stroke this season, he's a pretty damned good actor.
i think Chuck was jealous of Jimmy and it drove him crazy how nobody else could see what a fuckup he was but him. even Chuck's own wife was charmed by jimmy. jealousy was likely what ruined the marriage and caused chuck to have these weird symptoms.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you remember they are the only surviving McGills, dad died a while ago and mom died in the hospital bed while jimmy went to get hoagies and she screamed "jimmy, jimmy" and chuck was so mad he didn't tell jimmy.

And yes he was in the hospital surrounded by electronics and shit, and Jimmy looks like he's not slipping Jimmy no more.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Dude, you need to work on eliminating those parenthetical statements. There comes a point when they deserve their own sentence. That point is before they become nested and you have to go to brackets.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Dude, you need to work on eliminating those parenthetical statements. There comes a point when they deserve their own sentence. That point is before they become nested and you have to go to brackets.

Heh, likely so - I'm such a stream of conciousness writer though.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Good foreshadowing.

They foreshadowed the fire in Season 1 too when Chuck was in the hospital, right after the doctor turned on the machines under Chuck's bed to show Jimmy his 'condition' was bullshit. Doc wanted Jimmy to get Chuck committed and said something like "how long is it going to be before he burns his house down?". Makes me wonder if Jimmy will end up blaming himself for this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

if you remember they are the only surviving McGills, dad died a while ago and mom died in the hospital bed while jimmy went to get hoagies and she screamed "jimmy, jimmy" and chuck was so mad he didn't tell jimmy.

And yes he was in the hospital surrounded by electronics and shit, and Jimmy looks like he's not slipping Jimmy no more.

Ah yea, can't be a parental death - but something similarly polarizing (or maybe the hoagies incident was the start to his issue manifesting - just it wasn't quite immediate)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And the fact that he can live in a large house like that for a long time without an income shows he's not really hurting for money (though I imagine he still got something from HHM due to his position).

he owns half of a multi million dollar law firm. That in itself is a steady income.

He had not only shut off all the breakers but actually pulled them all out of the panel. That would shut off the water heater, furnace, and everything else that is properly wired. His neighbors probably tapped off of his service to power their marijuana grow lights or something.

Unlikely, a marijuana plantation consumes huge amounts of power and owuld have been far more than that little spin.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I do blame Chuck (and the show) for the new habit I have of walking around naming things to keep calm.

red car
green grass
brown envelope

People are starting to stare....

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dont think chuck has ever hallucinated before, he has thought the electricity was hurting him and went to insane lengths to remove it from his vicinity, but he was never shown to imagine shit that wasnt there. i guess you could argue that his pretend illness was imagining stuff that wasnt there,but electricity is real and it is dangerous, so you can say he greatly exaggerated its damages to people. but seeing this dial turn is something else. either jimmy reached a new level of his illness and he realized that and thats the main reason why he killed himself after losing all ties to the world he knew before he got sick or that dial really was spinning when it had no right to be. i'm still going with that dial really was turning and it was due to something super minor and will never know because they left it ambiguous.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Haven't posted at all in this thread. But been watching this since the start. Nice slow burn show. Really well done in every way.

Jozu

What I like about this show is the lack of urgency. There are very few tense moments, and when they do happen, like Nacho switching the pills, or the courtroom showdown, they are well done.

But the overall lack of any over the top obvious red herrings, or over dramatization really allows the show to carve out it's own spot in the halls of great television.

A great example of this is Kim's car accident. It is so sudden and unexpected. Yea you can tell she was pushing herself, but it was a pretty good twist for her character arc and the way they had it unfold never felt like it was a finale builder or an appetizer before the main course.

Each component of the show lives in its own space and works. Mike stuff, Jimmy, Chuck etc, it should feel disjointed but it doesn't. This is a direct result of that slow burn effect you guys just talked about, the entire show is like a well prepared camp fire, it just burns at the same rate with little effort. The show just does the job, very few weak points or wasted screen time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Plus Mike is just fucking awesome which doesn't hurt either.
They made everyone's own arc and story in bcs way more interesting and invested than breaking bad.

Did you really care about disabled Walt?

Did you care about klepto sister?

Or beer brewing Hank?

Or how many times Jessie gonna guck up?

Nope, you just wanted everyone Walt was surrounded by, to die. He had a really shitty family.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They made everyone's own arc and story in bcs way more interesting and invested than breaking bad.

Did you really care about disabled Walt?

Did you care about klepto sister?

Or beer brewing Hank?

Or how many times Jessie gonna guck up?

Nope, you just wanted everyone Walt was surrounded by, to die. He had a really shitty family.
I have no standards, i thought Marie was cute, so i cared about her character a little.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well maybe I'm the minority but I definitely cared about plenty of the side characters in BB.

Hank
Mike
Jesse

Though I don't know if I agree with calling Jesse a side character. By the end of the show Jesse had turned into the best character.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well maybe I'm the minority but I definitely cared about plenty of the side characters in BB.

Hank
Mike
Jesse

Though I don't know if I agree with calling Jesse a side character. By the end of the show Jesse had turned into the best character.
i think the scale goes,
Walt
Mike
Tuco
Saul
Marie