Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I fucking hate cab drivers. Honestly, maybe 10% of them are actually decent drivers. It's incredible how bad they are, as a rule.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
They are constantly where they shouldn't be, but to ram a biker in a bike lane takes a special kind of piece of shit.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I really think the right-on-red needs to be outlawed... I happened to be running, but I almost got creamed by some lady not bothering to look right when she was turning that way (looking left for traffic) as she crossed the intersection. My buddy was already through the intersection (and she saw him but still kept moving forward), but I ended up slamming my palms down so hard on her hood my fingertips went numb. Pretty sure she's got a nice dent in it.

Tobin

N00b
I think right-on-red is less dangerous than when the light first goes green, actually. People treat the green as right of way when there are pedestrians who also have a green/white walk light. The local cities have all changed their light patterns recently where the pedestrians get 3 seconds of WALK light while cars still have red. It's weird, but it helps.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I really think the right-on-red needs to be outlawed... I happened to be running, but I almost got creamed by some lady not bothering to look right when she was turning that way (looking left for traffic) as she crossed the intersection. My buddy was already through the intersection (and she saw him but still kept moving forward), but I ended up slamming my palms down so hard on her hood my fingertips went numb. Pretty sure she's got a nice dent in it.
I could be wrong but isnt it already the law that you have to come to a full stop when turning right on red?

(I know its silly to talk about following traffic laws in the bike thread, but cant help it)

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think right-on-red is less dangerous than when the light first goes green, actually. People treat the green as right of way when there are pedestrians who also have a green/white walk light. The local cities have all changed their light patterns recently where the pedestrians get 3 seconds of WALK light while cars still have red. It's weird, but it helps.

yes - My daughter and I have almost been hit riding to her last 2 high school mountain bike practices due to this. 3 seconds of walk would help. I guess we should just take the lane instead of the crosswalk to avoid, but its a very busy intersection.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That's awesome. Maybe I can bring that up to the local transportation officials.

I could be wrong but isnt it already the law that you have to come to a full stop when turning right on red?

(I know its silly to talk about following traffic laws in the bike thread, but cant help it)
Even if the vehicle is at a full stop, they'll start moving forward because they assume the intersection is clear and they've been waiting.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to taking an awful photo of the new CX bike, racing starts next week so I'm ready to drop the hammer and bunnyhop some barriers.

20160827_130420.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

I live in an urban area, and often bike/run downtown. And yeah, you as a pedestrian have to be wary of people waiting to turn right on a red. Especially if they're looking the other way for traffic. I don't think it should be banned, though. At least not in any but the biggest cities with huge pedestrian volumes (New York has it banned, doesn't it?). Because often times, turning right on the red is the only time you can get through, as during the green it's just constant pedestrians crossing (even well after the no-walk signal has started flashing). Being on both sides of it, as I drive every day to my office, it amazes me how shitty drivers are, but also how unaware many pedestrians are. Just because you have a walk phase doesn't mean you should step off the curb without looking to make sure you're not about to get run over. It's a walk phase, not a fucking invulnerability field.

I've definitely punched and kicked my fair share of hoods and fenders. I've also had some close calls when driving where I was in the wrong because I was looking the wrong way. But I've had far more close calls in every situation because the other car/pedestrian/jogger/bike was doing something completely illegal and idiotic. Everyone's fucking stupid, and you just have to drive/walk/bike like it.

Tobin

N00b
Timed the stoplights/crosswalk signs today. It's a full five (not three) seconds of WALK while all cars have red lights;

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Portland does that with a couple of the major intersections, gives the walk signal like 3 to 5 seconds before the light turns green. We also have the countdown lights which are excellent for knowing when you can make the light or when you should brake.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
My riding for quite a few months tapered off to nothing while crazy busy with work and other hobbies. Forced myself to ride the past couple of days, still breaking through that rebuilt laziness barrier.

It was a good time, and feels great afterwards.

That is all.

• 1Like

Citz

Silver Squire
Something good they did on the island of Montreal is to outlaw right-on-red. As soon as you come in on the island, you see all these big ass "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign. I don't think people even care about such a thing.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
4 days of cycling around Mammoth Mt. California this week and my mind is blown. Besides the unbelievable scenery, wide open roads, and fucking perfect 70 degree weather all day, got in my first HC climb up to Rock Creek, incredibly brutal but so worth it. Can't believe I have to ride in OC again starting tomorrow night.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Feels good man.

dsP7dAt.jpg

I already added the all-important gold anodized grip locks and rotor bolts. That coiled cable is the housing for the dropper, which shows up today. Fuckin' incredible bike.

• 1Like

Seventh

Golden Squire
Also:

1Xku9Is.jpg

Ignore that terrible blue-trimmed seat. The stock one was damaged in shipping, and a replacement is otw. It's pretty awesome WTB volt, with embroidery and shit that matches the frame graphics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users