Black Panther (2018)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Even if there is word about this movie's quality really early, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Wonder Woman had that whole debacle of someone claiming the movie was a mess really early on, and it ended up being pretty good.

Personally I pay no heed to what anyone says about any movie until I see it with my own eyes. Critics are idiots, as are 99.99% of other people.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
About the only people I listen to anymore are a select (very) few friends, and people on this forum that I've come to see have similar taste in movies. Or shows, books, games as the case may be. And I try to give at least a somewhat decent honest review of something I've seen in return in case people might follow what I say too.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I get a really solid vibe from the actor playing Tchalla. Michonne looks hot as balls with a clean shaven head. Andy Serkis hamming it up is a positive. Bilbo of course is going to be amazing, even if he only has like 5 minutes of screen time.

Negs? Michael B. Jordan. Human Torch needs to gtfo. Dunno what it is, but he just gives me that punk black kid vibe. Maybe that's what they're going for, but it's such a generic trope, especially in a "cultural heavy" movie. Also, the music track for the preview is probably something that came off of his iPod. Just watch any of his other movies.

Also, I haven't liked Forest Whitaker in anything since The Last King of Scotland. He'll just be a distraction, using a shitty voice, and over acting his lines.

Other than those two, I'm on board with pretty much the rest of the casting. And I think it's a good thing that they've left out Morgan Freeman and SLJ. Forest Whitaker is enough in the way of longtime, iconic black male actors.

I get a strong African Batman feel from this. Claw is basically Black Panther's Joker with his gleeful squealing. And I really liked what they did with Luke Cage (black Superman), so if that's anything like this, I'll probably enjoy it. Though to be fair, the only Marvel films I've not really enjoyed as much as the others are few and far between. Specifically in decreasingly sucky order: Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and Captain America 1. I've thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the Marvel films, so have mild expectations that I can generally assume will be met.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I also just realized that there's the possibility of having two different Human Torches punch each other.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Also, the music track for the preview is probably something that came off of his iPod. Just watch any of his other movies.

The music would be more likely to have come from Ryan Coogler's iPod. He's been the director for most of MBJ's notable movies so far, including this one.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Way better than that amateur hour photoshop job the first poster was.

$

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
About the only people I listen to anymore are a select (very) few friends, and people on this forum that I've come to see have similar taste in movies. Or shows, books, games as the case may be. And I try to give at least a somewhat decent honest review of something I've seen in return in case people might follow what I say too.
Through working in movie sales, I've learned that people that agree with you on pretty much everything can still have vastly different opinions on movies.

• 1Picard

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That said, is there any honest reviews on this based on you know, the actual damn movie and not social constructing, virtue signaling or color of the actors? Just an actual review if it is good or not?

When we were at ComicCon last year, Stan Lee was asked what movie he was looking forward to the most. His answer was that we would not believe what they had in store for us in Black Panther, and this was with GotG2, Spiderman:Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War 1 also on the horizon.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Stan Lee could tell me I'll get a blow job while watching it and I'm still not sure that would get me excited for this movie.

• 1Picard

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Stan Lee could tell me I'll get a blow job while watching it and I'm still not sure that would get me excited for this movie.

Someone's got a case of the racism!

My guess is Marvel, being the good SJWs they are, put tons of excess resources, hands mother fucking on deck, into what should be a relative B movie like Dr Strange or Antman and it's going to be an overwrought CGI clusterfuck the likes of which haven't been seen since the prequel trilogy. It will have more cameos than the rest of the series combined and the virtue signaling will be loud and proud.

It will do OK, and will be championed as a black tour de force and the first end to racism since Obama left office. Meanwhile everyone will be like "OK still not sure who the dude is, why does he dress like a cat tho?"

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
I've been told it's the most diverse movie ever to be made. Because it's got so many black people.

Clearly the MCU does not have one of those newfangled popular chief diversity officers ensuring equal representation across every possible sub-category of human. Somehow diversity came out 85% black. Get your shit together, Tyrone.

Personally, I thought Chadwick did a solid job of playing a character I knew next to nothing about in CW. Whether or not I'll enjoy an obama-son-fest is another question entirely, we shall see. If there isn't voodoo lightning in Wakanda because of the lack of white colonialism, I will be disappoint.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've always got the "We wuz kangz" vibe from Wakanda in the comics, but Chadwick Boseman was fantastic and I think overall Marvel has done pretty well at avoiding too many heavy-handed social "messages" in their movies. I get the trepidation, I really do, but as long as you could substitute any race/ethnicity into the same spot, it won't bother me. For example, if this were a hyper-advanced hidden Aztec society, or Eskimo, or Chinese, or whatever. As long as they aren't trying to force a message down my throat about how they are so much better than white people just because of melanin or something, I don't care. Just keep it as a hidden, sheltered, advanced civilization and I'll be fine. Tell me that they got to this point because they threw off the tyranny of their white oppressors, then I'll have a problem. I really don't see Marvel doing that though.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've always got the "We wuz kangz" vibe from Wakanda in the comics, but Chadwick Boseman was fantastic and I think overall Marvel has done pretty well at avoiding too many heavy-handed social "messages" in their movies. I get the trepidation, I really do, but as long as you could substitute any race/ethnicity into the same spot, it won't bother me. For example, if this were a hyper-advanced hidden Aztec society, or Eskimo, or Chinese, or whatever. As long as they aren't trying to force a message down my throat about how they are so much better than white people just because of melanin or something, I don't care. Just keep it as a hidden, sheltered, advanced civilization and I'll be fine. Tell me that they got to this point because they threw off the tyranny of their white oppressors, then I'll have a problem. I really don't see Marvel doing that though.

There will for sure at least be an extended cut scene with either expository dialogue or possibly even a "cultural memory vignette" as he explains to a mystified and interested white woman in 12th he Wakanda Natural History Museum about how Wakanda fought off European colonists but other cities/nations weren't as lucky to survive.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
There will for sure at least be an extended cut scene with either expository dialogue or possibly even a "cultural memory vignette" as he explains to a mystified and interested white woman in 12th he Wakanda Natural History Museum about how Wakanda fought off European colonists but other cities/nations weren't as lucky to survive.

That could apply to any non-European country though? This statement still works, not surprisingly:

For example, if this were a hyper-advanced hidden Aztec society, or Eskimo, or Chinese, or whatever.

Except China I guess but it wouldn't make sense to do a hidden super-civilization in China when they already did the hidden super-magic people in Tibet.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
it'd be funny if china bans the movie from their country because it conflicts with their interests in Africa

• 1Worf