Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah my biggest issue with Prometheus is it's just really hard to get past supposedly top notch minds all being idiots constantly.

I get through that with a fan theory (I think I heard it here???) that the idiot throw away retards were compatible organ/tissue storage sacks for the rich old mastermind dude.

iannis

Musty Nester
Androids and blade runner are so different.

Androids is all about mercerism and an examination of self. Blade runner didn't even have buster friendly! Androids is dust and Calcified, blade runner is wet and bacterial.

I always felt like what was being left mostly unsaid in androids was that earth wasn't important anymore, it was a dying abandoned world. Still powerful, but only because of social momentum. It was doomed with no hope of appeal. Hope has moved to mars. Decker just didn't realize it until he found the toad.

With the addition of 2049 I think it's done. Androids had an adventure story in it, and blade runner expanded that very well. 2049 was more sedate and thoughtful, from what I remember. Between the two of them they manage to get at what dick was saying.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah my biggest issue with Prometheus is it's just really hard to get past supposedly top notch minds all being idiots constantly.
I have more problems with it, like fundamentally it's a bad story. Prequels are pretty much universally bad movies. When we heard that they were working on another Alien movie to fix the abortive nonsense of Alien 3 and 4, did anyone think "I wish we could get an origin story of humanity/aliens and introduce living gods all framed within a prequel full of dipshit scientists working on their tight 5 while surrounded by an alien biome." Fucking thing sucks. And then Covenant was, shockingly, worse. He doesn't understand what made Alien and Aliens good movies that have endured, he wanted to build a mythology and literally nobody wanted that.

And the annoying thing is that the mythology thing could have been good if it had been done with some subtlety and a better supporting story. Franchise looks like it is relegated to Terminator fate now, will keep getting support based on relationships and name recognition from the big name director but will continue to fail

Sterling

El Presidente
I have more problems with it, like fundamentally it's a bad story. Prequels are pretty much universally bad movies. When we heard that they were working on another Alien movie to fix the abortive nonsense of Alien 3 and 4, did anyone think "I wish we could get an origin story of humanity/aliens and introduce living gods all framed within a prequel full of dipshit scientists working on their tight 5 while surrounded by an alien biome." Fucking thing sucks. And then Covenant was, shockingly, worse. He doesn't understand what made Alien and Aliens good movies that have endured, he wanted to build a mythology and literally nobody wanted that.

And the annoying thing is that the mythology thing could have been good if it had been done with some subtlety and a better supporting story. Franchise looks like it is relegated to Terminator fate now, will keep getting support based on relationships and name recognition from the big name director but will continue to fail
You're not wrong, but even if they fixed all of that it would still be hard to get past the genius retards.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Androids and blade runner are so different.

Androids is all about mercerism and an examination of self. Blade runner didn't even have buster friendly! Androids is dust and Calcified, blade runner is wet and bacterial.

With the addition of 2049 I think it's done. Androids had an adventure story in it, and blade runner expanded that very well. 2049 was more sedate and thoughtful, from what I remember. Between the two of them they manage to get at what dick was saying.
The best thing they didn't include was Buster Friendly exposing the religion as a fraud and how the androids couldn't understand why humans didn't care. I actually laughed out loud at that.

It's not done though
Unfortunately looks poised to be a prequel (lawl) to 2049 instead of continuing the android revolution thread forward.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Blade Runner was the first movie I ever watched on a VCR and indelibly made its mark in the virgin sand of imagination that was my young mind. Combine that with dog-eared copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I was a sci-fi/fantasy fan for life.

Aliens came out when I was 16 and all just balls and dick so it hit me in all the right places as well.

All that sets a pretty hefty baseline for comparison, and inevitably sequels and prequels and remakes fall short. To me, 2049 is the one that satisfied but still didn't quite meet the standards of the first. I know there are people in this thread that consider it a borderline masterpiece, but I can't go that far.

I would welcome another movie in the universe, expounding on the replicants and their enlightenment. But a prequel TV Show? Yeah, get fucked, it is going to ruin it all - and we all know that.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, i'm probably one of those. I think I said before, it's like Villeneuve made a movie just for me, hit all the right notes, amazing story, even those AI titties were perfect. For me, anyway. I do realize how the movie is inaccessible to newcomers or people outside of sci-fi genre nerds, the plot is convoluted, even people who are into it had issues tracking. The movie says a lot of things without saying them and ties up a lot of loose ends from the first movie without even acknowledging it does. Which, imo, is great, but some people find that frustrating. And Ridley Scott isn't wrong, it's too long to be commercially viable. I liked that it was more meditative though, would have been disappointing if they shaved 45 minutes off and pumped up the action.

A tv show could be ok, idk. When they first talked about Better Call Saul I thought it would be garbage but it turned out really well. I feel like they're needlessly hobbling ti by making it a prequel rather than continue the vry interesting thread introduced in 2049. And there were already a bunch of shorts that acted as prequels to 2049 so why the fuck go back to that well?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're not wrong, but even if they fixed all of that it would still be hard to get past the genius retards.

I want a new version of the movie where the only thing changed is at the end Charlize turns off to the right. Then the ship stops and falls to the side on top of her.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
ugh, jesus fuck, I hope they don't give Scott another go at this. I can't even remember the last good movie that dude made, and his attempts to revisit the Alien universe clearly indicate that he doesn't get it anymore.
I'd say after American Gangster in 2007 everything got shitty.

The Martian was good

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aliens came out when I was 16 and all just balls and dick so it hit me in all the right places as well.
f5cbe58cec0860e56daf694fc77e8670.png

This man so old he speaks in rotary

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had an Atari 2600 and it was fucking fire compared to a lot of this bullshit today.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Today I'm thankful for you fucking crusty bastards who remind me that I'm not actually as old as I feel like I am.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Here is the explanation of the genius retards from Prometheus: This movie is a victim of the re-write process. In an earlier draft these idiots are workmen, assembly/construction crew from the ship who get trapped in the ruins overnight and then bad things happen. It made sense, though, because these guys are red shirts/not particularly bright but don't have to be, it isn't their job to deal with Xeno-life forms and then boom they do. In a later version they were updated to be scientists I think to trim the number of characters , and voila! Stuff than no one thought about thoroughly enough that is still rubbing the audience the wrong way 7 years later.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ordered and got this print delivered today

blade-runner-2049-prints.jpg

• 11Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users