Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think it's more complicated and open than that. In original Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" Deckard passed the Voight-Kampff test without innuendos. Ridley Scott always wanted to make a noir movie with original Blade Runner, where the main protagonist ultimately hunting his own kind. Scott also said in a 2014 interview that Deckard is a replicant. That's his vision.

Now, Harrison Ford's take on Deckard was different. He stated on some interviews that during Blade Runner's filming he and Scott had a struggle with Deckard being a replicant or not ; Ford thought the audience needed a "human representative on screen, somebody that they could have an emotional understanding of." He also said in a more recent interview than his opinion on the subject ultimately "didn't matter".

There's also the six different versions of original Blade Runner. While early ones cleary go in the "Deckard = human" direction, the latest version (where Scott had more control than the 1982 release, butchered by studio executives), the 2007 Final Cut, clearly implies that Deckard is a replicant.

I'm not even gonna summarize what the different writers have said because what I think matters is Blade Runner 2049 doesn't answer to the question ; during Deckard and Wallace confrontation, when Wallace wonders about Deckard being a replicant, Deckard answers "I know what's real".

What I think is Scott's vision regarding Deckard was always that Deckard is a replicant, he wanted it to be ambiguous, the studios hated the idea (hence the butchering) and even some of the crew didn't like it. So, who should have the last word ? The 1982 director, the studios, the writers, the actors, the 2049 director ? I know it's kind of shallow saying "it's up to the viewer to make up his opinion" but really think that's what Scott had in mind back in the day.[/URL]

Yeah I'm aware that historically it's been all over the place. But sequels frequently re-write what is established in previous installments. I know that's something fans, particularly long-term fans, often despise but it's the nature of the beast. So for better or worse, the most recent chapter has the current word on it. And this isn't even something that is well established in the first movie. And it's not clearly nailed down here, just clearly implied.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
i liked the directors cut the only after the 2nd time i saw it 7 years later; a year ago

watch sequel?

pls advise

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
10/10? Its that good. This could be the best cyberpunk movie we'll ever see. Not sure how they could have realistically made it better. It's long and the pacing is slow, but it grabbed me from the first second and never let go. It was like somebody tried to take the experience of reading a great cyberpunk novel to the big screen, and succeeded. There's very little excess Hollywood flair in this that isn't trying to add to that goal.

I was disappointed with the Arrival after all the good reviews it had and found a number of reasons to pick at it. Not the case here. I fucking loved this movie and can't wait to see what this guy does with Dune.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Royal

1I fucking loved this movie and can't wait to see what this guy does with Dune.

This is why everyone should be crossing their fingers that this movie doesn't take it on the chin financially. It really looks like the studio gave Villeneuve a big pile o' cash and just let him make the movie he wanted to make. Because this certainly isn't the kind of movie you'd typically see someone dropping well north of $100 million into. And if it doesn't make enough at the box office he'll likely have a much shorter leash (and/or less money) when he makes Dune.

Hopefully with the critical response the studios give it a big Oscar push and it ends up having a second wind in awards season. Because it's not looking like it's going to have the opening weekend numbers it needed.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Saw it yesterday 7pm, theater was maybe half full? Though it was a slightly pricier quasi "imax" screen.

Only thing I didnt like was the ambient music at some points, little too loud and much at some points. Specifically the scene where the hooker bots come onto K. That crotch rocket engine revving sound played 4-5 times was annoying.

I get theyre trying to make the city seem like sensory overload, but they should have just thrown in more topless holograms instead.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Fucking loved it. Denis Villeneuve, holy shit. Arrival, then this? A sequel to a movie with this importance, to nail it this hard?

Goddamn son.

Whatever the fuck he makes next, I'm on board. If this doesn't make enough money, goddamn will it be a disappointment. We need MORE of this, not endless more fucking superhero movies.

• 7Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 8 users

spronk

FPS noob
Movie is tracking a little bit under domestically at $4m thu, $12m fri which implies a $42-45m or so weekend box office, it could pick up a bit more on sat of course and the higher RTs could help it last longer. Its a $150m budget though, it has to do strong internationally.

Re: replicant or not
Ridley Scott has gone on record as saying he intended for Deckard to be a replicant and thats why the final cut has the unicorn dream sequence, implying Gaff knows what Deckard dreams about.
Harrison Ford has said he always thought it was ambigious in the first movie and he played (and prefers) it as Deckard is a human. If you listen to the commentary tracks for the first movie, most of the crew also say Deckard is human.
Dennis V (2049 director) has said he prefers the ambiguity and 2049 leaves it open for interpretation, you can go either way. Plenty of scenes that suggest he is a replicant (beekeeping mirroring worm farming, Jared Leto's speech about Tyrell pairing them, wood obsession, mirroring with K's thoughts in the movie) and a few that suggest he is human.

I say its obvious Deckard is not a replicant for a simple reason: he has aged in 2049. Nexus 6-8 do not age or grow old, they are created, have memory implants, and have a definitive lifespan but are not capable of aging in that time - they are created as full grown adults, not children. Nexus 7, Rachel, was able to get pregnant but the pregnancy killed her. If Deckard was a replicant he would have looked the exact same as in Blade runner 1982. Obviously for IRL reasons he couldn't, but that means he is not a replicant.

Even Wallace replicants in 2049 are created as fully matured humans, as we saw the chick dumped out of her goo sack and then get killed by Leto when his scans revealed a non functioning uterus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Movie is tracking a little bit under domestically at $4m thu, $12m fri which implies a $42-45m or so weekend box office, it could pick up a bit more on sat of course and the higher RTs could help it last longer. Its a $150m budget though, it has to do strong internationally.

Pinning your hopes on China for a movie like this given the kind of shit they typically turn out strong for.

Yeah there's a few studio execs sweating right now.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Pinning your hopes on China for a movie like this given the kind of shit they typically turn out strong for.

Yeah there's a few studio execs sweating right now.

Please, localization editors will just sandwich in some transformers footage every few minutes, they'll love it.

• 1Worf

Royal

Splicing in some F&F footage to replace all of the scenes of Gosling flying his car around would probably be a little more seamless and just as effective. Maybe edit in Vin Diesel shouting sequences ending in "family" at him during the baseline tests.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just saw this. Loved it. Haven't read any other posts here yet and i never saw more than 20 minutes of the original, but i thought the movie was fantastic.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Great movie.

I'm wondering why they made Leto's character blind. Seems silly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Simply amazing. The ambiance, the setting, the music, etc. This movie was brilliant in every single way that it had to be and it definitely surpassed the original.

Goddamn...

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ryanz

<Banned>
Awesome movie! The cinematography was amazing, but the thing that stuck out the most for me was the music and sounds. Everything worked so well together. Unfortunately I was in a theater with this old 70 year old motherfucker in the front row who talked THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE to his significantly younger date for the night. He even took out his phone, and used the flash light multiple times. I pay extra to go to a dine in theatre that serves alcohol to avoid teenagers that do exactly what this old dumb fucker did. Ruined what was otherwise an amazing movie.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this tonight... What a power house movie. I was blown away. It was absolutely fantastic. I can't believe Cyber Punk was done this well. Villeneuve just absolutely kills it. I'm beyond excited to see what he can do with Dune. Holy shit.

I made the girlfriend go see a late showing with me, and she expressed displeasure beforehand for a late 3 hour movie. At the end of it she turns and simply says, "Wow. What a movie."

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users