Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Superior, yet subservient. Brainwashing rather than programming. Eugenics instead of robotics, etc.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
As good as it is BR2049 may end up being the final nail in the coffin for it's production company Alcon.

'Blade Runner' Sequel a Make-Or-Break Moment for Producer Alcon
Alcon missed its first target — a $100 million redo of Point Break. The 2015 remake earned just $28.8 million domestically and $133.7 million globally. Alcon sold off international rights, mitigating losses, but it was a disastrous experience.
Gee who would have thought a shitty reboot of a forgotten 90s movie would be a flop?

I wonder how many good movies or sequels have been sidelined by some dickless retard in Hollywood in favor of horse shit like Point Break remake.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I hope the bean counters at Alcon and Sony take into account it's a 3 hour movie and cut it a little slack. Obviously it was a conscious decision on their part to not edit it down, but at 3 hours it's gonna lose a showing every day. A $30 million opening would be like a $45 million opening for a 2 hour movie. That $400 million number they threw out there is a little scary though, I wonder in movie history how many 3-hour + movies have hit that mark. I think this movie will eventually make money down the line, but it's doubtful to me they will hit the $400m mark they are needing. Sad, this movie is so much more cerebral than all those super-hero movies that get shat out every year. I applaud them for taking the risk to make this movie, but if this movie doesn't do well it's just going to give studios more reason to do super-hero and transformer sequels instead of new IPs, which is sad to me.

Dances with Wolves, Lord of the Rings, Titanic.

Probably not a hell of a lot of them.

iannis

Musty Nester
And it seems that I was wrong. They DID sort of manage to capture Mercerism, didn't they? Not the way dick did it, but they did keep one of his most important themes.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Loved the movie.

I liked the rebellion, but i'm kinda sad they missed an opportunity for some continuity by bringing in Iggy back from the short. Once the glasses removed, I pretty much mentally let out a long sigh. Instead, Freysa? I don't recall her in the first movie, or is she a book character? idk

I get that the shorts, in a way were an after thought.

Doc Badger best character.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
How could they screw up not getting the green eyes right, if they were such masters of replication, and talking about how all her features were set up to entice Deckard?
That one scene is very special because...
Rachel's eyes ARE brown.

He says that because
1) He knows they lost most of their archives with the blackout, so they're not sure of the result...
2) If he can convince them they failed at their copy, he won't be subject to the temptation...

MV5BMTkwMjI0MDg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMwMDY3MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,661,1000_AL_.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zinc

Trakanon Raider
Saw this yesterday at the new imax near me & loved it...now understand why they included 'tears in the rain' in the soundtrack.

For a sequel, I was very impressed. And that spoiler above...I didn't see that coming at all!!!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That one scene is very special because...
Rachel's eyes ARE brown.

He says that because
1) He knows they lost most of their archives with the blackout, so they're not sure of the result...
2) If he can convince them they failed at their copy, he won't be subject to the temptation...

MV5BMTkwMjI0MDg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMwMDY3MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,661,1000_AL_.jpg

:mindblown:

didn't realize that and I had just watched the first movie earlier in the day. In my mind I saw her with green eyes. I bet I was thinking of one of the other replicant girls' eyes.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
didn't realize that and I had just watched the first movie earlier in the day. In my mind I saw her with green eyes. I bet I was thinking of one of the other replicant girls' eyes.
The only time she "has" green eyes is when she's undergoing the Voight-Kampf test, presumably because it uses artificial coloring to highlight stuff or whatever - or, more practically, because that wasn't her being filmed for the scene - But yea, I was bothered, so I did check Young's eye color... Notably, almost no critic seem to have spotted the thing; there's only one or two sites who remark on the discrepancy. And apparently, the green eye trick is a Ridley Scott idea

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I would even go a step further. It doesn't make any sense why someone would create replicants without following Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. That's the built-in failsafe we already know about. If Wallace had done that (or even going back to Tyrell in the first movie), then you wouldn't have to worry about replicants harming humans and destroying our civilization. You wouldn't have Luv killing the female police chief. Etc. So it does take a bit of suspension of belief. Still, taken as a whole I loved this movie.

That is the central dilemma of both movies (and the book that was the source material). You cannot have that level of control/restraint on a biological construct with all the variables involved. And even if you could, it would not be the seemless human seeming product that they were aiming for. "More Human than Human"

Yeah. The whole point of "replicant" is that they are not robots. It's why the toy maker from the first film began building little robots as a form of therapy--he knew what he made professionally was actual life, not really different from other humans outside of enhancements and a poison pill.

That's why you need a blade runner to detect them, and you can't just use some imagining diagnostic. Physically they are human, cellular based life. The test the blade runners give is really just a psych evaluation meant to test discrepancies in reactions from not having the normal brain development a human has growing up. But that was one of the issues in the first film, memories of childhood were being grafted onto the replicant's brain during development to mimic even that and that was making it harder and harder even for blade runners to tell who was "really human".

Deckard was the bad guy of the film...he was killing slaves who were human and looking for freedom. He was a slave catcher. Which is why he hated doing it, most likely because the replicants had gone from bad copies of human (An obvious labor force), to being fully human in his lifetime.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
so Rachel in 2049 was a CGI re-do like Tarkin in Rogue One? Because if so then it was almost flawless. I guess they had more footage to work with because Cushing wore slippers on set or something so was only filmed from the knee up

khorum

Murder Apologist
Sean Young filmed some scenes in secret though. They prolly tracked her face and used her real voice.

Saw this the second time yesterday. Easily my favorite of 2017.

khorum

Murder Apologist
You want one of them cinemark XD theaters or somewhere with a really blinged out bass section.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Sean Young filmed some scenes in secret though. They prolly tracked her face and used her real voice.

Have you seen any recent pictures of Sean Young? Recreating Rachel's face from her current one is as at least as impressive as The Tarkin Job.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
LOL yeah, i figured they just used motion tracking and the voice track like I said. The result is exactly as it was in the 1982 print. Even the outfit.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema and it was epic. Everything about this movie was on point. Wasn't a big fan of the first one but this had me hooked.

• 1Like