Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (From the creator of Symphony of the Night)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The email telling me about my backer code was in my junk mail folder.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been playing this all day. Fucking great IGA-Vania. 2.5D does not hold it back and the controls are responsive and the pace is similiar to SOTN. This one is kind of a cross between Order of Ecclasia with the townspeople that have collection quests and the Harmony games and the soul collection stuff. Music has been great so far too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not normally a fan of 2d side scrollers or metroidvanias, but christ am I bored and needed something new so I sprang for it and I'm pleasantly surprised after an hour or so of play.

Siliconemelons

I used the crystal ability you get off of the knights with the screw-sword. It hits extremely fast and tears him up.

Yeah I have that and I was using that but was working on timing it - I was going for when he goes into repost mode- but I was too close? So the thing would "hit the front" and trigger his counter and it got all jankey

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not normally a fan of 2d side scrollers or metroidvanias
Image result for disgust gif

• 6Worf
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This is a really weird game to pick when you're not fan of these lol.

Yeah but theres been a dry spell and I did like the castlevania symphony game all those years ago so I followed thus for awhile.

My distaste is more for 2d in general than specifically metroidvanias but oxygen nor included has brought me around a bit on 2d side view games.

Siliconemelons

Getting a feel for this game more... as I digest the "10%" that I have done thus far.

I know someone already mentioned it, but yes... you are getting the best of all the metroidvanias in one game- but done in a way that goes a step up and a step out in its own direction.

The "souls" from AoS and DoS, the hub and villagers from OOE, PoR etc.

The visuals and music are just outstanding - everything is fun to look at and baddies are fun to dispatch. Even on easy it is not a game you can just press forward and spam attack- yet it is not throw controller and curse... maybe it is on HARD but, well, that was your choice ;-)

I hope this gets into a series, I am sure it will... expand it beyond the current focus of main characters, just for freshness sake. Nothing wrong with Miriam or anything, but after a game or two we will want to play someone else.

Even if this does not spawn a new "Castlevania" series - this game in and of itself is worthy of all the acolades thus far, its journey is a marked success even with delays.

One big thing, again I mentioned - was IGA never came back to the kick starter crew and asked for more money... he never asked for a new campaign to help deal with the delays in terms of finances.

It started with 500k, that was met in 4 hours and he had 1.5M in a few days - since that its just been cruising - I am sure he had more income via "selling" the game via standard+ backing methods - but he never was like "Aww dang we cant pay our devs or keep the lights on because we planned for a 2 year cycle and now are in 3 and 4...so our kickstart $ and other funds are gone...plz help or this is DOA" nope never. So I give him and all the team that "managed the money" an A+ and that I think is that truly was what led to success along with IGA and his teams and partners talents and passion.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
apparently there are 13 free dlc's and a total of 3 characters. so we'll see how that goes

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Getting owned by zangestsu- good night lol

Watched Dan play him, and he died so much he reached the 4 rules stage (STFU). Only permabanned one guy though.

I just got to him and oneshot him. I found an 8 bit coin and bought the shield that is a sword. If you hit with it as something hits you, it guards 100% of the damage.

I used up my mana summoning the tentacles from the first boss (have that shard at tier 4), then facetanked him. The shield hits very fast, so you guard nearly every hit he does. He jumped away, go behind, start hitting, he turns around, guard, then hit. He never even did the scorpion to the roof and jump down thing. I think I accidentally cheesed him.

.... Then I went two rooms further and a curse lady destroyed me.

Siliconemelons

Nice lol,

I did find one of those 8-bit coins, its fairly close to the start

its "below" the main gate, then backwards under the path you took and in the wall... I think

I am just "one of those guys" and I do not want to spend an item I only have 1 of...just incase...you know...

I did look at all the insanely nice items the coin made and was like "must keep!"

FYI this all started when I did not have enough "soap" in Lunar to watch the girls hot springs ova... from that point on.. HOARDER MODE