Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I dunno what he got but some obvious ones to pick up if you haven't added them to your collection already:

Pandemic
Sushi-go Family
Coup
Carcasonne
Warchest
Twilight Imperium if you want to kill yourself
Castles of Burgundy (I much prefer to play this online)
Sheriff of Nottingham
A Game of Thrones the board game (this came out well before the tv series and is pretty nice)
Zombies

Kid ones varying in age:
Sushi-go Family from above list
Ravensburger Labyrinth
Kingdomino
Takenoko
Dragonwood

I really want to get the Zombies one but I just dropped $100 at miniature market and I think the woman would be pissed.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I see Photosynthesis in here, I really enjoy that game. its a puzzle-y game with a bit of area control

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Need some advice on Too Many Bones. It seems like a game I would really enjoy, and I trust Hateyou Hateyou 's recommendation.

My dilemma is with my play group, which consists of my gf and other friends. We play once a week on average. My partner and I could play more frequently, but we like larger group interactions.

As I have just dipped back into board gaming, our first foray has been Gloomhaven, which has been a big hit. However, I can tell myself and one other LOVES the game, the others (including my gf) like the game, but I think it's too technical for her. Doesn't help that she started as a Spellweaver. Whereas I could play 2 scenarios in one sitting, 1 scenario per gaming session is more than enough for her.

More recently, I got Aeon's End Legacy, and it really clicked with her. I think the mechanics are simpler, and she had a lot of fun with it. Also, the individual games are shorter, so she doesn't mind playing more than one scenario a night. She liked it enough that I ended up spending $300 to get the rest of the Aeon's end stuff as a late pledge.

So first and foremost, I want a game that we can play together that she will enjoy. Barring that, I don't mind playing solo. So reading back on this thread, I see both that TMB has great components, is fun to play....but I also read that it's hard to learn, you will lose a lot until you get the hang of things.....am I correct in this assumption? My fear is that the game might be too hard for her and so she won't want to play it more than a few times, which means I will end up playing it solo (I won't play with other people because game night is at my house, and we would never play a game with my gf not participating).

So I see that Hateyou Hateyou recommended waiting for the new KS, which I understand is launching May 21. Do you think my fears about the game are unwarranted? What I was thinking also was just buying the base TMB game from their website ($130-ish). I assume I would be able to get the game within a week or so, so I would be able to play before the KS launches to gauge if my gf likes the game or not. I have never really done KS games before.....would I be missing out on anything? If it turns out she likes the game, would I be able to get all the add-ons/expansion minus the core game? If I would be missing out on a discount, what's a usual amount? If it's like 5-10% then that's no big deal, but if it's like 25% plus then I might be better off waiting and getting everything at once....risking that she may not like the game, but I will probably enjoy it solo.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Mizake Mizake TMB is very easy to play if you pick a class that has 1-3 stars in complication. My 11 year old and wife picked it up easy as long as I told them what the enemies were doing. Everything is written out on the character sheets etc. Hardest part is figuring out some of the lingo during setup but that only took me a few hours. It is one of my all time favorite board games. If she can understand Aeon's End, TMB should be no issue, just don't play the bard, mech, or berserker for first character.

Gloom haven can be exhausting to win, you really have to think ahead.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Hatorade Hatorade Ok that sounds more encouraging. I didn't realize characters had star ratings based on difficulty, that's a nice feature, I wish GH had something similar.

You advised against my gf playing the bard, mech, or berserker for first character.....how many gearlocs come in the core box? Are those 3 of the core box starter characters?

Also, what direction would you advise for me.....buy the core game now at $130, or wait for KS and get everything at a discount? What kind of discount can I expect (percentage-wise, a rough estimate is fine, again, I have no KS experience so I don't know what the usual discount percentage is for these types of games).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Need some advice on Too Many Bones. It seems like a game I would really enjoy, and I trust Hateyou Hateyou 's recommendation.

My dilemma is with my play group, which consists of my gf and other friends. We play once a week on average. My partner and I could play more frequently, but we like larger group interactions.

As I have just dipped back into board gaming, our first foray has been Gloomhaven, which has been a big hit. However, I can tell myself and one other LOVES the game, the others (including my gf) like the game, but I think it's too technical for her. Doesn't help that she started as a Spellweaver. Whereas I could play 2 scenarios in one sitting, 1 scenario per gaming session is more than enough for her.

More recently, I got Aeon's End Legacy, and it really clicked with her. I think the mechanics are simpler, and she had a lot of fun with it. Also, the individual games are shorter, so she doesn't mind playing more than one scenario a night. She liked it enough that I ended up spending $300 to get the rest of the Aeon's end stuff as a late pledge.

So first and foremost, I want a game that we can play together that she will enjoy. Barring that, I don't mind playing solo. So reading back on this thread, I see both that TMB has great components, is fun to play....but I also read that it's hard to learn, you will lose a lot until you get the hang of things.....am I correct in this assumption? My fear is that the game might be too hard for her and so she won't want to play it more than a few times, which means I will end up playing it solo (I won't play with other people because game night is at my house, and we would never play a game with my gf not participating).

So I see that Hateyou Hateyou recommended waiting for the new KS, which I understand is launching May 21. Do you think my fears about the game are unwarranted? What I was thinking also was just buying the base TMB game from their website ($130-ish). I assume I would be able to get the game within a week or so, so I would be able to play before the KS launches to gauge if my gf likes the game or not. I have never really done KS games before.....would I be missing out on anything? If it turns out she likes the game, would I be able to get all the add-ons/expansion minus the core game? If I would be missing out on a discount, what's a usual amount? If it's like 5-10% then that's no big deal, but if it's like 25% plus then I might be better off waiting and getting everything at once....risking that she may not like the game, but I will probably enjoy it solo.

If you want to go that route I’d say going with Undertow to start may be an option, if you don’t mind getting the story out of order. It’s not a big deal for me, but others it may be. I’ve always been more of a mechanics and gameplay over story person. It’s $85 vs. $130, a stand-alone, and designed around 2 players. The KS discounts were $32 for main gain and $17 for undertow, decent, but not huge.

You will not be missing out on anything other than the discount if you don’t do the Kickstarter because they don’t do Kickstarter exclusives. They are very respectful of their customers and don’t like people feeling left out. They go above and beyond any company I’ve ever dealt with in terms of customer service, and finding ways to make their customers happy.

In terms of the game, it is tough. Solo I have won one and lost two. Duo, I’ve lost twice. It’s one of those games that takes a few attempts to click and understand where you should put your points. You think you want to get all your skills but it’s not feasible, you basically need to pick one skill path to go after but your stats are very important over skills.

Hatorade Hatorade should be good to comment on how it went over with his group.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hatorade Hatorade Ok that sounds more encouraging. I didn't realize characters had star ratings based on difficulty, that's a nice feature, I wish GH had something similar.

You advised against my gf playing the bard, mech, or berserker for first character.....how many gearlocs come in the core box? Are those 3 of the core box starter characters?

Also, what direction would you advise for me.....buy the core game now at $130, or wait for KS and get everything at a discount? What kind of discount can I expect (percentage-wise, a rough estimate is fine, again, I have no KS experience so I don't know what the usual discount percentage is for these types of games).

The base box has four characters, Undertow has two. There are four additional characters you can get in addition to those six. The berserker comes with the original game, bard with Undertow, mech is an additional character. Everything is compatible with everything, although you won’t use the water creatures from undertow during the original game.

The Kickstarter discounts varies from like 15% all the way to 50% on at least one of the low dollar items. Optional pet chips was $5 instead of $10. Generally it has been 15-20% range.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

I would get the base game and play as pickett and patches or pickett and boomer. If you love it like my group does go all in, everything is awesome. If you need to pick and choose I would buy in this order.

Base game and Premium Health(they feel so good)
40 days in Daelore
Undertow expansion
Ghille and Tink with ally pack
Nugget
Gasket
Age of Tyranny

If you really love legacy style game I would grab Age of Tyranny then Undertow Expansion.

The adventure map is nice but we did stop using it after about game 5 or so.

My complaints about this game include long setup and break down, which is doubled if you play Age of Tyranny.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree on the map. It’s actually harder to use it than the card because the chip doesn’t turn well. It also just takes up table space and the stone on the map is just one more unnecessary thing to keep track of. Also agree on the heavy chips. It seemed dumb to me but I saw so many people suggest it I finally picked them up, once I got them i was sold, it does feel much better.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Hatorade Hatorade and Hateyou Hateyou thank you both for all your advice.

I'm think I'm gonna just get the base game (+premium health chips) and gauge how much my gf and group will like to play it and go from there. I'm guessing I can buy the expansions minus the base game when the KS starts up.

Interesting to hear that this game has a long setup/breakdown time, I would not have guessed it as how "simple" the mat and chips appear to be. I doubt it will take longer to setup/breakdown than Gloomhaven, and that's even with the Broken Token organizer!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Not a recent game, but has anyone played the game Mombasa?

I really like Broom Service, so I was looking at the designers other games

Mombasa

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hatorade Hatorade and Hateyou Hateyou thank you both for all your advice.

I'm think I'm gonna just get the base game (+premium health chips) and gauge how much my gf and group will like to play it and go from there. I'm guessing I can buy the expansions minus the base game when the KS starts up.

Interesting to hear that this game has a long setup/breakdown time, I would not have guessed it as how "simple" the mat and chips appear to be. I doubt it will take longer to setup/breakdown than Gloomhaven, and that's even with the Broken Token organizer!

Yeah box is huge and it is stuffed, take pictures until you can remember how it all goes. TMB indeed.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Anyone played Escape Plan yet? Lacerdas' games are usually pretty intricate but this does not seem to be his normal brain burner. After 1st play, feels like a tigher, more focused version of Clank.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Newton the board game, it has some fun mechanics but you have to really plan ahead or commit to a goal and work towards it. The problem is mid game you know if you are fucked or not and kinda ruins the fun.
38DC4BC8-EAD6-4C3D-BAA3-39B4C85F08C6.jpeg

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Scythe is getting a modular game board. This is probably my favorite game I've gotten in the past 5 years and easily my favorite I've gotten off of kickstarter. Only thing I wish is they had an option for the oversized board size on the modular option.

Scythe Modular Board

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Scythe is getting a modular game board. This is probably my favorite game I've gotten in the past 5 years and easily my favorite I've gotten off of kickstarter. Only thing I wish is they had an option for the oversized board size on the modular option.

Scythe Modular Board

Scythe is my favorite boardgame of all time. Also helps that I have won probably 80% of my 20+ matches with friends.

Also TMB coming today after work:

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ordered TMB and all the expansion/add-on stuff they had in stock, looks pretty sweet. The stuff I wasn't able to get were the Mech dude and Undertow. How quickly do they typically get stuff back in stock?

(Not super familiar with their store site, they both said in stock but when I selected NA region that indication went away).