California trying GPS-tracking mileage tax for 2016

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What is stopping all those grease monkeys / tech geeks from simply removing the device and leaving it in the garage or if they are really smart, only putting it in their car every other day or something?
What's to stop people from always driving in reverse so that they get paid by the government for their negative mileage!?

iannis

Musty Nester
So... triple dipping?

There is everything wrong with this idea and nothing right with it.

It really doesn't matter how much per mile it is. It's the idea itself that is offensive. As soon as the tax is implemented it will be increased. Taxes don't go down and they are not repealed.

The more reasonable thing to do would be to apply an added tax to title. When you buy a car -- lump sum. When you sell a car -- lump sum. California requires inspection, doesn't it? You do have to go to the state and pay them a yearly tax already to license your car.

I'm guessing that they've already loaded down titles/inspection with taxes. It must be truly onerous, if this seems like a better idea.

This sounds like one of those things that will end up costing more to implement than it'll ever recoup in revenue. So, I fully expect it'll be coming soon.

GPS already has issues with line of site, I wonder how reliable it will be when every asshole and his brother starts getting jammers and repeaters to game the system.

I'm all for a use tax for a public property like our roads, but there's got to be a much simpler way to implement this, and that money absolutely shouldn't get to end up bundled with the rest of the tax revenue and paying for other shit it wasn't intended for.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What are they going to do with people who have older vehicles or don't want to install an aftermarket device? Make you keep some sort of giant ass lithium ion battery pack on a receiver black box?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know, we'll do another Cash For Clunkers program where we issue bonds to help pay for the incentives necessary to get people to take their existing older cars that they probably own and exchange them for new cars and five years of payments! And then we'll take the old cars people traded in and destroy them. And we'll grossly underestimate the costs to do so.

Going further into debt to finance the destruction of capital and get citizens to themselves take up more debt to pay for a program that is itself a trojan horse? Perfect!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What are they going to do with people who have older vehicles or don't want to install an aftermarket device? Make you keep some sort of giant ass lithium ion battery pack on a receiver black box?
the gov can find a way to move heaven and earth to generate new tax revenue. If anything they could just use odometer readings.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Guess they need to stop pushing biking, public transport, and car pooling if revenue is dropping off.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Because we dont use as much any more per vehicle? More efficient engines combined with smarter use = less consumption. Its politicians and people being stupid short sighted idiots.
I understand that. But if they're low on revenue because less gas is being used, they can simply raise the taxes per gallon by a certain percentage to make up for the lost revenue from more efficient vehicles. Stinks either way.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Hearing a bunch of liberals bitch about over-reaching government taxation is like listening to fat bitches complain about the calorie content of Twinkies.

You're all hypocrites and faggots.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
What Sledge said, why not just tax gas more?

Some asshole selling GPS devices must have lobbied that shit hardcore.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Heavy commercial vehicles do the most damage to roads, not light vehicles owned by private individuals. If governments really wanted to be effective, then the VMT would be applied to commercial vehicles only, and at a rate that corresponds with the wear they do to the highways.

Eventually, state and federal VMT's will be the norm, in addition to the existing fuel tax. Who know what the average combined tax of the two will be. If it's .30, then a friend of mine is looking at an extra $30k a year in tax.
redface.png
In my Canadian Province when you buy insurance (from the goverment) you pay a license fee for your plate, this fee is based on your rate class (deliver under 160k delivery over 160k delivery over 500k, business, private passanger, public passanger etc..) and the weight of the vehicle. For large vehciles over 10,000kg gvw this license fee can be $1500-$2000 per year on top of your annual insurance premium.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think they're just trying to get out in front of the highway taxes going down if hybrids and electric cars get more popular. It's really a more reasonable method of assessing taxes, but like some other people have said, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of a GPS in my car that the government has access to. The odometer could give you probably more accurate data with less chances of the NSA getting access to it and fucking you up the ass at some point.

I'm kind of all for it though, maybe people will finally quit living in suburbs and driving their cars unnecessarily. Will help out on our obesity epidemic too so my health care can be affordable.
I think you're being wildly optimistic here. No one is going to stop commuting over a couple cents a mile tax. Even if you have a 50 mile commute it's only going to cost you $10 a week. Less than you will probably spend on coffee in the same time.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'd vote Hitler into office if he promised to stop this tax.

Government GPS aren't going on my car. Not now, not ever.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I think they're just trying to get out in front of the highway taxes going down if hybrids and electric cars get more popular. It's really a more reasonable method of assessing taxes, but like some other people have said, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of a GPS in my car that the government has access to. The odometer could give you probably more accurate data with less chances of the NSA getting access to it and fucking you up the ass at some point.
OnStar Amends Its Terms Of Service To Allow For Tracking Without Consent | TechCrunch

You have been tracked for a while if you own GM cars, granted not by the gubment but not like they couldn't get ahold of it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think their big worry is electrics becoming viable. Once they do - zero gas consumption is an eventuality with just as much road wear and tear. And taxing electricity for the specific use would probably be tricky.

Cybsled

Pretty much. Better mileage and reduced usage of gas = gas tax doesn't do as much. Honestly the lower wage citizen gets fucked in either scenario: You either make fill-ups more expensive or you punish people for commuting. The US has shitty public transit outside of cities (which are dubious unto themselves) and if you're job is of the type where telecommuting is not an option at all, you don't exactly have any choice in the matter as to how you can get to your job.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys lets build rail that stops like a bus, carries as many people as a bus, is as fast as a bus, and travels the exact same routes as a bus!