Captain Marvel (2019)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
it looks wonderful, but why would the Kree take some mentally damaged female from earth and give her 'Thanos killer' powers?

They don't need Captain Marvel to take down Thanos ...

Avengers-without-Hawkeye.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they're taking a little of established Marvel backstory + Agents of Shield Kree + girl power (lets be better than wonder woman)

I'm optimistic for it, the comic guys are the store, not so much cuz
comics have rewritten that her mom is kree and she is half kree

but whatever, if they have to change established characters to fit modern times, so be it.

i mean Starlord first appeared as a dorkier looking version of nite owl from Watchmen before watchmen was even a thing
latest

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
thats not what you said though, by your rules, there can be white Wakandan citizens and they wouldnt be colonizers.

Are you going to suggest that space aliens that have no relation to human-specific skin colour differences is the same as humans that come from Africa and were created specifically to be about their race? Is that where you're going to go, Chuk?

I might be an autistic nerd that likes to argue about inane bullshit when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy universes, but even I'm not that fucking retarded to delve into that level of stupidity.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Are you going to suggest that space aliens that have no relation to human-specific skin colour differences is the same as humans that come from Africa and were created specifically to be about their race? Is that where you're going to go, Chuk?

I might be an autistic nerd that likes to argue about inane bullshit when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy universes, but even I'm not that fucking retarded to delve into that level of stupidity.
Wakanda is a fictional place, make believe. why cant there be white Wakandans?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure I wasn't the first person in the world to think it, but I initially came up with the Emily Blunt casting here and I've been pretty disappointed ever since they announced Brie. I mean, I'm optimistic that it will still be good because it is Marvel, and the only Marvel movie I consider not worth rewatching is Black Panther (Thor Dark World and IM3 close, but still better than BP), but the vibe Brie Larson gives off still doesn't really inspire me like I think Blunt would have. I was also a big fan of Ms. Marvel back in the "Rogue stole part of her memories and powers" era, so this isn't fully the Captain Marvel I was hoping for.

The trailer didn't really thrill me too much either. Not bad, but not hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-my-neck exciting like Infinity War was (the trailer). Voiceover was not amazing or inspiring really, but I don't know how it plays to someone that has no fucking clue what the movie is about, so maybe it works for them.

That being said, this doesn't look too bad. The effects look great in fact, far better than whatever bullshit they thought was good enough for BP. I am confident that Coulson and Fury will help steady the movie quite a bit too, so it won't all be on Larson (who admittedly isn't terrible either, just not Blunt levels of awesome). I really like the character, so I'm hopeful that this movie does her justice. I'm still pretty excited to see it, despite the ways it could go wrong. I still have enough faith in Feige that it will appeal to someone like me, and to someone that's never heard of her before. And I'm pretty certain that she'll "go Binary" towards the end of the movie too, and I can't wait for that. The effects already look fantastic.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Her voice really is jarring. I see what's going on in the trailer and I'm like "Yea, sweet. That's badass" and then I turn my volume up and listen to her voice and I think "Wait, is this Adventures in Babysitting 2019?" Though maybe that's not being fair to Elizabeth Shue. She's capable of bravado and gravitas.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The article title is referencing the Fury Doll with the cat... it's kind of a spoiler so dont click if that stuff upsets you.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The trailer didn't really thrill me too much either. Not bad, but not hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-my-neck exciting like Infinity War was (the trailer).

i don't think an origin story style film will ever do that like Infinity War did.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The article title is referencing the Fury Doll with the cat... it's kind of a spoiler so dont click if that stuff upsets you.

damn, i read this but figured it wouldn't be a very big spoiler, so clicked the link anyway.

really wish i hadn't.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
toy companies do that sometimes. when the Super Mario Brothers movie came out the commercial for the toys spoiled Mario's last name before the movie was released. its not exactly the same thing in regards to that link, but ive seen this stuff before.
and yeah, thats a pretty big spoiler. dont look at the Nick Fury toy

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty sure there were also zero women doing what Peggy Carter was doing during WW2 in real life so maybe that isn't really an angle worth nitpicking.
There were female "agents" but they were spies not embedded with an army unit in a command position? It's not a huge leap for a secret project, there were lots of women working on Enigma for example or as secretaries, which is what she's probably modelled off.