Captain Marvel (2019)

Cybsled

She starts as a Kree warrior without memories, and finishes as a human with her memories back. The whole thing though lacks any sort of emotional journey and character evolution. She's fundamentally the same at the end as she was at the beginning.

I think this is a valid point. Her origin arc seemed kind of flat, in part due to the fact we aren't super invested in it. She can't remember anything except being on Earth, but storywise there isn't a strong enough hook to really invest you in it. If you didn't have the Fury tie-in, then I don't think it would have held on its own. You don't really get more interested until the Skrull plot twist and then of course it is cool to see the leash taken off and her go Omega mode. But you're right, beyond the power boost, you don't think she had fundamentally changed as a person. She went from one goal (defend Kree Empire) to a new one (help the Skrulls find a new home), the main difference being is she is at her full potential from a purely powerlevel standpoint.

You could make the point that not every hero does that, and you'd be right, but the payoff is sometimes better because the storyarc is more interesting. Steve Rogers is Steve Rogers, who he is doesn't fundamentally change, just who he trusts and how he views others through the lens of his worldview. But his emotional struggle is better in Winter Soldier and somewhat in Civil War. A good friend is being manipulated and he has to choose between saving others and saving his friend, without being sure he can do both. In Civil War, his unwaivering ideology puts him at odds with former friends and allies. Granted, he had 2 additional movies to flesh things out and CA1 wasn't the most solid Marvel entry, but you'd think they would learn from some of those past missteps and maybe try to elevate the introduction of Capt Marvel.

I think you guys are going a bit too far with the bought-out theatre stuff. For it to have any sort of effect, it would have had to been on a large scale and you'd see more reports of it than a handful of questionable pictures of empty theatres.

I can go into pretty much any movie theater for any movie at 10am and the place will be 90%+ empty usually, so I'm with you on "lol look at this empty theater!!!" photos are pretty shit "evidence". Location also counts. The theater near me next to all the major colleges usually fills up no problem for big movies, but older theater near a crappy part of the city doesn't get many people at all, regardless as to what movie is showing.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
in the movie the pager was good for a "few galaxies away" and for him to use it for emergencies only. how far is "a few"

so "snap" just starting and -this is an assumption on my part- the snap propagates like a wave with an origin-faster than light, but say 200k light years per second(the milky way is 180k light years in diameter). and she is...~6 million light years away- flying in space alone- at that rate it would take ~30 seconds for the snap to reach her- and about the same length of time for fury to be snapped from the start of the snap to the button press. if she is flying alone, the pager hits, then she immediately goes to "light speed" and flies back nonstop, how would she know the snap happened?

there are 143 galaxies within 12 million light years of earth, the closest being only 250k light years away

another fun fact, the andromeda galaxy, is "flying" towards the milky way and they will collide in...4 billion years.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
in the movie the pager was good for a "few galaxies away" and for him to use it for emergencies only. how far is "a few"

so "snap" just starting and -this is an assumption on my part- the snap propagates like a wave with an origin-faster than light, but say 200k light years per second(the milky way is 180k light years in diameter). and she is...~6 million light years away- flying in space alone- at that rate it would take ~30 seconds for the snap to reach her- and about the same length of time for fury to be snapped from the start of the snap to the button press. if she is flying alone, the pager hits, then she immediately goes to "light speed" and flies back nonstop, how would she know the snap happened?

there are 143 galaxies within 12 million light years of earth, the closest being only 250k light years away

another fun fact, the andromeda galaxy, is "flying" towards the milky way and they will collide in...4 billion years.
giphy (1).gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you guys are going a bit too far with the bought-out theatre stuff. For it to have any sort of effect, it would have had to been on a large scale and you'd see more reports of it than a handful of questionable pictures of empty theatres.

It would also have to be on an international scale since the movie is making just as much money overseas. Don't let logic get in the way of a good conspiracy though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
IW was huge. Perhaps the most impactful movie of my time. It seems impossible for a significant portion of CM watchers to not be there directly (and only) because of IW/IW2.
Those are big imagined numbers, like the size of entire other movie patronage numbers and then add the numbers from normal traffic draws and yeah, this movie probably did very well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

You don't grasp the power of the infinity stones at all I see. I can kind of understand this since in the Cinematic Universe they don't get the proper respect they deserve but this round about dipshittery explanation is retarded. 1/2 of all life was erased instantly. Period. She was in the lucky 50% category.

I mean truth be told even with 1-2 stones used to their max potential Thanos would be unstoppable. The only reason he can lose with the infinity gauntlet is simply because they have to tell a story. Here just look and understand the power these fucking things have.

Soul - Allows the user to steal, control, manipulate, and alter living and dead souls. The Soul Gem is also the gateway to an idyllic pocket universe. At full potential, the Soul Gem grants the user control over all life in the universe.

Time - Allows the user to see into the past and the future; stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time; travel through time; change the past and the future; age and de-age beings, and trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time. At full potential, the Time Gem grants the user omniscience and total control over the past, present, and future.

Space - Allows the user to exist in any location; move any object anywhere throughout reality; warp or rearrange space; teleport themselves and others; increase their speed, and alter the distance between objects contrary to the laws of physics. At full potential, the Space Gem grants the user omnipresence.

Mind - Allows the user to enhance their mental and psionic abilities and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. At full potential, when backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously. The Mind Gem is also the manifestation of the universal subconscious.

Reality - Allows the user to fulfill their wishes, even if the wish is in direct contradiction with scientific laws, and do things that would normally be impossible; and create any type of alternate reality the user wishes. At full potential, when backed by the other Gems, the Reality Gem allows the user to alter reality on a universal scale.

Power - Allows the user to access and manipulate all forms of energy; enhance their physical strength and durability; enhance any superhuman ability; and boost the effects of the other five Gems. At full potential, the Power Gem grants the user omnipotence.

As you can see without trying to get too nerdy here. Thanos with the infinity gauntlet is basically Super Saiyin Ultra Jesus on Steroids. He is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, exists outside of time and space, has control over all life, can alter reality to his whim, and have control over all beings minds. Marvel shows the stones as powerful but your average movie goer probably doesn't realize how powerful this shit is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
IW was huge. Perhaps the most impactful movie of my time. It seems impossible for a significant portion of CM watchers to not be there directly (and only) because of IW/IW2.
Those are big imagined numbers, like the size of entire other movie patronage numbers and then add the numbers from normal traffic draws and yeah, this movie probably did very well.

This is probably very true, this being inbetween Infinity War 1 & 2 no doubt provides a huge boost to the viewings. Thing is even if you take away all the SJW horseshit from Captain Marvel it feels shallow and empty to rewrite shit, make her the first Avenger "Fuck you Captain America", and give her some big role in defeating Thanos in Infinity War 2. Again these movies have been built up over years and we have no emotional investment in Captain Marvel. Feels like a crock of shit to me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
This is probably very true, this being inbetween Infinity War 1 & 2 no doubt provides a huge boost to the viewings. Thing is even if you take away all the SJW horseshit from Captain Marvel it feels shallow and empty to rewrite shit, make her the first Avenger "Fuck you Captain America", and give her some big role in defeating Thanos in Infinity War 2. Again these movies have been built up over years and we have no emotional investment in Captain Marvel. Feels like a crock of shit to me.
Captain America's first movie was called 'The first Avenger" but in the movie was he ever referred to as "Avenger"? was the name ever referenced? I always thought the title just referred to the fact that he was in fact born way back in the 1920 / 30s? So even if they did name the Avengers after her call sign she still wasnt the first Avenger. I could be wrong that was just my take on this

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm going to unfortunately check in on the End Game spoiler

If it's lore deficient to the tune of Iron Man 3, cya later Muhvel

• 2Picard

Brad2770

Captain America's first movie was called 'The first Avenger" but in the movie was he ever referred to as "Avenger"? was the name ever referenced? I always thought the title just referred to the fact that he was in fact born way back in the 1920 / 30s? So even if they did name the Avengers after her call sign she still wasnt the first Avenger. I could be wrong that was just my take on this

Thor is the first Avenger. Born 1500 years ago.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
RLM basically said the same thing.
They wanted cathartic conclusion, not new introduction.
I see it as the Transformers Movie (cartoon), setting up the next season's toy line. (Not saying this is good. But since it's a part of business, it doesn't rustle me as much)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When ‘Captain Marvel’ Became a Target, the Rules Changed
A representative for Rotten Tomatoes, Dana Benson, said the change to its audience score had been in the works for a while, but that the attacks on “Captain Marvel” prompted them to roll it out earlier than planned.
“We’re very dedicated to making criticism more inclusive,” Ms. Benson said. “All the thought and care that went into the Tomatometer, we are expanding that to the audience score.”

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair, the scenes after she ditches the flannel were pretty flattering. The jeans looked great on her.
Flat Ass Gate was hullabaloo. Since people have been making such a deal over it, I started paying attention to other asses and there is a large number of equivalent butts that haven't been so negatively reviewed.
She was cute in the movie and the ass didn't aversely impact anything. There was this one scene where she crouched and then stood back up creating this awkward sag between the legs - but that was more poor costume construction than anything her.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Flat Ass Gate was hullabaloo. Since people have been making such a deal over it, I started paying attention to other asses and there is a large number of equivalent butts that haven't been so negatively reviewed.
She was cute in the movie and the ass didn't aversely impact anything. There was this one scene where she crouched and then stood back up creating this awkward sag between the legs - but that was more poor costume construction than anything her.

The only way we can be certain would be 4k high definition pictures of her butthole. You know for science.

Where is Harvey Weinsteins icloud when you need it?

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm confused as to what her ass has to do with the movie? I mean yeah it's flat...but why does it matter?

I'm not trying to troll here, I'm genuinely curious to the thought process here.

• 4Picard
  • 3Like
  • 2Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Crimson

Peasant
The movie was very generic. I did enjoy the music choices. The Stan Lee stuff was really nice.

Brie is super cute though. It’s a shame her leftist/feminist attitude makes her less attractive. She would be hot as fuck in some cowboy boots, short shorts, a Marlboro t-shirt and a MAGA hat.

Look how unhappy that face is, but how much that body wants to be dominated-
View attachment 198837

A terrible personality will make even the hottest body unfuckable.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users