CFB 2013-2014

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The problem with Texas now, as opposed to 10 or especially 20 years ago is that they have allowed the other schools in the state to infringe on their dominance of the state. Yes, Texas is still by far the big boy in the state, but now instead of having 90% of Texas kids dying to be a longhorn, it may only be like 50%. A&M has grabbed a ton of the spotlight the last few years, Baylor has become a desirable destination, and TCU, Texas Tech, and Houston are all players to some degree, whereas they were complete afterthoughts a decade or two ago.

It's still the flagship university, but it's no longer just a brainless task to recruit to Texas, they actually have some competition for players in their own state. It still may be easier to recruit to than Alabama, but it's not as easy as it used to be. Texas used to only have to worry about Oklahoma taking some kids and that was it. Now there's legitimately 6-7 programs that have legit shots at the top kids in the state.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
My man in Austin is telling me that Saban caught wind of the sexual abuse story at UT that is (finally) about to break, and it spooked him something fierce.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I don't know how this is gonna play out, but Foggy you are setting yourself up for forever alone, suicide watch status when Saban signs for 8.5 million/year at Alabama and Texas hires Charlie Strong or Pat Fitzgerald. COOL YOUR JETS BRO.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My man in Austin is telling me that Saban caught wind of the sexual abuse story at UT that is (finally) about to break, and it spooked him something fierce.
lol I love all this "my man in austin shit". Bring on the dramaz and lulz.

rrr_img_52962.jpg

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm confused. Are you just rustling Foggy's jimmies? Or are you talking aboutMajor Applewhite plowing trainers on bowl trips? Or something else?
He is just trolling.

Joeboo, Saban to Texas would murder any momentum any other Texas programs have. You also clearly have no clue how the state works. Even at its height under MB, Texas had to battle with A&M for some players because of the dynamics of the state. Also, lol @ A&M stealing spotlight. Gratz on 8-4 with the best QB and WR in college football bros.

Taebin, I'm happy that Mack is gone. Unless they hire a bum, which I really doubt they will. I'm going to be excited. Obviously, Saban would be the best.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I very much know how Texas works, being an avid follower of Big12 football since its inception, and the old SouthWest Conference being the 2nd closest conference geographically(and on TV) to the Big 8 before that. Grew up watching a LOT of Texas and Texas A&M. A&M has always pulled nice recruits, even when they've been mediocre. Now that they are more in the national spotlight in a better conference, that's only going to even get better. Instead of consistent top 20 classes they're now in a position to consistently pull top 10, if not top 5 classes. And the state of Texas is a drastically different landscape now than it was when Mack first took over. Baylor is no longer a laughing stock, they're becoming Oregon Jr, and TCU should get back on track soon, they've been pulling a decent amount of NFL talent in the last half decade or so. That couldn't be said 15-20 years ago(other than the random occasional guy like Ladanian Tomlinson). Texas Tech is even respectable more often than not. While I think they would be better off had they stuck with Mike Leach, they're still a team that can flirt with the top 25 somewhat regularly.

I'm sure Saban would win big at Texas, that isn't an issue, but when the job falls to someone else it isn't just some cakewalk where the guy can show up and just start winning championships. Mack would be doing that if it were the case. Mack isn't a bad coach. Honestly, if Texas doesn't get Saban(and I don't think they will) I think there's a 50/50 chance that whoever they get is worse than Mack. There's really no sure thing in college coaching outside of Saban and probably Urban Meyer. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As do I. Big 8 basketball was goddamned awesome, and while Oklahoma and Nebraska dominated the football it was still a fun conference.

My first year at Mizzou was the first year of the Big 12 (96), I don't know why but I've held on to all of my football and basketball ticket stubs all these years because they all say "BIG 12 INAUGURAL SEASON" on them. Little did I know then what it would turn into in the last couple years, lol.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Damn good PR guy though. You will never hear him say a bad word about the other team(s) or kids on his squad. Always 100% respectful.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Mack is a horrible coach.
I think his only significant flaw as a coach is not making good choices on assistant coaches and coordinators. Texas was rolling when he had Chizik and Muschamp as assistants on his staff, and he hasn't followed up their departures with anyone close to the same quality. Because of that they have made some poor recruiting choices, and I don't think they develop players as well as they once did earlier on in his tenure. I think he's a solid Xs and Os gameday coach(not great, but not bad, solid) and he's a good teacher himself, but he's done poorly replacing some of the coaching talent that has left, for whatever reason.

He might also be too nice for is own good. Dude seems like a legitimately nice/good guy. As much as I dislike Texas as a whole and their AD, I've always liked Mack as a human being.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Latest ridiculous rumors in Sabangate are Bob Stoops to Alabama if Saban leaves for Texas

Sterling

El Presidente
Interesting. Still think it's all just bullshit so that Saban can milk an extra couple million a year from Alabama.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Whether Saban leaves or not , it's amusing as all hell here in Alabama. Having AU turn it around in one year , beat Bama in the "greatest ending ever" being replayed everywhere still , go to the NC game, then this weeks talk of Saban leaving have the local Bammers taking jimmies rustled to a new level.

If he actually left it would go to mass suicide watch.

Sterling

El Presidente
Replacing Saban with Stoops is definitely a step down. Why not throw Cowher and Gruden into the rumor mill as well. Have yet to hear their names mentioned!

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The one I hear most from Bama fans is that Jimbo's already on the plane to leave FSU if Saban did leave.

/wipes tear from eye

Just when I thought the AU season couldn't get any better after the Iron Bowl and Championship Saturday , this week happens. It's a joy to behold.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
No takers for Army, plus the points, on an avatar bet? I believe the line is now Navy -13.