CFB 2013-2014

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I'm sure there's a lot of BS drama behind the curtains head coaches deal with, but from an outside perspective USC seems like a better job to me. Pac-12 > Big 12, California and Texas are probably similar in producing recruits, USC has nicer uniforms and a stronger history and LA > central Texas.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Think it'd be harder to win in the Pac-12 with Oregon and Stanford on their recent success. UCLA is getting better and you still have another year of sanctions.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Some good points about politics and Texas football being a possible negative.

The biggest area for football recruits is the Texas, AND the South. Florida (being the biggest) specifically has a large disparity of player% in the NFL vs. pop% in the US. Cali has the most NFL football players, but their differential is like 2% whereas Texas and Florida both are 3.28% and 3.77% respectively. Not discounting the other Southern states like Georgia and Louisiana. While I think that is a factor in what jobs you take, it certainly should be no bigger a factor for UT vs. USC jobs.

UT pay the most hands down, bar none. Is that a factor, yes I am sure it could be. If UT offers the highest annual salary and some insane signing bonus (like says 20 million+) they will have a very good chance of getting their pick of the litter. I don't think USC can match dollar for dollar against UT.

I think one thing USC has going for it is fan apathy. Some may find this bad, but the pressure of being the UT coach and winning is second to none. At least in LA if you lose they have the Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers to look forward to. Austin is all about UT football, all year long period. Not to mention having the Longhorn network in bedded in your college program, I also think that is a negative as well.

It does not matter anyways, I think they will make huge overtures to Kevin Sumlin, who I hope says "no", he would never go to UT because that is tantamount to what would be the biggest scandal in Texas football history. Would make for good reading though.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure there's a lot of BS drama behind the curtains head coaches deal with, but from an outside perspective USC seems like a better job to me. Pac-12 > Big 12, California and Texas are probably similar in producing recruits, USC has nicer uniforms and a stronger history and LA > central Texas.
Not sure where this idea that California produces recruits/football players on a par with Texas (or even Florida) came from, but its absolutely fucking absurd. Maybe in certain situations, but not in the amount. Not even close.

That said, USC would be an easier job. I'm sure SC has their share of wealthy donors and boosters, but no program in the country has as many as UT - and none as hands on. Being HC at UT would be a nightmare (unless you win the NC every other year, then it would be awesome).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Nice win today by West Virginia over Oklahoma State...but can someone explain how Oklahoma St was even ranked that high to begin with? They were 4-4 last year in a weak Big 12, and all they've done this year was beat a mediocre Mississippi St in their non-con, and that amounts to a #11 ranking? Kinda surprising.

It's almost like poll voters forgot that 2012 happened, and were thinking that Oklahoma St was coming off of a BCS bowl season(which was 2011, and all of those key players are long gone)
Think voters just wanted/needed a B12 team ranked high as justification for something (what, I don't know). OSU seemed as good a pick as any. Think OSU's problem (and the problem with the B12 as a whole) is the talent level seems WAY down from years past. All those big-time Texas recruits are at LSU, A&M, Bama, etc now. Sure Texas still gets a good amount, but not as many as in years past - and OU/OSU (who had benefited significantly from said recruits) are missing tons of targets south of the Red River.

Hats off to WVU - defense looked good, and exposed a lot of problems with OSU's offense. Same as it ever was...

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I wish OU would leave the B12 and head somewhere else. The conference gets all the Texas talent not wanted by the SEC. Bring OU and TU into the SEC and rebuild that Texas/TAMU rivalry and keep the OU/TU game.

Imagine if Texas had to play A&M this year.. My Lord, Austin would melt down after that game.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You're right, that's why USC has more players currently playing on Sunday than any other school by a good margin. That's why we have more National Championships than basically any other school. You're completely right, there are no players here compared to the South and Texas.....

I'm not going to sit here and debate money, both schools have distinct advantages over basically every other school where it all just comes down to getting the right coach and the rest falls into place. The question now is can either school get the right coach? Months and probably years before we know that.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
By just pure numbers CA is #1 for players who get to the NFL. I'm not sure what it is per capita. I know Louisiana is #1 in per capita of players in the NFL. I don't think anyone could go to either CA or TX and say there is a lack of quality recruits as a reason they can't do well. Just for shits and giggles, every starter in the 2011 title game for LSU on defense has played a professional down of football already.

US1-25_original.jpg

Top16NCAA_original.jpg

Conferences_original.jpg

Per capita

States (per capita)
Louisiana -- 1 per 73,119 people
South Carolina -- 1 per 85,655
Mississippi -- 1 per 92,728
Alabama -- 1 per 99,578
Florida -- 1 per 101,082
Georgia -- 1 per 101,975
Montana -- 1 per 109,935
District of Columbia -- 1 per 120,345
Texas -- 1 per 136,661
New Jersey -- 1 per 139,554
United States -- 1 per 184,216

Dis

Confirmed Male
You're right, that's why USC has more players currently playing on Sunday than any other school by a good margin. That's why we have more National Championships than basically any other school. You're completely right, there are no players here compared to the South and Texas.....

I'm not going to sit here and debate money, both schools have distinct advantages over basically every other school where it all just comes down to getting the right coach and the rest falls into place. The question now is can either school get the right coach? Months and probably years before we know that.
We are right, you are wrong. Thanks for acknowledging

Edit: Also, I am not sure where the hell you are getting your stats for NC from either:

USC is ranked behind Notre Dame, Alabama, and Oklahoma.

Then when you count the cumulative NC of the South/Texas vs. West coast schools it is not even close.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
I wish OU would leave the B12 and head somewhere else. The conference gets all the Texas talent not wanted by the SEC. Bring OU and TU into the SEC and rebuild that Texas/TAMU rivalry and keep the OU/TU game.

Imagine if Texas had to play A&M this year.. My Lord, Austin would melt down after that game.
Oklahoma's legislature won't let them go anywhere without bringing Oklahoma State along. It's the ultimate little brother move when mommy and daddy make you play with little Timmy when nobody likes little Timmy enough to invite him along to begin with.

Texas won't join the SEC for 2 reasons (There isn't an invitation out at this point, but there probably was a couple of years ago):

1) They are scared. They know that the competition is miles ahead of what they already can't handle in the Big 12. A&M wanted to keep their yearly game with Texas, and Deloss Dodd ran with his tail between his legs. That should tell you all you need to know about Texas.

2) The SEC would never let the Longhorn Network fly. Texas went all-in on that piece of shit, and A&M said "Thank You very much" and exploded past them as the best team in the state. It's hard to measure how much Texas arrogance has cost them.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Also, I am not sure where the hell you are getting your stats for NC from either:

USC is ranked behind Notre Dame, Alabama, and Oklahoma.

Then when you count the cumulative NC of the South/Texas vs. West coast schools it is not even close.
Yep, my phrasing was as an absolute and your knowledge of the English language unquestioned......

Nice Cushing pic, where did he go to school again?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Would UT even join a conference where they aren't top dog and a conference that does an even split money wise across the board including BCS payouts?

As far as joining the SEC they would basically need the approval of A&M (good luck with that one) since historically the SEC has only extended invitation in the last 2 rounds of expansions to schools that can get 100% of the schools to vote in their favor. That is what protects A&M, Georgia, Florida, SC etc...from in state/regional rivals.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Brando is questioning someone's understanding of the English language.

It's a sign of the end times.
Really? Thought that countdown started when your granddaddy had to start letting the blackies off the farm every Saturday morning to play some ball.......

Tea_sl

shitlord
Texas won't join the SEC for 2 reasons (There isn't an invitation out at this point, but there probably was a couple of years ago):

1) They are scared. They know that the competition is miles ahead of what they already can't handle in the Big 12. A&M wanted to keep their yearly game with Texas, and Deloss Dodd ran with his tail between his legs. That should tell you all you need to know about Texas.

2) The SEC would never let the Longhorn Network fly. Texas went all-in on that piece of shit, and A&M said "Thank You very much" and exploded past them as the best team in the state. It's hard to measure how much Texas arrogance has cost them.
Texas won't/didn't join the SEC for one reason only - money. Texas's arrogance has lead to them making $20 million more per year in profit than the highest SEC team. But by all means keep jizzing in your face about how scared they are.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure you know what almost all of those words mean. Don't try and deflect away from your asinine statement about the Longhorn Network either. Texas makes far more money in the big 12 then it would in the SEC. I'm sure the $20 million inprofitthat they would lose anually is inconsequential.

To address your facts, which are not facts but rather baseless speculation about facts, from Texas's point of view A&M jumped ship and nearly destroyed the conference then wanted to schedule games after Texas had already filled the OOC schedule. Could Texas have dropped one of those games? Absolutely. We're they obliged to? Fuck no. A&M broke ranks then wanted to kiss and make up, and Texas told them to get fucked. It makes sense for anybody not in the SEC who can't bear the thought that someone else doesn't give a shit about them.

That isn't to say that A&M is the bad guy either. They did what was best for them and got fucking paid. Because this shit all comes down to money.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I'm not sure you know what almost all of those words mean. Don't try and deflect away from your asinine statement about the Longhorn Network either. Texas makes far more money in the big 12 then it would in the SEC. I'm sure the $20 million inprofitthat they would lose anually is inconsequential.

To address your facts, which are not facts but rather baseless speculation based on facts, from Texas's point of view A&M jumped ship and nearly destroyed the conference then wanted to schedule games after Texas had already filled the OOC schedule. Could Texas have dropped one of those games? Absolutely. We're they obliged to? Fuck no. A&M broke ranks then wanted to kiss and make up, and Texas told them to get fucked. It makes sense for anybody not in the SEC who can't bear the thought that someone else doesn't give a shit about them.

That isn't to say that A&M is the bad guy either. They did what was best for them and got fucking paid. Because this shit all comes down to money.
I am not sure where your sources are coming from Tea, but they are dead wrong. Texas fucked the conference, hell Oklahoma was ready to bail at one point. If it wasnt for the fact that Texas had to make concessions to their Longhorn network, that and the fact they were able to negotiate a sweetheart network deal for the Big 12, was the only thing that held it together. As far as the in state game, yes Texas told TAMU to get fucked, but not because they were the bigger, better school. It is because UT threw a tantrum that AM would not play ball with them (IE let UT dominate Texas recruiting with the Longhorn network), and promptly decided to take their toys and go home. This decision was based SOLELY by Dodds, now TAMU has MULTIPLE premiere games at College Station a year, the Longhorns have the Red State Rivalry which has not been a rivalry in a long long long time.

Now I will say this, with Dodds gone, hopefully they replace him with an AD with some common sense. If so you will see the UT vs TAMU game on the books, and in all honesty it would be good for both schools and their respective recruiting efforts.