Chat GPT AI

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Ahhh yeah that's pretty believable then. I'm used to mostly just thinking about the way things affect the future of STEM fields. Probably true of soft subjects in general that ChatGPT can do passable work. In particular, creative writing classes are FUCKED.

Right. Is your target product functionally indistinguishable (or exactly equal to) sufficiently sophisticated bullshit? If so, these GPTs are coming for you.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well I solved the crisis.

Make students write about current events:

1674257185425.png

ChatGPT and other models still rely on pre-training on older datasets and that isn't going to change anytime soon, to avoid a situation like the one that happened with the Tay bot.

1674257282364.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've already seen teachers claiming that the dead giveaway of ChatGPT use was that the essays were too good, like by far the best in the class.
I could believe this for a typical high school class for sure. Here's a random sample.

write an essay on the reasons for the revolutionary war. use large vocabulary. use a pretentious tone.

The American Revolution, also referred to as the U.S. War of Independence, was the insurrection fought between 1765 and 1783 through which thirteen of Great Britain's North American colonies threw off British rule to establish the sovereign United States, founded with the Declaration of Independence in 1776, and ending in 1783 with the recognition of independence by Great Britain, represented by the Treaty of Paris. The revolution resulted in the formation of an independent nation, the United States of America, and the overthrow of colonial rule by Great Britain.
The reasons for the revolutionary war are multifaceted and complex, rooted in political, economic, and social grievances. One of the primary causes of the revolution was the imposition of taxes by the British government without the consent of the colonists. The Stamp Act of 1765, the Townshend Acts of 1767, and the Tea Act of 1773 were all met with fierce resistance from the colonists, who argued that they were being taxed without representation.
Another major reason for the revolution was the British government's attempt to exert greater control over the colonies. The Quartering Acts of 1774 and 1774 required colonists to provide housing and supplies for British soldiers, while the Proclamation of 1763 restricted colonists from settling beyond the Appalachian Mountains. These and other attempts to exert greater control over the colonies were met with widespread opposition and contributed to growing resentment towards British rule.
Furthermore, the Enlightenment ideas of the time also played a significant role in the revolution. The works of philosophers such as John Locke, whose ideas of natural rights and government by consent had a profound impact on the colonists. These ideas of liberty and individual rights were central to the revolutionary cause and helped to mobilize support for the fight for independence.
In addition, the social and economic conditions of the colonies also contributed to the revolutionary war. The colonies were becoming increasingly prosperous, and the elite class of merchants, planters, and landholders were eager to gain more control over their own affairs, and gain greater economic independence.
In conclusion, the American Revolution was a complex and multifaceted event, driven by a combination of political, economic, and social factors. The imposition of taxes without representation, attempts to exert greater control over the colonies, Enlightenment ideas of liberty and individual rights, and social and economic conditions all contributed to the growing discontent among the colonists and ultimately led to the revolutionary war.

I would never recommend a high schooler submit this because generally teachers are just seeing if you've read the material. If your history class didn't cover the Stamp Act and you submitted an essay that mentioned it you'd better be ready for a teacher to pull you aside and tell them everything you know about the stamp act. If your class DID cover the Jabroni Act of 1775 and your dumb ass didn't cover it, it's a red flag.

There's parts of the essay that does feel robotic but a pattern is beaten into kids anyway. It didn't take us long to realize these essays were basically filling out forms that are easily gradable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
and just to go into an adjacent but more obscure example What was Bacon’s Rebellion? Summary of The Bacon Rebellion in 1676

write an essay on the reasons for Bacon’s Rebellion. use large vocabulary. use a pretentious tone.

Bacon’s Rebellion of 1676 was a seminal event in the history of colonial America, marking a turning point in the relationship between the colony of Virginia and the mother country of England. The reasons for this rebellion are multifaceted and complex, rooted in a confluence of economic, political, and social factors that converged to create the perfect storm of discontent and rebellion.
One of the primary reasons for Bacon’s Rebellion was economic in nature. The colony of Virginia was in the midst of a severe economic downturn, with many of the settlers struggling to make ends meet. This was due in large part to the failure of the tobacco crop, which was the primary source of income for the colony. As prices for tobacco fell and the demand for the crop declined, many settlers found themselves in dire financial straits, with no means of support.
Another major factor that contributed to the rebellion was political. The governor of Virginia at the time, William Berkeley, was seen as corrupt and ineffective, and many of the settlers felt that he was not doing enough to address their economic and social needs. Berkeley was also seen as being too cozy with the wealthy and powerful planters in the colony, who were able to use their influence to further their own interests at the expense of the common people.
Additionally, there were social factors that contributed to the rebellion. The colony of Virginia was a deeply divided society, with a small elite of wealthy and powerful planters who held most of the power and wealth, and a large population of poor and disenfranchised settlers who were often treated with disdain and disrespect. This social divide was further exacerbated by the presence of a large number of indentured servants, who were often treated as little more than chattel and were given little or no rights or protections.
All of these factors came together to create a sense of discontent and frustration among the settlers of Virginia, which eventually boiled over into rebellion. Led by Nathaniel Bacon, a wealthy and charismatic planter, the rebellion quickly gained momentum and swept across the colony, as the settlers rose up against their oppressors and demanded a voice in their own governance.
In conclusion, the reasons for Bacon’s Rebellion were multifaceted and complex, rooted in economic, political, and social factors that converged to create the perfect storm of discontent and rebellion. The rebellion marked a turning point in the history of colonial America and has had a lasting impact on the relationship between the colony of Virginia and the mother country of England.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lol how is that 20-30 minutes of work?
It'd take me 30 minutes just to remember how VS code configures colors only for me to realize how shitty it is and to install pycharm. Then another 30 minutes getting anaconda to work in pycharm only to give up and install virtualenv.

• 1Truth!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is heresy.

cosplaying alien queen GIF
I use VSCode all the time, it's great.

It's shitty at configuring colors. Here's how you do it

explaining-sheldon.gif

I just gave up and it's the only IDE I ever use where I just let it cuck me and use whatever colors it wants to.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I use VSCode all the time, it's great.

It's shitty at configuring colors. Here's how you do it

explaining-sheldon.gif

I just gave up and it's the only IDE I ever use where I just let it cuck me and use whatever colors it wants to.
There is only one color layout and that is Monokai. I just install the extension. Ezpz.

I used pycharm prior to VS Code being released and it was alright. But now I love VS Code, would not trade it for anything else (except RStudio when it comes to R. RStudio is king).

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Chat GPT does a better Vanessa than Vanessa.

"write a one paragraph post for a gaming message board that juxtaposes censorship, religion and transgender rights."

When it comes to censorship in the gaming industry, it's important to consider the intersection of different social issues, such as religion and transgender rights. On one hand, some religious groups may push for censorship of certain types of content that they believe is morally or spiritually offensive. On the other hand, transgender individuals may feel that censorship is being used to silence their voices and perspectives in the gaming community. It's important to recognize that censorship can have a negative impact on marginalized communities, such as the transgender community, while also acknowledging that some religious groups may have valid concerns about certain types of content in games. It's crucial to find a balance between respecting the religious beliefs of some and protecting the rights of transgender individuals in the gaming community.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Get it to post an obviously shooped selfie whilst proclaiming how many heteros fawned over it and maybe we're talking.

Bonus points outdated lingo like "hatertots".

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
When they are all laying on the ground flopping around at the beginning it reminded me of an actual soccer game.
There's a scene in a novel like that. The main character is playing a full immersion VR Soccer game, and someone absolutely needs to talk to him, so they hack into his game and plop an avatar down in the middle of the field. All the AI bot players can't figure out what is the proper reaction to a plate-armored knight in the middle of their game so they all simultaneously fall down, holding on their knee.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I could believe this for a typical high school class for sure. Here's a random sample.

I would never recommend a high schooler submit this because generally teachers are just seeing if you've read the material. If your history class didn't cover the Stamp Act and you submitted an essay that mentioned it you'd better be ready for a teacher to pull you aside and tell them everything you know about the stamp act. If your class DID cover the Jabroni Act of 1775 and your dumb ass didn't cover it, it's a red flag.

There's parts of the essay that does feel robotic but a pattern is beaten into kids anyway. It didn't take us long to realize these essays were basically filling out forms that are easily gradable.
Im not sure if it covers all books, textbooks etc. But if you can ask it to summarize a book, I would imagine it has access to it. So in that case, wouldnt it just be a layer of protection for the student to ask the bot to write an essay based on chapter's # and # of Merril's "Chemistry and You" edition 4, as the only source? I mean no matter what a teacher does to combat AI - if there teaching style is as basic as asking your students to read chapter # and # and write an essay on it - then its the teachers fault for being so obtuse and not the students fault for cheating.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We could stop having kids write about bullshit novels like Lord of the Flies for the 5 billionth time, churning out papers that look exactly the same as papers that have been written about that same novel for 50+ years, about a story that's completely made up that people somehow treat as a true story due it its cultural ubiquity, despite real-world evidence that kids don't behave that way in real-world analogous situations.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
We could stop having kids write about bullshit novels like Lord of the Flies for the 5 billionth time, churning out papers that look exactly the same as papers that have been written about that same novel for 50+ years, about a story that's completely made up that people somehow treat as a true story due it its cultural ubiquity, despite real-world evidence that kids don't behave that way in real-world analogous situations.

People not reading and understanding that book is why we are, where we are. I agree, essays are bullshit. We need to test for understanding, not knowledge or memorization.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Im not sure if it covers all books, textbooks etc. But if you can ask it to summarize a book, I would imagine it has access to it. So in that case, wouldnt it just be a layer of protection for the student to ask the bot to write an essay based on chapter's # and # of Merril's "Chemistry and You" edition 4, as the only source? I mean no matter what a teacher does to combat AI - if there teaching style is as basic as asking your students to read chapter # and # and write an essay on it - then its the teachers fault for being so obtuse and not the students fault for cheating.
I think the more specific you get with the request the easier it is to spot answers. I gave it the below prompt and anyone who was grading this response would immediately know it was just a technical word salad with incorrect equations / citations.

1674497121215.png

• 2Like