Cheated out of my youth

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You would have to be crazy to want to be a teacher with how little they get paid

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Mom busts teen son in bed with middle school counselor

33 year old sleeping with 17 year old ... ninth grader

frenchclub.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 7 users

Brad2770

This school is about 3 miles from my ex wife’s/son’s house. He has friends in boy scouts going there next year.

Found another story on this: supposedly happened during 2016-17 year, so he was 15/16 years old at the time.

Shannon Hathaway: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Nevermind, article says he was 17. WTF. 17 in 9th grade.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This school is about 3 miles from my ex wife’s/son’s house. He has friends in boy scouts going there next year.

Found another story on this: supposedly happened during 2016-17 year, so he was 15/16 years old at the time.

Shannon Hathaway: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Nevermind, article says he was 17. WTF. 17 in 9th grade.
Odds the kid stayed back on recommendation from this woman so that he stayed in her middle school?

• 1Like

Brad2770

Odds the kid stayed back on recommendation from this woman so that he stayed in her middle school?

I sent that article to my ex wife. Come to find out, she was my son’s counselor for next year. Or would have been.

21380CF9-4125-4064-ADC4-A361DD0A130D.jpeg

As for holding him back, can counselors do that?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
counselors have no real impact on a student's education, other than helping them deal with issues that might get in the way of their studies. so no, a counselor can not make any kind of professional recommendations for holding a student back. the only time, i think, a counselor would have any impact is if there were some SEVERE learning disabilities and they were specifically approached by the education team.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
You would have to be crazy to want to be a teacher with how little they get paid

High school teachers in my district retire on a pension that's two-thirds of their base salary, and they are making over 90k by the time they retire. They also work 9 months out of the year. Granted, this is the People's Republic of Chicago, which is among the high end as far as state teacher salaries go, but I still feel (most) don't deserve to get paid that much.

I would be more sympathetic about their salaries if they were required to have a MA/MS in the subject they taught (required in some really high-ranking countries like Finland), but most education majors rank slightly above journalism and gender studies majors in terms of academic competence, IMO.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
High school teachers in my district retire on a pension that's two-thirds of their base salary, and they are making over 90k by the time they retire. They also work 9 months out of the year. Granted, this is the People's Republic of Chicago, which is among the high end as far as state teacher salaries go, but I still feel (most) don't deserve to get paid that much.

I would be more sympathetic about their salaries if they were required to have a MA/MS in the subject they taught (required in some really high-ranking countries like Finland), but most education majors rank slightly above journalism and gender studies majors in terms of academic competence, IMO.
I remember studying for my molecular neuroanatomy final as my friend who was in the School of Education at UCONN was cutting out paper trees for one of his. Rustles me to this day.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I doubt this kid was held back that much. If you think about it middle school ends at 8 grade which means most kids at that grade are 13 or 14. So this kid was held back 3-4 times

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Differs by state, some states require master's degrees. But as you pointed out colleges will sell an education degree to anyone and tons of kids who probably shouldn't even be considering college go and get a degree in education just because they have no idea what the fuck else to study. Then you have this whole problem of people with degrees to become teachers not being able to get jobs because there is so much competition, which I'd assume also drives salaries down (or at least into stagnation).

I've dated two women who were teachers. They made laughable, terrible salaries and one of them taught in a private school that had no benefits like a pension plan. I think she got paid $38k/year in CT which is barely livable.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
my cousin was a teacher at a private school. terrible salary AND she had to buy her own books for the students. not to mention she'd get there at like 6am and be there till like 10pm. she LOVED her job, though so it took forever to convince her to move on.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Holy Jesus! Kinda makes sense now. When your employer is fucking you over that badly, no wonder so many of them seem to want an additional dicking if they can get it!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My wife taught middle and high school for 8 years before going back to school for her MA + Admin credential, has been an assistant principal for 4 years now. She spent a bunch of money out of pocket every year for supplies for her kids, it's like that in a lot of areas unfortunately.

In my anecdotal experience, most people become teachers because love teaching and want to help the kids. Like any job, you can get burned out for a number of reasons.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For these ladies, they can both get burned out through too much teaching, or from getting the clap from one of their students!