Coffee Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

joz123

Potato del Grande
I only get frap drinks at coffee places and got tired of paying 6 bucks for one drink at Starbucks. Burger King has large fraps for 2 bucks and taste just as good.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so i've been experimenting with nitro cold brew at home.

theres debate about using n2 vs n20 cartridges, n2 will give more tiny bubbles and a frothy appeal, but they'll both taste the same (sweet taste)

i bought two, a regular whip cream frother and a 64oz keg. I'll be returning the whip cream frother, it's only good for one cup really, and it's annoying, the keg, i can get a good amount of pulls, i just leave it in the fridge, it's rather tall, so i had to adjust shelves.

i had issues b/c usps loves to lose my packages, amazon ships shit to me now ups or via their own amazon shipping, but since the n20 i guess has gas in it, they can only ship gas and they lost my package twice.

the ratio's i'm using for cold brew is 5:1, 5oz of water to 1oz of grinds

and then i dilute with 2:1, 2cups of water to 1 cup of coldbrew concentrate.

I think i'll try 3:1 soon, you get more sweetness with less concentrate.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven’t kept up with this thread in a long time but am looking for a new coffee maker after 10 years. Any recommendations on grind and brew drip machines? Want to upgrade my coffee game.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Haven’t kept up with this thread in a long time but am looking for a new coffee maker after 10 years. Any recommendations on grind and brew drip machines? Want to upgrade my coffee game.

CR recommends the Cuisinart DGB-700BC and DGB-800 and the Black and Decker CM5000B, but if quality is more important to you than saving counter space, it's probably better to get a discrete grinder and a discrete brewer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I prefer pour over, but it's a nightmare for more than 2 people, and it takes a lot of "focus time". I also grind it right before I brew it, which is a hassle for trying to sneak out of the house in the mornings without waking the kids.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I prefer pour over, but it's a nightmare for more than 2 people, and it takes a lot of "focus time". I also grind it right before I brew it, which is a hassle for trying to sneak out of the house in the mornings without waking the kids.
how lawn mower ish is your grinder? the quiet grinder i've been looking at is the capresso, it's one of the lowest rpm grinders but i think i might just get a baratz encore.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
how lawn mower ish is your grinder? the quiet grinder i've been looking at is the capresso, it's one of the lowest rpm grinders but i think i might just get a baratz encore.
I have a shitass grinder, and I hate it. I want a baratza but need the current one to die before I'll replace it.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Video related. First comment has a 30% off code. No idea how frowned upon BRCC is by the coffee snobs. Made my first order after just being a yuban gold pleb.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not a coffee person at all. Drink a cup every couple of years.

Anyway, I hear good things about this stuff. Maybe I should send some to my mom.

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
I have some instant that I like to do at home, but otherwise an happy with some of lightbrew k-cups they have at work for our keurig. dark roast is not my fave. also did a bulletproof sort of coffee for a while, 1 SoB and about 3-4oz of super hot water with some cocoa and salt. Actually think I posted that in the keto thread. no sweetener, but it actually tastes kinda like a vanilla wafer cookie. Not bad.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I absolutely hate the taste of coffee but love the effect. Discovered White Coffee.

Much more tolerable.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I just make stovetop moka via italian bialetti thing. I like the least amount for the most effect. White coffee is half roasted beans that have an herbal tea kind of flavor.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
And are super caffeinated, and someone who regularly drinks 6+ cups a day with little effect, white coffee gets me jittery as fuck. As usual white is way more powerful than dark.

A gift I got:
indexlll.jpg

Inissia model. Discontinued so you can get for <150 US. And Nespresso machines are basically all the same -- solid ime. 19 bar pressure. I have not had an espresso machine in like 6-7 years. And out in the world, I refuse to pay more than 2.50 for a cup of coffee. Last time I was in a "coffee shop" Kurt Cobain was still alive.

But before this drought, I owned a nespresso, and loved it. I confess: I want ez. Usually, when I want a coffee is when I am working, and I do not want to lose my train of thought. Nespresso is made for people like me. I think they are the best overall approach and quality for this market niche.

Love their pods, and someday, I will build a guest house from all the old pods. I figure 15 years, tops, a nice one bedroom.

Not sure what my favorites are. I always liked the Roma. The "special" limited editions are nice. The flavored ones can go fuck off. I'll do my own flavoring with a little 'Buca, thank you Tony.

Almost out of the "sampler" that came.But I placed an order yesterday. 14 sleeves of the usual suspects. Any other nespresso people still feeding the Swiss conglomerate your money? Meanwhile, breakfast this morning:
0611001820.jpg

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
A gift I got:
View attachment 277622

Inissia model. Discontinued so you can get for <150 US. And Nespresso machines are basically all the same -- solid ime. 19 bar pressure. I have not had an espresso machine in like 6-7 years. And out in the world, I refuse to pay more than 2.50 for a cup of coffee. Last time I was in a "coffee shop" Kurt Cobain was still alive.

But before this drought, I owned a nespresso, and loved it. I confess: I want ez. Usually, when I want a coffee is when I am working, and I do not want to lose my train of thought. Nespresso is made for people like me. I think they are the best overall approach and quality for this market niche.

Love their pods, and someday, I will build a guest house from all the old pods. I figure 15 years, tops, a nice one bedroom.

Not sure what my favorites are. I always liked the Roma. The "special" limited editions are nice. The flavored ones can go fuck off. I'll do my own flavoring with a little 'Buca, thank you Tony.

Almost out of the "sampler" that came.But I placed an order yesterday. 14 sleeves of the usual suspects. Any other nespresso people still feeding the Swiss conglomerate your money? Meanwhile, breakfast this morning:
View attachment 277623
when i was in france, the nespresso patent wasn't enforced or they lulz at a pod machine in france, my bnb had a nespresso clone and a mixture of nespresso pods and others.

last time i checked only nespresso was making the pods, seems more ppl got into the game

*edit
looks like their patent started expiring in 2014 is why

don't forget to use some descaler for it, i've taken to use dezcal now instead of vinegar, this huge bottle should make enough for a few hundred uses

Urnex Dezcal Coffee and Espresso Machine Descaler Activated Scale Remover - 900g Bottle - Fast Effective Descaling Of Boilers and Heating Elements Faucets Spray Heads Milk Systems

they try to rip you off by selling tiny packets for the same price, just get this big jar

yea you could use vinegar but it's basically the same price (cuz it's powdered dilution) and you won't get vinegar smell that takes a few rinses to get rid of.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
got that exact generous bottle descaler. I have two relatives who have nespressos, now we all have enough descaler to last until 2030. The idea people pay for the packets...... and pay the same 12.99 or whatever it was.

This is an interesting chart for nespresso fanciers, or for anyone who likes thinking about coffee like an everquest gear chart.