College Basketball 2014-2015

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You really shouldn't use SU as a comparison for anything at this point. Or any college team, for that matter. Bunch of high school kids playing inconsistently all season long.

Just give up on trying to determine who's better by the "who beat who" method. Wait for the end of the tournament see if who's the champion makes you sick or not.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Discuss college basketball all you want. Trying to determine who's better is futile, especially at this point in the season. Just accept that the level play has devolved so much that reliability has gone out the window. It's varying degrees of a crap shoot each time a team plays.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The conference season starting in January will start to give us a decent idea. Once teams settle into a set schedule of two games per week vs teams you've actually heard of, it gets a lot more interesting.

Seems like this time of year, everyone is either playing some weird offshore tournament or some tiny private religious school that you've never heard of while often having an entire week off without a game. Hard for teams to settle into a consistent routine doing that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Would you be willing to bet that the standard deviation of most statistics has increased over the last decade, even after conference play settles in?

Well, it doesn't matter what you'd bet because it seems no one computes that statistic. I wonder if someone has an open database I could pull from.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Would you be willing to bet that the standard deviation of most statistics has increased over the last decade, even after conference play settles in?

Well, it doesn't matter what you'd bet because it seems no one computes that statistic. I wonder if someone has an open database I could pull from.
I would think so. 20+ years ago and through most of the history of college basketball, you could probably somewhat accurately predict/extrapolate how a team might perform from one year to the next, since your average player would progress from Freshman-Sophomore-Junior-Senior. You could probably take a Freshmans stats at a certain position, under a certain coach, in a certain type of scheme and predict somewhat accurately how they should progress each year, based on the results of previous players in the same situation.

Nowadays, with 1-and-dones, and a huge amount of transfers, it's just damn hard to predict anything from year to year. It used to be the norm was a team like Wisconsin, where they bring back all 5 of their underclassmen starters from a Final 4 team last year, now that is an extreme rarity. Obviously every team, now or previously, brings in new Freshmen every year so that factor was always a little unpredictable, but 20+ years ago you didn't have too many Freshmen coming in that were the go-to player on a team, instantly. They had to slowly work their way in to more minutes as the season or their career went on, so the crazy fluctuation wasn't there from one recruiting class to the next, most Freshman never contributed significantly to good, established teams.

The current landscape of college basketball today seems to be roughly equivalent to if every player in the NBA were a free agent every year. Just wild swings in power and lineups every single year. Obviously there are certain teams in the NBA willing to spend more than others, so they're more likely to stay good through the roster turmoil (just like blue-blood programs in college always getting the top Freshmen each year), but it's still pretty chaotic overall each year.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I agree with this for the most part. It's way too hard to judge high school competition for success at that level to be any real indicator of future success. The physical side of things I think would probably be a better predictor for kids that young. One thing NBA draft stats guys will tell you is that high school success is by far one of the most overrated aspects of evaluating prospects. It's the reason why players like OJ Mayo and Derrick Favors get drafted higher than they deserve to be. So yeah, more college experience (specifically against strong teams) the more accurate your predictions will be.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow is it rough having Kaleb Joseph play point. That was a great game in the first half and then the team just fell apart. With no leadership anywhere in sight on the team I'm seriously worried about the rest of the season.

6-4. Fuck me, I can't remember the last time we were this bad.

Phalanx

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wow is it rough having Kaleb Joseph play point. That was a great game in the first half and then the team just fell apart. With no leadership anywhere in sight on the team I'm seriously worried about the rest of the season.

6-4. Fuck me, I can't remember the last time we were this bad.
I know, they're going to struggle to get 20 wins.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Hungover and sad at UK beating us yesterday... I am also embarrassed by Chris Jones' massive flop. They need to sit him the rest of the year as he brings nothing to offense. He's trying to be our new Russ Smith but does not have anywhere near the skillset (especially shooting and assists). He makes dumb decisions and constant contested shots but doesn't try to make open shots. If he wasn't damn good at defensive pressure, he'd be a benchwarmer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Video with a couple more views. Losing is one thing, winning the game for the other team has got to be a nightmare.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've never cared much for Gottfried, but the spanking he gives K after his team spanked the Devils is money.

gMgj.gif

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Vols defeat supposedly top 25 Arkansas. Having seen only one game I don't know how they were in the top 25 though.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Mizzou is being decimated by Kentucky right now. I am actually kinda laughing a little bit (and I fucking hate UK). At this pace, UK will score 100+..