Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm fucking 50 and I download everything except games (thanks Steam). Once you set up Sonarr, it gets even easier. I generally pick and choose my movies because I'm picky about quality, but TV shows just appear as if by magic. And I play them all via my nVidia Shield on my TV.

Speaking of the Shield, mine is starting to act up a little. I've had it since it came out in 2015, so not necessarily surprising. I'd like to get another one, but from what I can tell, nothing has been improved since the one I own (and I prefer the rechargable remote that came with mine). I don't want to buy the exact same thing if a newer one might be coming out, but I can't find anything about that (other than this one Engrish website that copy pastas the same shit to multiple sites with no actual helpful info). Anyone have any thoughts? I mean, it just upgraded to 9.0, so it is as current as it possibly can be, but at some point 5 year old tech has to be inferior, right??

There is supposedly a hardware refresh in the pipeline for the shield but there isn't much information out there about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'll have to IM one of you chaps one of these days. I am sure I could figure it out, but I also do not have the time I once did. Free time goes straight to video games. :p

It's also good to know I am not the oldest fart in this place thanks Void :)

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I haven't bought a gaming system since the PS3/360. And I don't miss it. I game on PC and am totally happy with that.

All senior citizens like ourselves deserve to play Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, the new God of War, Spiderman, and about 6 others :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have 3 kids and haven't had TV for any of them. The kids shows available across Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube are so extensive that it's fine.

As for HGTV and Lifetime there are options to get those shows I think? Probably worth looking into IPTV that's recently been posted about, or like I said, figure out what shows she likes from there and download them? You literally can get any show, including Married at First Sight.
My kids never watch TV anymore. Like literally never. Its all about twitch, youtube, netflix, amazon and huluu xbox playstation and PC. They have not watched any TV since they were watching bob the builder and dora the explora or whatever the fuck in the early 2Ks when they were little kids.

Its my wife thats holding us back from unplugging. She jsut wont give up the cable. But at least in my area there is some competition now and with 3 providers the prices are really low compared to before when we only had one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife was the lynch pin too. I started downloading her shows - automated of course - and using Plex and she just never wanted to go back.

No commercials, no flipping channels, everything is on demand.

• 1Solidarity

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sorry if it has been said. Looking for an alternative to Vader Streams, worked great while it was around. Anyone have any suggestions?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yay! Finally the new Shield was released. It was listed earlier this month by mistake and then taken down.

If you already have one, I suppose it isn't a huge upgrade other than the processor being 25% faster, but the true Dolby Vision and Atmos is great (previously it would work if you passed a signal straight through to a receiver on apps like Kodi, but stuff like Netflix relied upon the Shield itself and it couldn't do them...I guess) if you have a setup to take advantage of it.

The on-board storage not getting much of an upgrade (if any) has a lot of people salty, but fortunately that's not an issue for me since everything is on my NAS.

I'm buying one because mine has had a few issues here and there, mainly that when I wake it up, maybe 20% of the time the entire screen is green and I have to turn it off and back on again from memory (via the screen, not the button which hard reboots it), which isn't a huge deal but is probably not a great sign for its longevity. I've had the thing for several years, so I'm justifying a new one.

I'm sure it is plenty of other places now too. There is a smaller one too, looks like a little speaker tube sorta, for $149.99.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yay! Finally the new Shield was released. It was listed earlier this month by mistake and then taken down.

If you already have one, I suppose it isn't a huge upgrade other than the processor being 25% faster, but the true Dolby Vision and Atmos is great (previously it would work if you passed a signal straight through to a receiver on apps like Kodi, but stuff like Netflix relied upon the Shield itself and it couldn't do them...I guess) if you have a setup to take advantage of it.

The on-board storage not getting much of an upgrade (if any) has a lot of people salty, but fortunately that's not an issue for me since everything is on my NAS.

I'm buying one because mine has had a few issues here and there, mainly that when I wake it up, maybe 20% of the time the entire screen is green and I have to turn it off and back on again from memory (via the screen, not the button which hard reboots it), which isn't a huge deal but is probably not a great sign for its longevity. I've had the thing for several years, so I'm justifying a new one.

I'm sure it is plenty of other places now too. There is a smaller one too, looks like a little speaker tube sorta, for $149.99.

Seems less expensive than previous iterations. Werent they $225 ish before?

edit- no game controller included .... wonder if your old remotes and trollers are compatible. knowing Nvidia prolly.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Seems less expensive than previous iterations. Werent they $225 ish before?

edit- no game controller included .... wonder if your old remotes and trollers are compatible. knowing Nvidia prolly.
Yeah, they are a little cheaper. The early leaks had people a little surprised at the price points. I would have probably bought it at $299 though, because it is just that good. I'm sure if I had a Roku or any number of other devices I might feel the same way about them, but my Shield has been one of my most used and most reliable pieces of tech for many years.

I'm happy they updated the remote (except the giant Netflix button, boo!), but I liked my old one that you could recharge. I hate shit that needs batteries or needs to be replaced when they die. I even bought USB rechargable scales (one for my fat ass, one for my food) because inevitably the fucking batteries die and I stop weighing said fat ass or food out of sheer laziness. Also, buying batteries pains me.

Maybe the old stuff will work. I'm pretty sure that after using the new remote though, I won't want to use the old one. That slider volume thing was dumb as fuck.

• 1Solidarity

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I have an nvidia pro shield that has never really worked right, so I might replace it come black friday since its just a bedroom device. Can't justify replacing the other two I have since they are working flawlessly

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What good is a plex vs a, say, pie box / nas box and plex clients on tvs? Most run steam 4K too. What's the Shield Pro attraction I'm missing?

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The shield seems overkill for streaming, I have a roku smart tv with the Plex app installed it also comes preloaded with netflix, and it supports DLNA as well. I can't see myself getting any other kind of tv, it has really cleaned up the clutter of devices hanging off the TV.

• 1Like

Crone

Was going to ask the same question about the appeal of the nVidia Shield. I've got a Roku box attached to the TV, among other things, but even that isn't really used because my Vizio TV has built in apps that work just fine. Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Amazon Prime, and YouTube.

Now the VIzio apps are slow AF sometimes, and that's kind of annoying, but TV's SmartApps these days are good enough for most people.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What good is a plex vs a, say, pie box / nas box and plex clients on tvs? Most run steam 4K too. What's the Shield Pro attraction I'm missing?
Honestly, I can't fully answer your question. But, one partial answer is the fact that you can use the Shield as the actual Plex server instead of needing to have a different device doing it. I have no idea if a Roku box/TV could do that, maybe it can. If not, that's enticing to a certain set of people, and not to a whole lot more. And I don't know if you can install Kodi on any of those other devices, but you definitely can on the Shield, and I personally can't stand the standard Plex app, so having Kodi is a huge upgrade for me. Others probably couldn't care less so that's a non-factor.

You mentioned the Steam streaming, which it does obviously. I feel like I've read that the Shield is the best in terms of performance there, but that could have changed with new versions of the other devices for all I know.

Again, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I'm going to say that I think the biggest part of it is the difference in processing power. I'm fairly certain that none of the other devices pack as much of a punch, but again, is it necessary? I have no idea. Maybe it is like buying a race car when a Honda Accord is more than enough for 99% of your daily driving.

Without doing any research, that's what I can think of. There could be other stuff, or there could be nothing that is special about it.

tl;dr You're paying for better performance is pretty much what it comes down to, I think.

• 1Like

Crone

Honestly, I can't fully answer your question. But, one partial answer is the fact that you can use the Shield as the actual Plex server instead of needing to have a different device doing it. I have no idea if a Roku box/TV could do that, maybe it can. If not, that's enticing to a certain set of people, and not to a whole lot more. And I don't know if you can install Kodi on any of those other devices, but you definitely can on the Shield, and I personally can't stand the standard Plex app, so having Kodi is a huge upgrade for me. Others probably couldn't care less so that's a non-factor.

You mentioned the Steam streaming, which it does obviously. I feel like I've read that the Shield is the best in terms of performance there, but that could have changed with new versions of the other devices for all I know.

Again, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I'm going to say that I think the biggest part of it is the difference in processing power. I'm fairly certain that none of the other devices pack as much of a punch, but again, is it necessary? I have no idea. Maybe it is like buying a race car when a Honda Accord is more than enough for 99% of your daily driving.

Without doing any research, that's what I can think of. There could be other stuff, or there could be nothing that is special about it.

tl;dr You're paying for better performance is pretty much what it comes down to, I think.
Roku can not run Plex Server, so that's a pretty big plus, and if doing that, the extra processing power would be greatly appreciated. I should look up some pics of Kodi's user interface, to see how much better it is. Being able to use it as a Steam Streaming device is pretty awesome, considering Steam discontinued their hardware for it. Recently bought one of their Steam hardware pieces off Ebay though for $30 to handle that if I ever want that. Also have Google Stadia coming, so not sure I'd use it for that.

Thanks for the run down Void, was informative.

• 1Like