Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
damn, cox just started implementing data caps in my area, 1TB/month. When I looked at my history I go over a few months of the year when I mass download 4k rips of everything. I guess that stops now :( They will start charging $10 for every extra 50GB.

pretty soon we're gonna go back to my 80s childhood, where people would copy everything to floppy and hand deliver each other the latest warez. The Handmaiden's Tale is real, except its married men who just want 4k streaming and rips being oppressed by ISPs

Actually the above is not un ironic, my parents and my wifes parents both have houses near us and they barely use their internet, I will probably download stuff at their houses and bring it back to mine over 2TB usb drives. lulz, its like pied piper

Fucking Cox.

They implemented caps in my area too. This after promising Gigabit speeds 2 years ago and still not delivering.

Looks like I'm going over to AT&T Gigapower. Anyone else have experience with them? I don't want to deal with them if they suck worse than Cox.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
how many floppys would it take to put a single 4k movie rip?

Let's say a very good quality 4k movie = 100GB

Roughly 71k disks!!

100 stacks of the picture below.

Slide12.PNG

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My ISP is now offering gigabit service in my area. I am currently at 250/10 (yes the upload speeds suck) with 500gb data cap, and paying $79.95 per month. The last 2 months I am bumping right up against the data cap, 10gb short last month and as of today I had 14gb left for this month. Then they will charge you an overage fee of $5 for every 1-25gb you go over, and $5 more of the same amount. Or I have the option of paying $10 per month to bring my data up to 1tb. Now, the gigabit service is $99.95 per month and unlimited data. So of course in my mind why not just pay the extra $10 per month and get the gigabit connection. Do I have any real need for it? No, but it is available and I want it!

I am going to need to upgrade my modem in order to fully utilize the new speeds though. Does anyone have a recommendation on a new modem? I am looking at one of these currently
Amazon.com: NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem– certified for XFINITY by Comcast and Cox. Device max download speeds is 1.0Gbps: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Next-Generation ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging- White: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, Model MB8600, plus 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0, Certified by Comcast XFINITY: Computers & Accessories

They all seem to have good reviews, and there isn't a huge price difference between them all. So I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience and/or suggestions.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The Cox change sucks, w/ our regular legal usage we're over 1TB every other month or so.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Gotta love monopolies. Completely raking everyone over the coals with their bullshit data caps. Now it has become the norm.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Gotta love monopolies. Completely raking everyone over the coals with their bullshit data caps. Now it has become the norm.
In Phoenix area they magically started getting faster speeds and didn't enforce the caps when Google was trying to expand into it. Now that they successfully killed off any chance of Google coming into town, expansion of their gigabit has essentially stopped and now we get caps. Who woulda thought?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In Phoenix area they magically started getting faster speeds and didn't enforce the caps when Google was trying to expand into it. Now that they successfully killed off any chance of Google coming into town, expansion of their gigabit has essentially stopped and now we get caps. Who woulda thought?

They have run more fucking gigabit commercials then people who actually fucking have gigabit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Data caps... #Americaproblems

Fucking unheard of living abroad.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Exactly what happened in OKC. Thankfully, AT&T is around to fuck them up right now. Who knows how long AT&T will remain the good guy, though.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I have gigabit internet, and have Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet/Plex setup on a ubuntu box. I have quickly filled up a 16TB raid 5. Now I troll the /r/datahoarders reddit and am working on a super micro 24 bay NAS. It's insane how much data we can consume.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have gigabit internet, and have Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet/Plex setup on a ubuntu box. I have quickly filled up a 16TB raid 5. Now I troll the /r/datahoarders reddit and am working on a super micro 24 bay NAS. It's insane how much data we can consume.
Those guys are my heroes.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh shit, without even going to that reddit I can tell I am going to be in trouble when I do. That's a perfect label for me, datahoarder. My friend is always asking me why I would keep stuff like shitty movies, and I tell him to shut the fuck up and keep watching my Plex for free!

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesn't take much to fill up that kind of space. Hell, I don't even have any 4k downloads and my 15TB NAS is 3/4 of the way full. When you want pristine 1080p BluRay copies of entire series like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and a ton of movies in 1080p DTS-HD MA format it fills quickly. If I were to start downloading 4k content, I would really have to start deleting stuff to make room for the new.

Data consumption is going to explode in the coming years as 4k becomes the norm.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Data caps... #Americaproblems

Fucking unheard of living abroad.

No shit, less than 50 usd a month gets you 1000mb up/down with no cap, TV and a unlimited talk, text and 5gb 4g data sim card in Hong Kong.

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't take much to fill up that kind of space. Hell, I don't even have any 4k downloads and my 15TB NAS is 3/4 of the way full. When you want pristine 1080p BluRay copies of entire series like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and a ton of movies in 1080p DTS-HD MA format it fills quickly. If I were to start downloading 4k content, I would really have to start deleting stuff to make room for the new.

Data consumption is going to explode in the coming years as 4k becomes the norm.
I have an 8-bay Synology NAS with 2x 5-bay expansions. Each with a 3TB drive in it. 54TB before HDD sizing shenanigans :( Only about 2TB of it is empty right now too, although I could easily free up another 10+ if I actually put some work into it. There was a time when I had an unlimited diamond Giganews plan and would literally just queue up stuff like this one guy that uploaded his entire comic book collection over a period of more than a year. That one in particular I even downloaded over DSL! But I still have all that shit, when I could probably just hit delete on the whole thing because it would be faster and easier to just download packs of what I want now vs. trying to fucking organize all that shit, what with all the extra .par files etc. I have entire directories of shit that are just labeled "Newsgroups" that I am sure I could delete and never miss. I'm a terrible person!

Datahoarder :( I think that will be my new user title once I'm done with the fluffy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have an 8-bay Synology NAS with 2x 5-bay expansions. Each with a 3TB drive in it. 54TB before HDD sizing shenanigans :( Only about 2TB of it is empty right now too, although I could easily free up another 10+ if I actually put some work into it. There was a time when I had an unlimited diamond Giganews plan and would literally just queue up stuff like this one guy that uploaded his entire comic book collection over a period of more than a year. That one in particular I even downloaded over DSL! But I still have all that shit, when I could probably just hit delete on the whole thing because it would be faster and easier to just download packs of what I want now vs. trying to fucking organize all that shit, what with all the extra .par files etc. I have entire directories of shit that are just labeled "Newsgroups" that I am sure I could delete and never miss. I'm a terrible person!

Datahoarder :( I think that will be my new user title once I'm done with the fluffy.
Prime Day is coming next week! Probably some deals on new HDDs!

They had a deal for a Seagate 3TB external USB 3.0 drive for $80, with free 1 day shipping. Snagged that, as I'm sick of using a 64gb thumb drive to watch 4k content!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

That's just excessive! lol.

I swear by Synology NAS though. I have the 5 bay, but couldn't convince myself to buy the expansion bays. 5x3TB drives seem to be just fine.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Prime Day is coming next week! Probably some deals on new HDDs!

They had a deal for a Seagate 3TB external USB 3.0 drive for $80, with free 1 day shipping. Snagged that, as I'm sick of using a 64gb thumb drive to watch 4k content!

Yeah, I need some hard drive space and some smart devices (lightbulbs, switches). Looking forward to it.