Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Only 3.839 million? Should be a good day for the market!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"Bearish unemployment figures leave uncertainty in America's homeless sectors"

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I miss going to the nerd shop. Also, I was unable to buy steak today because the local K-rogers is out. Life is hard. I really wanted some steak

*edit* I dunt spel gud

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
The restaurant company I work for had to dump inventory at the start of this. I picked up a stack of 18oz bone in ribeyes at cost :)

Only have two left though :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Good to know that its just the normal level of incompetence in the military and not some new level of as yet unseen incompetence rearing its head.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
There is a ton of incompetence everywhere in life, even in the military, but overall baring people/conditions from joining the military is one of the few things they've done pretty well, especially considering the immense public pressure to let anyone and everyone join just to be nice to them and/or fund their gender transition surgery.

Considering what we know (and more importantly don't know) about long term health issues with COVID-19, I don't see it as necessarily being incompetent for them to look into not taking recruits who have tested positive, especially while we're still in the middle of the outbreak.

However, given the limited research on COVID-19, there are likely a few factors that military medical professionals are trying to hash out when it comes to recruiting survivors: Whether respiratory damage from the virus is long-lasting or permanent, and whether that can be assessed; the likelihood of recurring flare-ups, even if someone has had two consecutive negative tests; and the possibility that one bout of COVID-19 might not provide full immunity for the future, and could potentially leave someone at a higher risk to contract it again, perhaps with worse complications.

Being cautious about putting the military, and thus tax payers, in a position of being responsible for a bunch of recruits with unknown potential health issues in the future? Doesn't seem particularly incompetent.

And a pox on your house for making me defend the administrative aspects of the military.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Good to know that its just the normal level of incompetence in the military and not some new level of as yet unseen incompetence rearing its head.
Please explain how barring entry fir those who have been diagnosed with a novel virus who's long term effects are completely unknown is a display of incompetence? Are you also outraged that asthma sufferers are also disqualified?

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, cautious is one thing but "lifetime ban" for any person who ever had coronavirus? A year from today, how many people do you think that would be? Right now, that's almost 1.5 million so what, 20 million? More? Are they going to start medboarding anyone who is active duty and tests positive? What about reservists? It is a pretty complicated decision that will have huge impact on readiness.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
That's an interesting take for sure.
it might be bro science but he's not wrong. Regular exercise is about the biggest thing you can do for health. I guess eating is more important.

It's not the equipment that gets gross usually. that stuff isn't hard to clean. It's the mats. Those get filthy fast.

iannis

Musty Nester
Dude, cautious is one thing but "lifetime ban" for any person who ever had coronavirus? A year from today, how many people do you think that would be? Right now, that's almost 1.5 million so what, 20 million? More? Are they going to start medboarding anyone who is active duty and tests positive? What about reservists? It is a pretty complicated decision that will have huge impact on readiness.
I would thinI it gets quietly reversed or ignored as the fact of how unwieldy it is becomes apparent.

It may also just be an excuse to downsize.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
it might be bro science but he's not wrong. Regular exercise is about the biggest thing you can do for health. I guess eating is more important.

It's not the equipment that gets gross usually. that stuff isn't hard to clean. It's the mats. Those get filthy fast.
Sure but is shutting down gyms killing people more than corona? I've got a hard time believing that. I know the importance of exercise

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would thinI it gets quietly reversed or ignored as the fact of how unwieldy it is becomes apparent.

It may also just be an excuse to downsize.
I actually looked through the list of disqualifying conditions, it's huge, as you would expect. I didn't see anything else comparable to that, a disease that is disqualifying even after being cured. Luckily it looks like they aren't doing it, but if it actually got sent out to the MEPS then it was on some phase of the approval process.

You know no one is trying to downsize the military, this is America. If anything we will just start paying China to fight for us.

• 1Worf

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Do you honestly think in two years it will still be a lifetime ban? It wasn't that long ago that there was a lifetime ban of gays in the military.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
One of my best friends is a pilot in the Air Force. He's approaching 15 years and is retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. When he notified his CO he asked him what it would take to keep him in the force and his response was "massive systemic changes in how the American military operates". I rofl'ed really hard when he told me that.