Cowboy Bebop

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, I didn't like old stoner Chu flip kicking that dude, either, which also was 'straight out of the anime'. Still looked janky and stupid.
Fine, I just don't really understand what people wanted/expected? If they had tried to ground it in "realism", people would've bitched that it wasn't like the anime. They've tried to keep it like the anime and now people are bitching it's "not realistic", forgetting the countless scenes where Faye is beating the shit out of dudes twice her size and Spike is flipping around like a methed up spider monkey.

If the goal was just to have something to bitch about, Netflix will deliver for you guys, of that I'm sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
While you seem gleefully content to lap up whatever they dribble out. To each his own.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
While you seem gleefully content to lap up whatever they dribble out. To each his own.
No, I have no expectations of this being anything other than terrible. I'm simply judging the trailer for what it was and that seems to be a light-hearted callback/adaptation of the anime. Like I said, I didn't love it, but I didn't exactly hate it either. The only reason I'm even watching this shit is because of Yoko being involved. If they hadn't gotten her, I wouldn't even be watching.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Not really what I wanted, but would be happy to be wrong.
Fuck you you fucking piece of shit Netflix.
It's horrible. The acting, the presentation, the action, ...Cowboy Bebop is not a comic, it's a cool noir jazz type. It's NOT flashy buddy buddy comedy.

I just hope the Chinese release a new virus this year, that kill us all.
Fuck this garbage Earth.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
what the fuck did I just watch?

Sometimes with these things, you do need to pull back and say, "ok, if this wasn't using the name X, would this be good?" like The Boys. pretty much, "in name only", but was ok, season 1. this... this seems like the answer is still no.

• 2Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It kinda is though? Jet and Spike very much had that relationship.
Not even that.
They only knew about each other when they were forced to. (episode 5 for example)
Yeah they were partners and were together for some time but calling them buddies? Far fetched.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fine, I just don't really understand what people wanted/expected? If they had tried to ground it in "realism", people would've bitched that it wasn't like the anime. They've tried to keep it like the anime and now people are bitching it's "not realistic", forgetting the countless scenes where Faye is beating the shit out of dudes twice her size and Spike is flipping around like a methed up spider monkey.

If the goal was just to have something to bitch about, Netflix will deliver for you guys, of that I'm sure.
What I think we all wanted was for them to not make this at all. In fact they need to stop making adaptations all together and come up with some new shit.

I kept wating for Kumar to pop out.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Make Art Fearless Again.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they were partners and were together for some time but calling them buddies? Far fetched.
They "team-up" in multiple episodes and their meal at the end of The Real Folk Blues suggests that they were far more than just "partner" bounty hunters. Jet actually goes looking for Spike when he's meeting with Laughing Bull and Spike returns to the Bebop for a "last goodbye".

Sure, they may have started out as partners, but it's pretty clear that they develop a friendship. To call the idea of them being buddies "far-fetched"? I don't know that we watched the same anime.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
9jlGxDml.jpg

• 9Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 12 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Jet seemed fantastic.

Spike came across as autistic more than exhausted.

I don't even know what character the woman was supposed to be, since it sure wasn't Faye.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
Jet seemed fantastic.

Spike came across as autistic more than exhausted.

I don't even know what character the woman was supposed to be, since it sure wasn't Faye.

Jet was always going to be the easiest of the three to pull off. It's been a while since I've done a marathon of Bebop but I seem to remember him having the fewest action scenes of the trio.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what the fuck did I just watch?

Sometimes with these things, you do need to pull back and say, "ok, if this wasn't using the name X, would this be good?" like The Boys. pretty much, "in name only", but was ok, season 1. this... this seems like the answer is still no.
naw i don't think this qualifies as "in name only" thats something like galactica, this is just worse than fan made

like, they actually let a fat faye cow on set

like, this was a bad faye cosplay
EcCBwqTWAAIjlaa.jpg

but even this thing went to the trouble of getting an appropriate wig

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
naw i don't think this qualifies as "in name only" thats something like galactica, this is just worse than fan made

like, they actually let a fat faye cow on set

like, this was a bad faye cosplay

but even this thing went to the trouble of getting an appropriate wig

yeah. what I was trying to say was, when you try to rate or appreciate a thing, which is based on a previous work. you have to stop and say, is this good as an adaptation, or good as a solo work?

Sometimes you get something, that just totally misses the point of the original, but is still good. and it can be rough as a fan, to watch. you sit there and go, but, I wanted the original character, and their story. not this other thing, wearing its shell, even when its good.

So, looking at this, and saying, what if this was just some OTHER anime inspired tv show. didn't have the Bebop name. would this be good? and, my response was still, what the fuck did I just watch?

Faye's acting was awful.. trailer director definitely watch Sincity too many times. was that shit just for the trailer?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Sorry but this will be horribad just because all Netflix originals are written by people who are beyond retarded and dont understand a story is supposed to have acts that build and come to a resolution. I dont know why but they choose people who dont understand plot building, conflict and it how to resolve it. they fail at basic story all the damn time. its puzzling, like they are saying 'fuck the shit they teach in literature, I am gonna be the person to break the mold".

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I just don't fucking know what I saw. I like the idea of making it light-hearted and a bit silly, because cowboy bebop often was. Just gotta be willing to sprinkle in those nut punches. That schtick for the trailer was also kinda interesting. Both of those things make me think they get it... But then there was the fight scenes and them shooting guns and it felt like some highschool production. And some of that line delivery was horrible.

I'm gonna put this in the category of a witcher first take and stay optimistic. I got problems, but maybe they'll overcome them.

Cybsled

Like others mentioned, Jet came across as the best. But in a way his character is probably the easiest to pull off because he was always the grounded "adult in the room" in the anime.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

Not really what I wanted, but would be happy to be wrong.
Ok, the style is... different. I hope they don't do that wondering comic strip lines in the actual show. It was a gimmick for this preview, but should NOT be a part of the real deal. I'll still give the first episode a watch, but it's losing the interest the opening song video created,