DC Universe (Batman vs Superman thread).

Sterling

El Presidente
Can it possibly be worse than the Harley Quinn movie?
all things are possible GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Don't get me wrong, Birds of Prey was a pretty fucking terrible movie but it was not the worst movie ever made. It didn't insult it's audience for being it's audience like Pixels or The Last Jedi do, it wasn't as insanely stupid as Divergent, nor did it miss the entirety of it's original material like Robocop 2012.

This can be worse in ways we are not prepared for, think of all the effort being put into it. There is a type of bad movie that is only born from the amount of effort and talent to do anything but and I feel the Snyder Release may well achieve that level.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Don't get me wrong, Birds of Prey was a pretty fucking terrible movie but it was not the worst movie ever made. It didn't insult it's audience for being it's audience like Pixels or The Last Jedi do, it wasn't as insanely stupid as Divergent, nor did it miss the entirety of it's original material like Robocop 2012.

This can be worse in ways we are not prepared for, think of all the effort being put into it. There is a type of bad movie that is only born from the amount of effort and talent to do anything but and I feel the Snyder Release may well achieve that level.
Birds of Prey was the first comic movie I failed to finish watching. Justice League wasn't, well, good but at least I have seen the film already and unless Zack pulls a Nolan and runs it backwards ala Memento I cant see how it can be worse. Unless he added scenes with Leslie Jones .

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Birds of Prey was the first comic movie I failed to finish watching. Justice League wasn't, well, good but at least I have seen the film already and unless Zack pulls a Nolan and runs it backwards ala Memento I cant see how it can be worse. Unless he added scenes with Leslie Jones .
I haven't seen Justice League or Aquaman, noped out after Batman v Superman. I heard Aquaman was good but from the same people that say Wonder Woman was good and no, not it was not fucking good. It wasn't "bad" but it sure as shit ain't good.

I want the Snyder release to be good enough for the fans, and if it can't be that then I want it be one of the worst movies ever made.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I haven't seen Justice League or Aquaman, noped out after Batman v Superman. I heard Aquaman was good but from the same people that say Wonder Woman was good and no, not it was not fucking good. It wasn't "bad" but it sure as shit ain't good.

I want the Snyder release to be good enough for the fans, and if it can't be that then I want it be one of the worst movies ever made.
Speaking only for me, JL has some good elements. I like Batflack, I like Aquaman. I also enjoyed Godot as WW and Jeremy Irons as Alfred. It also has some real bad elements.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Robocop comics was Marvel!

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Speaking only for me, JL has some good elements. I like Batflack, I like Aquaman. I also enjoyed Godot as WW and Jeremy Irons as Alfred. It also has some real bad elements.

I don't get all the JL hate. It wasn't perfect, but its infinitely better than WW84 was. I found the antagonist to be terrible, 1 dimensional, and completely uninteresting. And a lot of the scenes in Russia were retarded and embarrassing. And Cyborg's acting was terrible. But other than that it was ok. I thought Aquaman rules, Batfleck absolutely fine, WW was winey about her dead lover, Flash was funny, unsure of himself. I liked that Flash is a pussy at first. Why is everyone who has magical powers all of a sudden not scared of anything? Batman coached him through it. Jeremy Irons was great. Oh big deal, there was some bad CGI on Superman's upper lip. JL was at least 10x better than WW84.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Justice League was terrible when we first watched it years ago after a great run of Marvel movies, it felt grim, dark, meandering, and misused most of the characters.

But after Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 84, Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Suicide Squad, etc I bet it probably is better on rewatch. Thats why I'm morbidly fascinated by the Zack Snyder cut, its gonna be amazing or an absolutely glorious trainwreck

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Aquaman is actually pretty decent. JL though is terrible aside from the action scenes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aquaman was a good, fun movie. It was a bit over the top but unlike most of the other DC movies it didn't act ashamed of being a comic book movie and that's probably the best thing about it. The worst thing about the movie was them shoehorning in Black Manta instead of leaving Orm as the antagonist and bringing Black Manta along later.

That has been the single biggest failing of the DCEU imo, their obsession with rushing things so they can 'catch up' with Marvel. Completely missing the fact that Marvel's slow buildup and solid foundation is what made the team-up movies so enjoyable. I'm sure in the next Aquaman movie they'll find some way to shoehorn Aqueerlad in on top of whatever the main plot is and butcher the character in the process.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I watched the extended edition of BvS last night. I still really enjoy this movie. First time watching the extended edition and it felt like a smoother movie. But 3 hours is too long. Letting Snyder blow the whole load using Death of Superman as the launching point for the Justice League was a dumb idea though. That should be their Endgame type movie to kick off a new phase or something.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Aquaman was a good, fun movie. It was a bit over the top but unlike most of the other DC movies it didn't act ashamed of being a comic book movie and that's probably the best thing about it. The worst thing about the movie was them shoehorning in Black Manta instead of leaving Orm as the antagonist and bringing Black Manta along later.
Yeah, if you wanted to sum up the difference between Aquaman and the Synder movies, it's that Synder pretty clearly approaches these movies from the viewpoint of, "I know, this comic book shit is stupid. Don't worry though, I'm going to fix it and make it mature and cool," while Aquaman was made from the viewpoint of, "I know, this comic book shit is stupid, and we're going to wallow in the stupid. It'll be awesome. Atlantean crab people!" And the result is a decently fun flick.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Aquaman and Shazzaam to an extent. it got muddled a bit with the mama drama, but it was still fun overall. looking forward to the Aquaman sequel and The Trench

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, I'm going on record as all you Justice League haters are overly critical.

TL;DR: Justice League is totally fine. It's not Avengers quality, but it's honestly fine. It's better than Avengers: Age of Ultron. Given the turd that WW84 was, I think if we all look at JL again we can see it's a completely fine movie.

Justice League by itself is a difficult movie to pull off: we have to cover the basics of a handful of super heroes, including Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman. We have to give enough background to make them interesting, but not enough to bore the audience. It's hard enough to introduce multiple characters, and then give us a bad guy that we care about, and then a plot. That's a lot for one movie to carry. ... Not to mention that the director's daughter committed suicide during post production, which led to them bringing in Joss Whedon to re-edit/finish the movie.

Plot: The plots is fine enough. It's established from the beginning. Batman discovers there are these three boxes, and these parademons, and knows he is dealing with something bigger than him and extra-terrestrial. He immediately decides to "assemble the team", and goes after the other members of the Justice League in an attempt to recruit them. Literally within five minutes of the movie starting, we have a defined plot, and know who the antagonist is. So we have a mission we have to accomplish. There isn't much, if any, meandering, and the plot never loses its course. It's always "recruit good guys, find boxes, fight bad guy." I actually liked the McGuffins where it is three boxes of power given to the three different species (humans, Amazonians, Atlantians)... boy, sure sounds like Lord of the Rings (humans, dwarves, elves.)

Batman: Batfleck was fucking fine. Yes, he used guns. He's not fighting the Penguin or any other human being. He's fighting paranormal demons from another world along with a bad guy that is four times his size and is a conquerer of worlds. He knows he is outclassed and is doing what he can to save the world he lives in. He reluctantly takes the role of leader, while wishing others (Wonder Woman, Superman) had the role. He's fine as Bruce Wayne and Batman. Yes he looks "heavy", but part of that is the style of his armor.

Flash: Flash was fine. Ezra Miller was funny and insecure in the role. Again, this was some nerdy kid who is into Japanese cartoons that gets his powers. He isn't some badass trained fighter. He's scared, he doesn't know what to do. He just has a skill that Batman is interested in and is trying his best to help. I truly enjoy the scene where the League encounters Steppenwolfe for the first time, and Batman coaches Flash with "Get in, get out, don't fight, just save one." And Flash learns from it. Flash also has some great slow motion scenes, for instance when Wonder Woman is fighting Steppenwolfe and drops her sword, and Flash runs down and pushes the sword back up towards her. I wish they didn't end that scene with him tripping, because it's ok for him to excel without comedic relief. He was completely fine in the entirety of the movie, with no complaints. Imagine you are Flash, and all of a sudden your thrust into this world where, at one point, you're taking on a newly resurrected Superman, and fucking Superman is taking a punch at you. How would you act?

Cyborg: His introduction / first half of the movie is bad. I wonder how much of this was the result of two directors? His initial scenes, acting, writing were really bad. But in the third act he's totally fine, he's funny, and enjoyable. However, I thought it was great writing for how he was tied into the story. He's born of a motherbox, and his dad is a scientist that works with the boxes. He gets dragged into the fight primarily because his father is kidnapped by Steppenwolfe who is looking for the boxes. It tied together nicely.

Aquaman: This is an alpha male, badass motherfucker. Momoa was fantastic. He looks insanely awesome, and he's such a "bro" that every line that comes out of his mouth is fun. "My man!" "All right!" I cracked up each line. And his scene where he's sitting on the Lasso of Truth was hilarious. His action sequences are fine, all around fantastic. The scenes in Atlantis when Steppenwolfe is stealing the stone, those were poorly done, and I'm glad they figured out underwater action / dialogue for the Aquaman movie.

Wonder Woman: Her opening scene is fantastic, and she's honestly great throughout this movie. She continues her role as a badass Amazonian warrior. She stands toe to toe with gods and conquerers without a second thought. She's fearless. She's beautiful. There's something about Gal Gadot where she is wholesome, lovely, and just so intoxicating that every scene with her on the screen is a treat. Her action scenes are fantastic and she looks great doing them. Her weak parts are her constantly lamenting for Steve Trevor. We get it, you miss him, it was 100 years ago, shut the fuck up.

Superman: He was totally fine. Yes his lip looked weird, are we really going to trash a movie based on that? It does suck that he's so overly powered, but he is the biggest badass in comic books, so what can we do? It was interesting when he was resurrected and was confused and fought his friends. I thought his acting was off then. I'm interested to see what happens in the Snyder cut with him, because he was barely in this movie.

Steppenwolfe: Terrible villain. One of the worst. As bad as Ultron was. He was uninteresting, looked like CGI from 15 years ago. By far the worst part of the movie.

In summary, this movie had its faults, with it being a mish-mash of two directors visions, some poor writing, a bad villain, but overall it was fine, fun, coherent, and linear. But it's absolutely not the giant turd that people make it out to be. Especially when compared to WW84. Please give this a re-watch!

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

That has been the single biggest failing of the DCEU imo, their obsession with rushing things so they can 'catch up' with Marvel. Completely missing the fact that Marvel's slow buildup and solid foundation is what made the team-up movies so enjoyable. I'm sure in the next Aquaman movie they'll find some way to shoehorn Aqueerlad in on top of whatever the main plot is and butcher the character in the process.
I don't read much DC comics, but the Kaldur Aqualad seems fine. At least from what I've seen on Young Justice.

Sterling

El Presidente
Take out the villain, anything with cyborg, most of the action sequences, and anything with extended dialogue and you have at least an average superhero movie!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

I'm waiting for Amber Heard to get her own spinoff. They could keep their record of making crappier everything than Marvel. She would be the alternate universe version of Cheese Theft.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Take out the villain, anything with cyborg, most of the action sequences, and anything with extended dialogue and you have at least an average superhero movie!
The actor that played Cyborg isn't coming back. He's mad that they didn't castrate Joss Whedon cuz he hurt his feelings.

• 1Like