Dealing with addiction

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Best way I've found to kill an addiction is to disrupt your normal routine. Ultimately addiction is one part reward/ritual, and one part boredom. If you can disrupt this familiar pattern, you increase your chance of kicking the habit. Leading up to my mother's death I developed a very nice chain smoking/drinking habit which persisted after her demise. I ended up taking a two week vacation to a secluded island resort that didn't sell smokes, and spent the time focusing on working out and other distracting activities. Without all the triggers I had at home that would make me reach for a cig, I found it relatively easy to avoid feeling the urge.. Without the smokes, my desire to drink went down as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I guess I owe an apology if this is serious thread.

I drink heavily probably twice a week but I'm pretty lucky in that I just chill, shitpost, play games and watch movies until I eventually get tired and go to bed. My wife is the same way. I never ever drink heavily in public (like when we go to a bar with friends) because I just don't feel safe being drunk not in my house or at a close friends house.

I've got buddies and a dad who drank himself to death that are sort of like you, they have a drink and it just makes them want be out and about while continuing to drink, which obviously leads to other bad choices like drugs and doing / say dumb shit. If you fall in this category you should probably get whatever help it takes to stop drinking and realize you're in the category of people who can't drink. Think if it like crones disease or something, can't eat certain things, cept for you it's booze.

I quit drinking because of the genetic link. My grandfather's entire male sibling group died between the ages of 40-42 from alcohol-related deaths. I never even met any of them(long dead by my birthdate). I used to be a crazy drunk and it was fun for a while but thankfully not too long. I never drank as hard as my father or them but I still enjoy alcohol. I just stay away. and my wife helps me stay away lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I quit drinking because of the genetic link. My grandfather's entire male sibling group died between the ages of 40-42 from alcohol-related deaths. I used to be a crazy drunk and it was fun for a while but thankfully not too long. I never drank as hard as my father or them but I still enjoy alcohol. I just stay away. and my wife helps me stay away lol.

Ya I cut back a little more every year. Down to 750ml (give or take a couple hundred ml) of bourbon a week. Beer / wine doesn't count. I'm not even in the same league as my dad, he was taking down 750ml+ a day.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ya I cut back a little more every year. Down to 750ml (give or take a couple hundred ml) of bourbon a week. Beer / wine doesn't count. I'm not even in the same league as my dad, he was taking down 750ml+ a day.

Lol, at give or take a couple hundred ml. I never liked wine that much but still like gin/vodka too much. I had a lot of bad, bad nights with bourbon and tequila and can't handle that shit without lots of chasers beforehand.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
That's about where I'm at. Morning coffee with two shots. Can easily do a full bottle of whiskey a day without noticing. Two or three bottles of wine etc. It's ridiculous but with only marginal obvious downsides (beside the obvious wasteland that is my internals), I just have no reason forcing me to stop. Upcoming Tussle of the Rustled is a good reason, but thats a problem for future Screamfeeder.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lol, at give or take a couple hundred ml. I never liked wine that much but still like gin/vodka too much. I had a lot of bad, bad nights with bourbon and tequila and can't handle that shit without lots of chasers beforehand.

lol sometimes a pint gets slipped into the grocery bag :smuggly:

I pretty much only drink bourbon. I might have 1 dirty martini if my wife it drinking em.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That's about where I'm at. Morning coffee with two shots. Can easily do a full bottle of whiskey a day without noticing. Two or three bottles of wine etc. It's ridiculous but with only marginal obvious downsides (beside the obvious wasteland that is my internals), I just have no reason forcing me to stop. Upcoming Tussle of the Rustled is a good reason, but thats a problem for future Screamfeeder.

Ya I really have no reason either other than the health implications and the hangers starting to get a little worse when I go full drunkard, which is why i'm slowly cutting back. My personality doesn't change an iota when I'm drinking so my wife doesn't really care. I may slur an odd word or have an extra stumble walking to the pisser but that's about it. May also rapid fire shitpost a bit more...

I've never drank in the morning but if I start at noonish I can easily get through a full bottle of bourbon by bedtime, especially if I have a decent sized meal in there.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Only sophomoric behavior in here is adults who can't fucking control themselves

Hey man, I know I have problem - that's why I made this thread asking for advice. Maybe this thread can help someone else too one day.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Well. My ex got me into cocaine. We have been broken up for a few years now. I think I'm still fucked up about it and stuck in this cycle where, "oh this time will be different", "what's the worst that can happen", "live a little", <insert excuse to use here>

I probably do need to talk to a professional. The most success I had with sobriety was in out-patient rehab in 2015. (2 months)

Thank you for the advice iannis iannis Screamfeeder Screamfeeder . I am coming down now which is probably why I'm feeling so emotional right now. I just hate feeling like this, but I never seem to remember the shitty times everytime I go and use. Sucks.

cocaine's really hard to kick.

There's no immediate downside to that drug besides for pawning your TV.

NA might help. Just finding a sponsor might be enough. It's a tough one.

That drug just makes you feel good. I'm legitimately afraid of cocaine and heroin. Two things that even when I was crazypills I never touched. And it wasn't widsom. It was fear.

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Admitting that you have a problem and need help is the beginning. Go to some meetings, every night if necessary, get a sponsor, and then you and your sponsor can evaluate whether you have to go to rehab. Residential rehab in NYC is probably going to be a retarded amount of money.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Only sophomoric behavior in here is adults who can't fucking control themselves
It's really easy to offer up that kind of platitude.

"Just stop!"
"Control yourself"

It's the same ignorant response you hear from people about depression.

"Just cheer up"

"Get over it"

One word for that kind of response. Sad.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's really easy to offer up that kind of platitude.

"Just stop!"
"Control yourself"

It's the same ignorant response you hear from people about depression.

"Just cheer up"

"Get over it"

One word for that kind of response. Sad.
Shut up drunk

• 3Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Admitting that you have a problem and need help is the beginning. Go to some meetings, every night if necessary, get a sponsor, and then you and your sponsor can evaluate whether you have to go to rehab. Residential rehab in NYC is probably going to be a retarded amount of money.

I know a guy that does meetings with one group or another every night. He says that's the only thing keeping him away from it.

Iannis, I am scared to death of those too. My sister thankfully showed me the bad side really young and I stayed away. Hell, I limited Mary J just because of her. I really don't know how she's still alive. The human body is amazing.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My buddies brother tried heroin for the first time a couple years ago. Hot shot, dead. I've tried coke a couple times and it wasn't really my thing, and I'd kinda like to try heroin once but never will cause of shit like that.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I never got the appeal of heroin. At least not injecting. Just made me sleep. Got a better high off whipits.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I never got the appeal of heroin. At least not injecting. Just made me sleep. Got a better high off whipits.

I'm still curious, but ya in movies and shit I never really understood the deal. You just shoot up and sorta pass out it looks like. Was kinda thinking maybe you're still awake feeling your high but just look like your comatose.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I'm still curious, but ya in movies and shit I never really understood the deal. You just shoot up and sorta pass out it looks like. Was kinda thinking maybe you're still awake feeling your high but just look like your comatose.
It is a high and most people don't actually pass out. They "retreat" into their head and body. But the CBA is way off. The down is too harsh, the high so high you can't appreciate it (or just sleep like i did). Honestly doing whipits was a better bang for the buck. I mean, don't do drugs kids, but if you are going to, at least make it worth your while.