Dealing with addiction

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I "struggle" a bunch. Like others have said I think its more about other things. Will drink a ton then just not stop, and stay up till 4 am watching youtube videos. Next thing I know I was drinking 9-10 hours and had 20 drinks.

Im tired of feeling shitty and realize most of the time its not the booze, its an escape.

Same with eating. Im having a horrible day at work and my mind goes two ways

1) Eat at Five Guys until my stomach hurts
2) Drink my face off.

Anything to escape the shit that I hate.

Its easy to avoid people who "bring you down" but realize its your own problem not theirs. I have a friend who blames our group for him being a drunk loser. No...We all have our own issues and he needs to own his. I realize its not my friends fault I drink 20 drinks until Im worthless for 2 days after, but I realize that hanging with them or going to happy hour 2 times a week is a trigger I need to avoid. Ill never be the Have 2 and quit guy,

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I did acid a few times in high school, and mushrooms twice. Out of those 5 times I had two truly remarkable trips, the other times were meh, didn't really work that great for whatever reason. If I had a source for medical grade hallucinogenics and knew I wouldn't get entrapped by law enforcement, I'd love to try that again too, especially with a developed non-highschool retard brain (ya ya debatable).
Mushroom spores are legal (in most states) to order online and setting up a small mushroom grow costs almost nothing and is pretty easy, they only become "illegal" once you harvest them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You guys need to respect the Grown Up Forum. Respond seriously or not at all. Consider this your warning.

This was in the general section when I made my first two posts re banana's and he hadn't elaborated yet. If you go down a little further you can see I apologized. Consider this your warning.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This was in the general section when I made my first two posts re banana's and he hadn't elaborated yet. If you go down a little further you can see I apologized. Consider this your warning.

This thread hasn't been moved according to the logs, it started here.

Glad you apologized, no moderator action was taken. Just reminding you guys that it's the grown up forum and don't be assholes. Even if it's the banana pic guy.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This thread hasn't been moved according to the logs, it started here.

Glad you apologized, no moderator action was taken. Just reminding you guys that it's the grown up forum and don't be assholes. Even if it's the banana pic guy.

@a_skeleton_03 moved it after his post I'm pretty sure

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Anything to escape the shit that I hate.

This. I am SURE there are some deeper issues to my addictions because I have no obvious ones. Raised fine. Grew up fine. Have a great life etc etc etc. But I just feel like I can't get by without being under the influence of something and those moments when I'm not, I'm thinking about how soon I can be. It literally makes zero sense. Did the shrink thing and basically got out of that that I "hate myself" for reasons unknown. Kind of frustrating. I think I'm awesome.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
@a_skeleton_03 moved it after his post I'm pretty sure

Well, that would be weird, since his actions show up in the mod logs just the same. If your posts were made when it was in general then my bad. It doesn't appear that way from here but what the fuck do I know.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This. I am SURE there are some deeper issues to my addictions because I have no obvious ones. Raised fine. Grew up fine. Have a great life etc etc etc. But I just feel like I can't get by without being under the influence of something and those moments when I'm not, I'm thinking about how soon I can be. It literally makes zero sense. Did the shrink thing and basically got out of that that I "hate myself" for reasons unknown. Kind of frustrating. I think I'm awesome.
I mean, there doesn't have to be anything negative psychologically to cause you to drink. Can just be a strong feedback loop that is reinforced for whatever reason, making it hard to stop.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I mean, there doesn't have to be anything negative psychologically to cause you to drink. Can just be a strong feedback loop that is reinforced for whatever reason, making it hard to stop.
That's what I just immediately assume. I like to be drunk, ergo I am drunk. But in researching addiction and seeing the exact same illogical patterns emerge from a myriad of different people with different experiences, you do have to wonder if there isn't just something "broken" and constantly seeking a fix.

Naw, time for my mid morning three-finger.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
That's what I just immediately assume. I like to be drunk, ergo I am drunk. But in researching addiction and seeing the exact same illogical patterns emerge from a myriad of different people with different experiences, you do have to wonder if there isn't just something "broken" and constantly seeking a fix.

Naw, time for my mid morning three-finger.
Considering you can chemically induce, say a gambling addiction, it can just be you are, genetically or epigenetically more prone to do activities that activate that part of the brain.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Considering you can chemically induce, say a gambling addiction, it can just be you are, genetically or epigenetically more prone to do activities that activate that part of the brain.
Yeah and both my parents were the same way. But again that just feels "easy" you know? That really does start to boil down to a solution being "lol just stop then", which as I said above is dumb.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah and both my parents were the same way. But again that just feels "easy" you know? That really does start to boil down to a solution being "lol just stop then", which as I said above is dumb.

Just stopping is easier or harder for each individual person depending on the substance/activity. Like alcohol is no problem to stop for me, I don't desire it at all. But for others it's a constant battle, hardest thing ever. Same for fatties with food I think. It's not fair to just tell them to eat less. Thats the obvious end goal but psychologically how to get them there is an individual struggle.

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's not though. Unless you have been a severe alcoholic for a couple decades, then just stopping may kill you.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It's not though. Unless you have been a severe alcoholic for a couple decades, then just stopping may kill you.
Lol. Since I was 19.

Sterling-20.gif

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
For what its worth Scream "I have a great life" doesnt mean much. Plenty of people with seemingly fine lives have deep seeded issues with depression and such.

My life is "Great". I make a good living, work in a job some would love. Married, baby. Have a house I like etc.

But in reality I am 33 going on 50, having passed up alot of experiences in my youth, married too young and have issues there that I cannot rectify, and would rather work at Best buy if it wasnt for the money. My peers are 20 years older than me. I have succeeded in life almost by chance...Im great at my job but fell into the career i nthe Military...never planned to be in IT, spent a bunch of GI bill on a teaching degree I never will finish.

Most people dont realize they are depressed, if that is the case. Or dont really know why.

I am sitting at my desk now, with no desire to be here, but no desire to go home. Just a general malaise I cant explain, and dont see how to fix it. Took me years to get to the point I could admit it.

Hope you are just chemical though. Not saying anything on your case either way, just tossing it out there to see if anything clicks.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I am sitting at my desk now, with no desire to be here, but no desire to go home. Just a general malaise I cant explain, and dont see how to fix it. Took me years to get to the point I could admit it.

Get a full hormone panel done.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Get a full hormone panel done.

Never heard of this, will read up. First page I hit seems to point this more at being middle aged without a working dick.

That said I have zero sex drive, snap a few out a week but would rather drink 12 beers and play xbox than have sex with my wife, or someone random on a hookup.

Had zoloft awhile and it doesnt do anything for my depression but it did help with anger and resentment buibbling over.

Sadly that came through my Physician. I definitely need to see a dedicated pro.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Never heard of this, will read up. First page I hit seems to point this more at being middle aged without a working dick.

That said I have zero sex drive, snap a few out a week but would rather drink 12 beers and play xbox than have sex with my wife, or someone random on a hookup.

Had zoloft awhile and it doesnt do anything for my depression but it did help with anger and resentment buibbling over.

Sadly that came through my Physician. I definitely need to see a dedicated pro.

Yea I'd get a full hormone panel done. What you're describing with lack of sex drive, general malaise, and lack of motivation in general sounds hormonal to me.

• 1Like