Dealing with addiction

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Jeez man, what was your alcohol daily cost? Just having that money back must be liberating

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
i had a booze calculator app, it was running me at 50-80 dollars a day, alcohol is taxed heavelly here.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
i had a booze calculator app, it was running me at 50-80 dollars a day, alcohol is taxed heavelly here.
That's nuts. My mom was a pain pill addict racking up several thousands in credit card debt (thanks for shipping to US without a prescription Canada) a month. All told she had a balance of like $30k before we really knew what she was doing.

Short aside but for months she was checking her email on her laptop nonstop. Like every 5 minutes. One day she needed me to fix something so I took it. I snooped because she was CLEARLY fucked up, and saw hundreds of emails from FedEx with tracking numbers. She was diverting the packages to the depot and picking them up. She tried to kill herself in the end and we figured she was just blowing the CC limit and feeling good until she ran out of runway.

Glad you aren't drinking anymore

• 1Solidarity

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
That's nuts. My mom was a pain pill addict racking up several thousands in credit card debt (thanks for shipping to US without a prescription Canada) a month. All told she had a balance of like $30k before we really knew what she was doing.

Short aside but for months she was checking her email on her laptop nonstop. Like every 5 minutes. One day she needed me to fix something so I took it. I snooped because she was CLEARLY fucked up, and saw hundreds of emails from FedEx with tracking numbers. She was diverting the packages to the depot and picking them up. She tried to kill herself in the end and we figured she was just blowing the CC limit and feeling good until she ran out of runway.

Glad you aren't drinking anymore

Addiction man, makes one do the shittiest of things, to flatter myself, i had a friend drive me 3 beers to the hospital while my ex was IN labor, and that aint the baddest thing. Addiction turns you into a zombie.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Addiction man, makes one do the shittiest of things, to flatter myself, i had a friend drive me 3 beers to the hospital while my ex was IN labor, and that aint the baddest thing. Addiction turns you into a zombie.

I have a ton of Norwegian pals from when I lived in Florida who came there every year for some skydiving events. All of them drank like they'd never drank before. Those that drank a lot even over there were deep in the homebrew/moonshine game to avoid taxes.

Beer is cheap to make. I used to make it also when I lived in FL and could easily give it away. Not sure what caused me to progress to having alcohol become a problem. I've been able to reign it all in with only drinking once a week and no more than three times a month and only at happy hours where I am invited and drink 2 or 3 (beer only) for like 1.5 hours then go home. Seems to be working well so far as I've not breached this in the past... well going on a year I guess

Just had to be hard and fast with my, "no exceptions" mindset. This is a something I personally dreamed up and I am not sure how else to word it. But like if you think of making an exception (to drink) kill it immediately. This has worked for other parts of my life and limited my procrastination in other areas too. Shame I didn't have the willpower to apply it sooner. IE, I'll make an exception to dick off instead of study something. Kill it and disregard the thought.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that's raw self disicpline.

It's the only defense against addiction. AA is based around that principle with community support. Because by the time you hit AA it's obvious to everyone, especially yourself, that self-discipline is not enough.

That comes easier to some people than others. Not to make excuses, I think that's biologically true. I honestly don't think alcoholics are just weak willed bitches.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
What about smoking ?
I mean, I smoke 20 cigs / day and I tried quitting. Will only gets me as far as 3 hours without a smoke. Then I start feeling a biological crave for nicotine and I am done, I have to smoke.

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Last edited:

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
What about smoking ?
I mean, I smoke 20 cigs / day and I tried quitting. Will only gets me as far as 3 hours without a smoke. Then I start feeling a biological crave for nicotine and I am done, I have to smoke.
Switch to vaping for your nicotine intake. That first week is rough, but as long as you change your routine you can do it. Just one week. Keep to your new routine for a month +. The last time I quit I used these every time I got the urge to smoke.
Tea Tree Therapy - Tea Tree & Menthol Toothpicks

Also brushing your teeth when your craving kicks in. Most importantly, devise a mantra to repeat in your head when you go through the first few days of cravings, or force yourself to go walk, or whatever to kill that craving. The mental game has to be rock solid.
I challenge you to do it. I'll help you if you need someone to keep you grounded the first week.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
For smoking replace addictions. Or use Chantix.

Use lozenges or gums, and begin to decrease your dosage over time with those. Keep your hands and mind busy. As soon as there's a lull, you'll reach for a habitual smoke.

The first two weeks are the hardest, because it's not just breaking the addiction it's breaking the habit of the addiction and it's redefining the mental state from "I want to stop smoking" into "I have stopped smoking".

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The thing that finally got me to stop smoking was dating a cancer survivor. I wonder if there's a website for that...

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dont use chantix if your bipolar or prone to mood swings and rage. Even depression can have bad side effects with it.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I switched to dip when I quit. They didn't have robot cigarettes yet. I dipped for about a year - the point at which I no longer thought about cigarettes at all - then just quit dipping. It was a million times easier than cigarettes for some reason, I just finished a can of dip and decided not to buy another and haven't used any tobacco since (almost 9 years).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The thing that finally got me to stop smoking was dating a cancer survivor. I wonder if there's a website for that...

I've been fighting cancer for three years and my GF just now started trying to quit smoking...

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been fighting cancer for three years and my GF just now started trying to quit smoking...
Sounds like cancer might not be the only thing you need to get rid of.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Smoking is a bastard to kick but I found that nicotine gum helps a ton at first. I'd find myself caving when I was drinking but then I just bought a cheap ecigarette to puff on when I'm in the pub to help stave off any bad decision making. Vaping is alright but I would just find myself wishing I was smoking.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Had it not been for snus, I would still be smoking. Quit after 10 years, ten years ago by this :

There still has not been any cases proved of it causing cancer, some vague studies put it in mouth cancer land, but nothing conclusive like you can say about sigs, they defo cause cancer.

So lesser evil and all that.