Dealing with addiction

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
Necromancy but honestly. I've drank every night to some degree for 3 months straight. I am.... Very very slowly losing control of it. I don't like where it is going. I know what to do I think but I don't know how to pull the trigger.

Screamfeeder Screamfeeder honestly what did you do?

Start smoking weed instead.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Necromancy but honestly. I've drank every night to some degree for 3 months straight. I am.... Very very slowly losing control of it. I don't like where it is going. I know what to do I think but I don't know how to pull the trigger.

I did start smoking weed. That wasn't all I did but it helped. I never could really stand weed either. I am a whiskey and cocaine kind of guy. But I went into a shop and chatted with a dude about the reasons why I didn't like weed and he gave me some shit that was different and it just worked.

You just need to not do it. It sounds so fucking stupid and cliche, but just don't have a drink, even if you REALLY want to. Your brain is going to convince you that its ok this time. You had a rough day and need to unwind, or maybe you had a great day and want to celebrate. Your brain is VERY good at convincing you that for one reason or another its fine to just have one (or another[might as well have 5 now right?]) and before you know it, it's another Tuesday with you passing out instead of going to sleep, and you need to just do something else. Anything. For a while I would do 20 pushups everytime I found myself NEEDING a drink. Then it was drinking a whole lot of water and tea. Then it was long walks with the dog and podcasts. Then all of the above and before you know it, I am in better shape, over a week with zero smoking, able to fuck like I did when I was 19 and sleeping like it as well.

No one persons thing is going to be your thing but I remember always telling myself that I would just stop drinking once it really impacted my life and it took about 5 years of it already impacting my life before I realized it.

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

What's your nightly average?

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
5 or 6 shots of whiskey maybe. I don't really keep track. Plus beer depending. Maybe 3 or 4

Standard size/strength shots/beers?

Even if it's the weak stuff tho, yeah, that's too much man.

But if stopping outright sounds too hard, cut out in or the other first as a transition.

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I was drinking two or three tallboys of Milwaukee's Best Ice every night leading up to when I got cancer. I don't think it was the direct cause, but I do think it worsened the cancer that would have developed anyway.

• 1Salty

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
For a solid 5-6 year span I drank basically every night. At first it was beer, then wine and I ended off with soda and Vodka. I never felt that I "over did it," since my average drink count per night was 3-4 glasses of whatever (maybe 4-5 cans when it was beer). I never passed/blacked out or did anything weird or stupid but I definitely got to the point where the thought of trying to go to bed without my drinks would cause me anxiety. The irony was that the fear of not being able to sleep was what kept me drinking but drinking was actually severely fucking up my sleep.

Anyway around 2 years ago I just decided that I would drink the rest of what I had in the house and then not go buy anymore. I knew insomnia would be an issue but decided that a few foggy days at work was nothing to be afraid of and I just embraced it. I stayed up until 3-4 am a couple of nights watching movies, gaming or working and had a couple shitty days at work but by the 4th night I'd say I was in bed by 8pm and got the best sleep of my life. Since then I've become very aware of alcohol's effect on my sleep (even at a single drink) and the thought of having a drag ass foggy day the next day is enough of a deterrent for me to just skip drinking altogether.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why is khorum khorum giving a salty to everything?

I don't drink everyday, but I do drink in almost every social situation. And I'm a very social person. It's pretty typical to stay in only two nights a week. I just started a new job and it's a nice mile walking commute each way and I think that's helped. When I had to commute via a train it was really easy to grab 2-3 drinks before I caught the train home with some coworkers. And then I would stop and meet friends once I got back to the city on the way home. And before I knew it I've been drinking for five hours and I gotta go to work the next day.

• 1Salty

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Why is khorum khorum giving a salty to everything?
He's using a script/macro to auto salt any post by certain users in certain areas. I get salties from him literally seconds after making numerous posts.

I'd say I was in bed by 8pm and got the best sleep of my life. Since then I've become very aware of alcohol's effect on my sleep (even at a single drink) and the thought of having a drag ass foggy day the next day is enough of a deterrent for me to just skip drinking altogether.
The better sleep has been a real acknowledgment that I was fucking my health up. It was the difference between "passing out" and actually falling asleep. I can go full day now on 6 hours of good, deep sleep whereas before it was barely functioning on 10 hours of being "passed out".

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT do you normally buy alcohol when you do grocery shooping?

What about stop buying alcohol when you go out shopping for groceries, make sure there is none in your home. At least add the extra step of having to get out of the house and go outside.

• 1Salty

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT do you normally buy alcohol when you do grocery shooping?

What about stop buying alcohol when you go out shopping for groceries, make sure there is none in your home. At least add the extra step of having to get out of the house and go outside.

Brother that was my strategy for years. It isn't like I am not aware of the issues I've had. I've been successful at not drinking or drinking extremely minimal amounts for years. But you get in this irrational loop. It is an insignificant problem to acquire liquor or beer.

I've kept it under control whenever it props up. But I also always want to stop. I don't drink enough to be drunk at work or hungover ever. But I still feel myself slowly drinking more than I should. I don't think I could totally stop drinking ever. I just don't know how I'd convince myself to do it. Screamfeeder Screamfeeder was wayyy more of a drunk than I have ever been. Just means he had wayyy more of an uphill battle than I have yet had. Something I do have respect for him for.

I seek to improve. I've been in a vicious cycle on it and when I get to these positions I seek help. However stupid that may be.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Been a bit since i posted. Proud say that after dieying in juli last year from a moonshine bender that lasted 4 weeks without water or food. My body shut down and in my blackoutness i managed to call the ambulance. All a blur from there until a couple of hour later when i'm walking out to have a smoke. What do i see, well i 0.5 liters of antibac. And yes i know i know, some of them are nasty, makes you puke up with addetives. I spent an hour reserching this perticular brand and all it contained was ethanol. Now a word of warning for all you would be warriors. 98 % OF ANTI BACS come with additives that might kill you or make you very sick. The bottle has to say ethanol, and only ethanol Do not fuck around with anything else. It's put there to make you sick and feel like shit so you dont drink it again.

Now if you are like me under a heavy bender, alkohol is alkohol. (although again, check the contents) And for the love of his Noodly appendage, mix it with alooot fo water. It makes the liquid
white and milky. DONT DRINK IT PURE. IT WILL MAKE A HOLE IN YOUR STOMACH SACK !!!! Shit tastes like its coming from a laboratory, but trust it's alcohol and it gets you fucked up.

And remember don't chug. This shit is 90% alcohol. You don't need much until you do, but start easy so you don't get ethanol poisoning. Take it piano. You will get there.

Down the hatch, i was thrown out for flirting with nurses and slept in a cave the next 4 days because of my nerves and anxiety. It took me 5 months to feel somewhat normal again. My nerves were shot, i didnt dare to go grocery shopping. Fuck opening the mail. I made this post as a harm reduction post incase someone is as desperate as me and starts drinking leftovers from the streets, i know for some that sounds disgusting, but when you get to choose between a granmal and cramps in your whole body that might kill you, the bootle in the streets sounds like an expensive brandy. Hepatit can't make you sick from another persons saliva unless both you and the person have an open mouth cut. It transmits via blood and sex.

Walking to the nearest hospital to get 5 liters of antiback.

I feel ok telling this because iv been on the wagon since juli/august, and Ijust got tired of beeing sick and tired. NO alcohol now and a few spliffs during the week. Mad adhd so cant watch movies, read, jerk off, surf one page ( i got 3 monitors and my head goesthru 3 articles at the time.

Good luck to all of you in the fray. I was a 16 tallboys and hard liquor on top of that every day guy. Breakfast was 6 tallboys before 7. I now alot about what is good to eat, was is good for the craving and i'll be glad to answer anything. Shoot me a tell if you wondering about something. And learned about good supplements for us alkis. They help alot since alcohol depletes the body of essential minerals.

One last tip from a seasoned dumdass. Please have in the back of your head that you need water. Force it in you, and don't go drinking the whole day without food. Now this might not happen right away, but if you keep this up, boozing with no food and minimal water your body will dehydrate and that combined with depletion of serotonin and dopamin. Combine this with low blood sugar, your nerves totally fucked up and fragile, bright light bothers you. You might feel a delirium tremens coming. And equally as worse, a total lockdown of your muscles and nerves. There has been cases of men breaking their arms because the cramps exibit supernatural power and you c a n n o t control it. So heavy painful cramps, combined with delirum tremens and a possible gran mal. Be careful and take precaution. Peace

My parting words. FUCK the 12 step program. It's so out of date and antiquated . It was written in the 50's The model is not optimal for a human in 2018. In 1948 maybe. But they gave them selves totally over to god. You are shit, powerless, will never be able to enjoy a beer for the rest of your life. You must see you are a slave to the substance and from now on, every waking minute you have to fight it. I fucking hate it. Was 2 times. 6 weeks each. I left when they asked me to find a higher power. It could be anything. My car, my PS3 if you dont belive in god. It's bullshit

Numbers dont lie. 30% drop out the first week. Out of those left. 23 % makes a recovery. Rest of them it's wasted on. Addiction is so personal, intervined with your personal traumas, childhood. 12 steps workers work in black or white. You take any form for medication. Even the slightest buzz, oh no your are a lost soul, no power over your affliction. It's such bullshit. /end rant

Be excellent to each other.

PS : Seems ppl think i still drink. Have not for almost a year now.

Last edited:
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Been a bit since i posted. Proud say that after dieying in juli last year from a moonshine bender that lasted 4 weeks without water or food. My body shut down and in my blackoutness i managed to call the ambulance. All a blur from there until a couple of hour later when i'm walking out to have a smoke. What do i see, well i 0.5 liters of antibac. And yes i know i know, some of them are nasty, makes you puke up with addetives. I spent an hour reserching this perticular brand and all it contained was ethanol. Now a word of warning for all you would be warriors. 98 % OF ANTI BACS come with additives that might kill you or make you very sick. The bottle has to say ethanol, and only ethanol Do not fuck around with anything else. It's put there to make you sick and feel like shit so you dont drink it again.

Now if you are like me under a heavy bender, alkohol is alkohol. (although again, check the contents) And for the love of his Noodly appendage, mix it with alooot fo water. It makes the liquid
white and milky. DONT DRINK IT PURE. IT WILL MAKE A HOLE IN YOUR STOMACH SACK !!!! Shit tastes like its coming from a laboratory, but trust it's alcohol and it gets you fucked up.

And remember don't chug. This shit is 90% alcohol. You don't need much until you do, but start easy so you don't get ethanol poisoning. Take it piano. You will get there.

Down the hatch, i was thrown out for flirting with nurses and slept in a cave the next 4 days because of my nerves and anxiety. It took me 5 months to feel somewhat normal again. My nerves were shot, i didnt dare to go grocery shopping. Fuck opening the mail. I made this post as a harm reduction post incase someone is as desperate as me and starts drinking leftovers from the streets, i know for some that sounds disgusting, but when you get to choose between a granmal and cramps in your whole body that might kill you, the bootle in the streets sounds like an expensive brandy. Hepatit can't make you sick from another persons saliva unless both you and the person have an open mouth cut. It transmits via blood and sex.

Walking to the nearest hospital to get 5 liters of antiback.

I feel ok telling this because iv been on the wagon since juli/august, and Ijust got tired of beeing sick and tired. NO alcohol now and a few spliffs during the week. Mad adhd so cant watch movies, read, jerk off, surf one page ( i got 3 monitors and my head goesthru 3 articles at the time.

Good luck to all of you in the fray. I was a 16 tallboys and hard liquor on top of that every day guy. Breakfast was 6 tallboys before 7. I now alot about what is good to eat, was is good for the craving and i'll be glad to answer anything. Shoot me a tell if you wondering about something. And learned about good supplements for us alkis. They help alot since alcohol depletes the body of essential minerals.

One last tip from a season dumdass. Please have in the back of your head that you need water. Force it in you, and don't go drinking the whole day without food. Now this might not happen right away, but if you keep this up, boozing with no food and minimal water you body will dehydrate and that combined with depletion of serotonin and dopamin. COmbine this with low blood sugar, your nerves totally fucked up and fragile, bright light bother you. You might feel a delirium tremens coming. And equally as worse, a total lockdown of you muscles and nerves. There has been cases of men breaking their arms because the cramps exibit supernatural power and you c a n n o t control it. So heavy painful cramp, combined with delirum tremens and a possible gran mal. Be careful and take precaution. Peace

My parting words. FUCK the 12 step program. It's so out of date and antiquated . It was written in the 50's The model is not optimal for a human in 2018. In 1948 maybe. But they gave them selves totally over to god. You are shit, powerless, will never be able to enjoy a beer for the rest of your life. Your must see you are a slave to the substance and from now on, every waking minute you have to fight it. I fucking hate it. Was 2 times. 6 weeks each. I left when they asked me to find a higher power. It could be anything. My car, my PS3 if you dont belive in god. It's bullshit

NUmbers dont lie. 30% drop out the first week. Out of those left. 23 % makes a recovery. Rest of them it's wasted on. Addiction is so personal, intervined with your personal traumas, childhood. 12 steps workers work in black or white. You take any form for medication. Even the slightest buzz, oh no your are a lost sold, no power over your affliction. It's such bullshit. /end rant

Be excellent to each other.

You sound like one of my dead uncles.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Always great getting the assholes who are detoxing off of drugs or alcohol in the ER. We put the largest IV we can (14 or 16g) because the fuckers are annoying as hell. Then they get 4 point behavioral restrained with a B52 (Benadryl, Haldol, and Ativan) or Geodon, because HEY, most of the time the people who come into the ER are mean drunks. And of course a lot of times, we have to jam a nasopharyngeal airway device to protect the airway.

For the addicts who come to the ER, just know that if you hit a medical worker, it's a felony.

TL;DR: Quit drinking heavily. Go get help.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I'm a big fan of the ol' "If you don't give me Percocet and Xanax, I'll have to do heroin. You're going to make me do heroin" chestnut.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Always great getting the assholes who are detoxing off of drugs or alcohol in the ER. We put the largest IV we can (14 or 16g) because the fuckers are annoying as hell. Then they get 4 point behavioral restrained with a B52 (Benadryl, Haldol, and Ativan) or Geodon, because HEY, most of the time the people who come into the ER are mean drunks. And of course a lot of times, we have to jam a nasopharyngeal airway device to protect the airway.

For the addicts who come to the ER, just know that if you hit a medical worker, it's a felony.

I wish it were true in all states...

ED workers are exposed to the highest level of occupational violence of any that I know. I WISH it were true that abusive patients got arrested. They do not in a preponderance of the cases in the state(s) I work.

The best we get is an occasional "bench warrant" (once for a patient who broke 17 bones in a female, health care provider's face by repeatedly punching her while holding her head).

Mostly we are told it is a "behavioral health issue" or a "medical issue."

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>

So maybe about 5-6 years ago I was visiting friends in NYC and we went out for a full-tilt night. 4 dudes just crushing probably $1,000.00 in coke, booze and weed in a few hours. At around 4am we were walking back to my friends place and I started feeling REALLY sick. Tight painful stomach lurches, super dizzy and weak. My friends roommate was an ER nurse and so when we finally got back to his place, we woke her up worried that I was dying. She was visibly pissed off (I assume this was a rare moment of her getting good sleep) and after checking me out for about 1 minute she said in the most serious, deadpan, exhausted nurse voice.

"You're hungry dumbass."

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I wish it were true in all states...

ED workers are exposed to the highest level of occupational violence of any that I know. I WISH it were true that abusive patients got arrested. They do not in a preponderance of the cases in the state(s) I work.

I've heard that it's (unfortunately) different state to state. I know in California it IS a felony, it's just that it has become a common thing and management often does not want us to call the police. Yes, call the police in the ED when we have security. Some of our security are grandpa aged and walk fucking slow. I know trauma centers with high gang violence (South Sacramento, Highland, and SFGH) we get the actual POH-leace there.