Dealing with addiction

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Nope it has always been here. I tend to not move any threads. The missing brother thread I suggested be moved by Amod but they did not and I left it. Maybe you are thinking of that one.

My mistake then. I'm a retard.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You need to stop smoking that shit. You've come to the right thread.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Back on topic. A pint of bourbon and two 22s of Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere last night. I have some regrets this morning.

Think i'm going to make an effort to cut down to one pint a week.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Another 28 year old found dead on the sidewalk after ODing in a local heroin den and being dragged out onto a strangers sidewalk like trash

Opiate epidemic gonna epidemic

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I just can't have one drink, so back on the path for me. Day 2 sober, here we go.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Sometimes that's the only solution. Good luck.

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider
Start taking an inventory of when you do your drug of choice, ask why your'e doing it, how are you feeling, who are the people you are with. Don't be afraid to write it down you don't have to share it with anyone but yourself. Key is to start to understand the things that are going on with you at the time. These are usually the under laying issues of your'e addiction you need to address. Understanding these triggers will help a lot in abstaining and let you know to direct your energy into another activity besides feeding the addiction.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I don't drink often and I don't like drugs. Stop hanging out with users. Stay clean for at least twelve months then attempt having a drink. If you fall back to your old ways then you have a real problem and you will likely need to abstain from everything for the rest of your life. If you're serious about taking care of yourself then apply some will power for starters.

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I had propfol this morning for a procedure, no idea how you guys like this shit, I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
@zzeris Exactly. I went to a comedy show in Brooklyn which just so happened to be held in a fucking distillery. Cue the "oh let's have one drink", fast forward to running around midtown coked up doing crazy shit.

The hardest part on staying sober is feeling like I can't do anything because everything in this fucking city, fuck that, everywhere seems to revolve around drinking. This is my struggle.

Suck it the fuck up and tell yourself no to one drink. This is coming from the guy who spent the last 6 out of 8 years "a little tipsy" and spent excessively on alcohol and a good time. Cue going to Asia to drink lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I had propfol this morning for a procedure, no idea how you guys like this shit, I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Well, propofol is supposed to knock your ass out like that. I've never really understood pills. I've known guys hooked on vicodin or codone. Always makes me angry. Not the guys, the pills themselves. I just get irritable and angry. I can't understand getting addicted to them.

But that's one reason we have so many slight variations of pill. Different people will react differently. Sometimes very differently.

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
First time poster, long time reader (circa. EQ 1999, played Povar / CT). Hell, followed FOH for a long time, Triton as well - where on earth did Tigole recede to?

LulzSect LulzSect

tldr of my experience; First drunk @18, first drug @22 was ecstasy, smoked weed on the same evening. Continued ecstasy/weed usage throughout my mid-20s, combine with hallucinogens (good ole hippy-flip = MDMA+Mush). Alcohol played a significant factor during this time. Girlfriend of the time got me into coke - fuck like a rockstar by night, death by day with the comedown. Coke became paramount, no longer spontaneous. After a few wake up calls - I had to turn life around and rejoin reality.

Substances were an escape, although I did not know it at the time, I've later identified many of my "escapes." For me, and maybe a few people can relate, but on-line gaming was/is my drug, especially MMORPGs. Fuck, I don't even play to enjoy, I just power game hard, grinding shit for no fucking reason. Later in life, I finally discovered/acknowledged/accepted that my trauma/pain that I avoid is rooted in some fucked up self-worth fear-base of not being acceptance of myself and/or by others.

Anything to escape the shit that I hate.

I feel that Gunnar's quote is the beginning to your dilemma. What are you trying to escape?

From working with oppressed/marginalized people who are deeply embedded in substance abuse, I have learned that these "broken" individuals are in some way avoiding the pain they have endured throughout their lives. Pain is a subjective, as it holds different meaning for different people, however the pain (psychological, emotional, physical) you may have experienced, witnessed or even received as a by-standard has an effect.

Gunnar's quote essentially is highlighting trauma and our natural tendency to avoid it (fight or flight basic knowledge).

If you look deeply into anyone's life, addiction is there, it doesn't have to be a drug. You are most likely being triggered to use, not valuing yourself, gaining acceptance with friends. Yes, alcohol is probably the precursor that leads to the coke usage, however using coke also connects you to a situation, people and gaining that false confidence.

Cocaine is technically a psychological addiction, not chemical - with enough use and continued use, it could lead to a chemical or physical dependence. You can do the whole get rid of the negative influences, move, join a group - I'd suggest seeing a counsellor that focuses on CBT with a direct understanding of the addict brain. If you read - find the books by Gabor Mate, in particular the title "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts."

Btw, from reading your posts, you aren't all that fucked up and you got a shit ton of support even from those who end up in the Shaw quite often (hilarious to non-extent). Finding support is key to any form of recovery.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
mtnhmr mtnhmr

Your experience closely mirrors my own. Thank you for sharing.

Growing up I was pretty addicted to video games. (Hello EverQuest?) I was sort of a late social bloomer. Didn't have my first drink until 19. Weed, around 22. I was always scandalized by coke until my ex introduced me to it at 30. I think the psychological angle is possibly true in my case. I didn't stick around long enough during my out-patient stint/therapy to get to the bottom of my issues though.

I am financially unable to see a professional at this time, though I will continue posting here and considering all advice.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
LulzSect LulzSect

Okay Gang. So my family has a powerful strong history of alcoholism on the male side. My uncle arguably died of it back in 1992 and my father/grandfather are simply too physically resilient to have been killed by it directly.

That being said. I don't drink a lot for a variety of reasons and the aforementioned family history bit is honestly one of the lesser reasons. I craft beer at home and don't drink it fast enough but I enjoy the hobby. I drink some whiskey here and there but don't keep it in the house. I do not really do any drugs these days and always hated marijuana. I liked LSD and Shrooms a bit in my early 20's. Nothing too crazy as I am much more of a, "lets get drunk and do shit bitches!" kind of person over a, "lets get high and sit at home" kind of person. But I really make a lot of effort to not start drinking because I can never have just one. Not ever. It is easier to not have one at all than, "just have one" and end up on a wild night of insanity that I really didn't want to do.

Much like you bro, I can be a completely different person when drinking. I am generally pretty asocial and spend my free time doing shit on my own. Reading, hobbies, video games, endurance sports, etc. But when I start drinking in certain situations. I have zero shame, no filter of any kind, total asshole and highly confrontational (intentionally fuck with people until they want to fight) all because these things amuse me but only when drinking.

Normal people dislike nearly all of this behavior a lot obviously and that kind of has a lot to do with where I grew up. Where getting drunk and fighting was prime entertainment. But I digress. Because of that, I organize my life around not being in situations where I will be drinking. Luckily my side-job hobby keeps me around a sport that is full of equally crazy people who do tolerate it.

Then I end up going on long weekend total adrenaline fueled benders a couple times of year and I get it all out of my system. Works out well, at least for me.

• 2Solidarity

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
2x 16 hour days on set followed by massive binges at the bar. Nothing to do today but hair of the dog it. Started at 7am today. Actually turned down coke last night because I wanted to sleep and knew it would turn into some mistakes. Go me I guess.

Big event tonight in Beverly Hills for a friends premier. I am not going to be so hot tomorrow. xoxo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Wanted to drop in and say LulzSect LulzSect been doing a great job layin off that coke.

Miss you in late night discord crew tho.

Guess your alcohol thing leads to the coke and it's a double whammy thing, but good job tho.

You are comin up on 1 week soon, this is when you gotta stay strong my dude. Make it one more nawmean.

• 2Solidarity

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I was avoiding this thread yesterday because I got invited to an open bar DJ party tonight and was going to go. I woke up today and really thought about it and decided that I am not going to go. This is the part where sobriety sucks, knowing I have to avoid this event because of what it will lead too.

• 2Solidarity

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I was avoiding this thread yesterday because I got invited to an open bar DJ party tonight and was going to go. I woke up today and really thought about it and decided that I am not going to go. This is the part where sobriety sucks, knowing I have to avoid this event because of what it will lead too.
Well for what it's worth I managed to keep the drinking down to a few beers and some tequila shots. Turned down the after party and coke in part thanks to this thread and solidarity with Lulz. My buddy ended up getting thrown out a few hours later.

Now I am watching the stupid anime that your sig and avatar are from. This shit is dumb as all hell.

• 2Solidarity