Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any word on Pure Moonlightstone? I'm definitely playing BBS as my first build, but getting the offhand Moon Uchi to +5 was always a crapshoot unless you save scummed the crystal lizards. Should be interesting to see if I can still beat all of world 5 having only done 1-1 and a tiny bit of 4-1 (crescent falchion) beforehand.

Crystal lizards respawn like regular enemies now (pretty sure they didn't before) so all ore-collecting is much faster than I remember. Bosses can drop Pure stones and I believe I got 3 different ones from that on my first run through of the game.

World 5 was easy for me the first time, but now on NG+ it's giving me way more difficulty than any other world. Bogs that keep you from rolling while the enemies have full mobility are pretty fucking obnoxious.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
World 5 was easy for me the first time, but now on NG+ it's giving me way more difficulty than any other world. Bogs that keep you from rolling while the enemies have full mobility are pretty fucking obnoxious.
The new Sodden Ring doesn't help with that?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Don't have any of the new rings yet. They're basically all I have left to do besides the two character tendency rings and NG++ spell cleanup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think I rank this as my number 2 Souls game under DS1. I did love the original but it felt very clunky even back in the day. I think the remake does a great job of removing that clunkiness without sacrificing the spirit of the game.

I still want to do a few more runs to compare since I have done DS1 like 15 times.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I love this game. I liked it on PS3, but the resolution/framerates/2 minute+ loads really hurt the game.

It does feel a lot easier now with 60fps and instant load times, but fuck it, I don't care.

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just cheesed the spider with my bow and arrow lol. Almost had him melee too the first time. Got oiled right at the last second.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Where'd you guys farm the Gold Coin? I'm closing in on the plat and need one for one of the rings. I'm farming the Fat Official in Yuria's Tower but I'm wondering if there's a better one that's closer to an archstone.

Edit: This thing ain't dropping

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think I rank this as my number 2 Souls game under DS1. I did love the original but it felt very clunky even back in the day. I think the remake does a great job of removing that clunkiness without sacrificing the spirit of the game.

I still want to do a few more runs to compare since I have done DS1 like 15 times.

I'd rank the first Dark at #1 in terms of world design and gameplay, with this second and Dark 2 a distant third. Dark 2 felt more like a B-Team production (which it was, IIRC)

If Bloodborne counts as a Souls game I'd put it between Dark and this, just a shade under Dark.

Haven't played Dark 3 yet, saving it since it's my last opportunity to experience a Souls game for the first time.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Have DS3 as easily #1. The combat just feels so much more fluid than the other games and the bosses by far the most epic. Darkeater Midir is a damn masterpiece

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
DS3 feels overproduced to me. It felt like every room and hall had 3-8 enemies.

I haven’t played it since I beat I the first time but I would say 3 is my least favorite souls game. My list is probably:

DS1
DeSR
BB
DS2
DS3
Sekiro (if we count it as this category it’s the worst imo)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
DkS 1 would have been a lot better if fast travel was unlocked earlier (and to more bonfires).

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I hope they patch that luck thing or you know trolls will use it and then invade people all day long.
I think you only invade people close to you in soul level, like within 10%+/-? So it would only be people who had also done it, or were a ridiculously high level themselves

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DS3 feels overproduced to me. It felt like every room and hall had 3-8 enemies.

I haven’t played it since I beat I the first time but I would say 3 is my least favorite souls game. My list is probably:

DS1
DeSR
BB
DS2
DS3
Sekiro (if we count it as this category it’s the worst imo)

Yeah I tried Sekiro and couldn't get into it because of how different it was. I like the Souls games where you have a range of options/weapons to deal with situations and Sekiro felt one-dimensional in comparison (get good at parrying, that's your option).

IMO Nioh is more of a Souls game even though it was made by a different company. That one is damn good from what I've played. No clue about Nioh 2.

Edit: I'm pretty close to getting 100% in this (missing six rings and a couple needed boss souls). Man, I can feel the powah. Still haven't gotten a damn Gold Coin though.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was about to go buy Nioh and play it next while I'm on a Souls kick, since it's $6 right now. Noticed the complete edition is $24 (digital only) and wasn't sure whether to get it instead. However my dilemma was answered for me, because it looks like there's a PS5 remaster of Nioh+Nioh 2+all expansions on the way in February. That's huge news for Souls fans, surprised I didn't hear about it sooner. I'll skip buying it for now.

Szlia

I have not played it, but it should be noted that some Souls fans consider Nioh to be trash tier, with Nioh 2 being better but not great. As I understand it, the problem with Nioh is that the difficulty is extremely cheap while in Souls game the difficulty is pretty fair.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sekiro is far more like Ninja Gaiden than Nioh is. Nioh's just a Souls-like game with a Diablo-style loot system.

I definitely wouldn't say Nioh or Nioh 2 are 'cheap' either. If anything it's the opposite; they start out fairly difficult but once you get a proper set of gear and skills you're basically unstoppable. Biggest flaw of Nioh is the gear system and how it makes you sort through piles upon piles of shit to find that one item that's actually useful. Nioh 2's biggest flaw is that they fixed most of that when it was released and then brought back the worst 'features' (and some new ones) for the DLC expansions.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Nioh felt a lot more grindy and rng to me than any of the souls titles. I ended up giving up on the first Nioh right after beating the frog boss out of boredom rather than frustration. Haven't tried 2 yet but will probably give it a go if I see it super cheap someday.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I really loved Nioh at first but by mid to late game I disliked it because it became more diablo and less dark souls. I dislike Sekiro because it’s got almost no RPG elements at all. I really love games where I can level up, invest in stats, craft gear etc.