Depression

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Toss stuff. Easier to deal with later if things go totally to shit.
Don’t be a tosser. I’ll see myself out :D
But yeah, much easier. Just cleaned out my childhood stuff from dads garage. Much relief. Also moldy teddies and old drawings suck. Meh.
Sun is finally up once I hit the highway for work. Izzz naaaaice.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Toss stuff. Easier to deal with later if things go totally to shit.

Last time I moved I tossed tons of stuff. It sure as hell made the move easier and it gave me the feeling that I had partially reset my life. It made it a little easier to make some needed changes.

• 3Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I am depressed as shit... I think... I tried seeing a psychiatrist... she gave me some stuff... didn't work... went back another time... now I'm on Prozac for like 5 weeks now... I feel worse than ever.
Trying drugs which I wasn't comfortable at all to begin with... and having no results is really driving me down.
Not really sure where it goes from here.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I am depressed as shit... I think... I tried seeing a psychiatrist... she gave me some stuff... didn't work... went back another time... now I'm on Prozac for like 5 weeks now... I feel worse than ever.
Trying drugs which I wasn't comfortable at all to begin with... and having no results is really driving me down.
Been dealing with it for years. Easier said than done on all this I know, but...Get out of the house for the day. During my worst periods I would just set a plan of heading to some place interesting a few hours away just to have a mission in the morning. I was able to string quite a few interesting days out together during my worst times to break it a little bit. In my experience the worst thing is to just be at home sitting in it. It won't fix everything, but it does help on the worst days.

• 3Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Might take a while for the Prozac to kick in, don't stop taking it until you've spoken to the prescriber. Could be that in a couple of weeks it'll help, could not work at all - It took 2-3 months for one person I knew, the difference was night and day once it kicked in and it really works for her.

Keeping busy, getting out and about, exercising regularly, talking things through, sleeping and eating well help.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Make use of the shrink if you are going that route. Just make sure you figure out what's going on in your head for yourself no matter which way you do it. Finding out why you are feeling XXX way or YYY way at the root is always top priority if you intend to fix it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sindaael

<Banned>
I'm not often depressed. It's been a long time. Intelligence keeps depression away. I almost forgot a long time ago I was actually depressed. The time I wasn't introduced to intelligence.

• 1Seriously?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
First time on antidepressants?

It can be a shit show trying to find one that works and even then it can take weeks or months for it to kick in.. 5 weeks I’d think you’d notice something. It’s kind of trial and error as to which work.

Have you considered talk therapy? Sounds cheesy but it works. That’d be my first approach and then doing meds but I’d definitely do both together.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I tried prozac when my shit first went downhill. I did not like it at all. I can see why they always mention possible suicide as a side effect. Then I took pamelor for a long time since it was also supposed to help never pain. I got off because I couldn't tell it did anything.

I have cymbalta which I haven't started yet, also supposed to help depression and nerve pain.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Any input on what might be best for wife to try etc, not a field im any good with.
Short version is wife is realizing she shortly may need to start coming to terms with being unable to have a kid and knows she probably will not be able to hold it well. Already here and there becomes a sobbing wreck as she's dealt with processes/ treatment.

Like 15 years ago I know she's tried one pill, not sure for how long but she hated it after the fact because she said it made her so bulb she didn't care about anything whatsoever completely apathetic to even good.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Try therapy before pills. Always. And tell any shrink that tries to get her on pills on the first visit to get fucked.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Any input on what might be best for wife to try etc, not a field im any good with.
Short version is wife is realizing she shortly may need to start coming to terms with being unable to have a kid and knows she probably will not be able to hold it well. Already here and there becomes a sobbing wreck as she's dealt with processes/ treatment.

Like 15 years ago I know she's tried one pill, not sure for how long but she hated it after the fact because she said it made her so bulb she didn't care about anything whatsoever completely apathetic to even good.

Don't.

Sad is not depression. Not having kids is sad...but it's not depression. Depression is chemical imbalance. Fucking with brain chemistry is tricky business that can end well, but it can be a very long slog to find something that works. In the meantime, you are left with sometimes absolutely crazy side effects and are definitely not "yourself."

Anti-depressants probably accelerated the demise of my marriage by a factor of 5. It was insanely quick once we started going down that road. We didn't need drugs, we just needed to get out of the situation. Not having a biological child sucks, but any child that calls you "mom" is yours, regardless of genetics.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have ups and downs but after a 3 week of worst depression ever I decided to Try SSRIs for a few months two different kinds. First one made my anxiety go through the roof, like border line panic attack few hours after taking it then just amped couldn't sleep. Went off it after 19 days. The second one worked great, at least I think it did. I was level but killed my motivation to do anything so after a month I stopped. I am back to nothing and between on the meds and off I prefer off.
Off I feel shitty but I chase the high of exercise and things I like to not feel shitty, on I was just meh on the couch.

Should I try to get use to life on them and stay level or keep doing what works most of the time and risk another dive down the well?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

So hit or miss man. Depends on the person. You need a psychiatrist to evaluate her symptoms and see which category of antidepressants may fit best and then play Russian roulette with one of 4-10 options in that category. What works for someone on this forum by no means will guarantee it also working for her.

EDIT - also try talk therapy first. Should always be your first line of defense. Even if she does the drugs she should do talk therapy regardless.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have ups and downs but after a 3 week of worst depression ever I decided to Try SSRIs for a few months two different kinds. First one made my anxiety go through the roof, like border line panic attack few hours after taking it then just amped couldn't sleep. Went off it after 19 days. The second one worked great, at least I think it did. I was level but killed my motivation to do anything so after a month I stopped. I am back to nothing and between on the meds and off I prefer off.
Off I feel shitty but I chase the high of exercise and things I like to not feel shitty, on I was just meh on the couch.

Should I try to get use to life on them and stay level or keep doing what works most of the time and risk another dive down the well?
Tried talk therapy? I’d do talk therapy +’exercise + nutrition first. Life won’t magically get better on antidepressants. It may improve maybe a lot. You also may get side effects and also the efficacy of the med may wear off after a period and you may have to cycle to a different antidepressant.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well I learned my depression is from lack of intelligence. Not due to a multitude of medical problems that even the Mayo clinic can't nail down. That's a relief I guess.

Go ahead and laugh but my mental ability has taken a serious hit. Dad gave me a little shit job he picked up and nothing. Shit I could do standing on my head while in the truck on the way from the jobsite, nothing. My life now on a good day getting to walk out on the porch. No sun as 5 minutes in the sun will literally break me down. SPF 50 to walk to the mailbox.

sindaael

<Banned>
This invega is seriously the worst medication ever. It stands for violence. I liked risperdal and geodon better. Like it makes a god damn difference now. Getting fucked over hardcore. I also took haldol for a while. It was a backwards medication.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

There are things you can do to help when you're off. One of them is figure out what helps your depression. I actually had a really good therapist that was asking me questions that only I could answer and letting me lead myself to the solutions. There are things that help. For me, my brain feels "fuzzy" when I get depressed. It's a straight up chemical imbalance that I can feel now that I pay attention to it. Sleeping helps it. So I know when I start feeling that, go take a nap.

Interacting with people helps it too. It's real easy when you get depressed to just wallow in your own hole and not want to interact with anyone. Forcing myself to do that helps out too. There's a few other things, but you get the idea. You really need to pay attention to patterns and see what's going on. What's causing things, what helps it. Once you get that down, you can start the process of controlling it and managing it yourself so you can hopefully not get sucked down the drain every time it shows up.

• 1Solidarity

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I've changed my medication (aka drugs) I've even let myself get excited about exercise and shit for a while.... but right back to where I've been.
I don't know what awaits me... I'm going to look for a second opinion... but I feel like I am at the end as far as myself.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well I learned my depression is from lack of intelligence. Not due to a multitude of medical problems that even the Mayo clinic can't nail down. That's a relief I guess.

Go ahead and laugh but my mental ability has taken a serious hit. Dad gave me a little shit job he picked up and nothing. Shit I could do standing on my head while in the truck on the way from the jobsite, nothing. My life now on a good day getting to walk out on the porch. No sun as 5 minutes in the sun will literally break me down. SPF 50 to walk to the mailbox.

Would you say you eat too much sugary foods? If so, stop, immediately. I learned a cpl years ago (or so) that one of the most depressing things for my general mood is sugar. Soda, candy bars especially. It was a feedback loop for me, eat candy, feel like shit, eat more candy to not feel like shit, feel like shit for longer, repeat. It wasn't until my mood completely tanked severely for no reason other than I ate a candy bar one afternoon and I finally made the connection. I rarely drink soda anymore and if I eat any candy it's like half a bar once every couple days or so.