Depression

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Losing the battle hard this week, just letting yall know I don't just post the wins. Not my worst by a long shot but when you been doing good the downs feel even worse.

• 10Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Those are the weeks where having meditation skills help a lot. The simple exercise of emptying your mind immediately disperses the anxiety and will reset your perspective when you get sucked into whatever shitty shit is shitting up your life at the moment. Relax, reflect, refocus. Whatever has happened you are still only you. When you get too wrapped up in the shit you will stop reacting well and will lose sight of a lot of the tools and options that are available to you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Could it be just a light problem, if you live up north we're getting to the point where there isn't much sun anymore. Trying some IR can't hurt.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Losing the battle hard this week, just letting yall know I don't just post the wins. Not my worst by a long shot but when you been doing good the downs feel even worse.
Hope you’re feeling better man. I too am having a rough go of it as I’m overwhelmed in about every single aspect of life at the moment.

anyway, hope shit has turned around for you, or will soon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hope you’re feeling better man. I took am having a rough go of it as I’m overwhelmed in about every single aspect of life at the moment.

anyway, hope shit has turned around for you, or will soon.
Thanks man, you too. It got worse before it got better, forced myself to shower and cook a bunch of food for meal preps. Was doing some maintenance on the dirt bikes, and the wife showed interest in learning to ride for the first time. She did really well with the clutch for a beginner and only stalled it a few times, ended up Buying her a pitbike(KLX 110r) since she enjoyed riding mine. The r has no clutch and electric start so she having a blast, it started raining like non stop though so only got to ride with her the one time. Now she gets sad when the weather sucks just like I do. Misery loves company.
C1DAF45C-9EF7-48F8-BB15-133D781C2D30.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t listened to this one yet but these are always top notch

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
has anyone here tried doctor prescribed ketamine infusions?

My doctor talked to me about it recently. The way he described it sounded similar to my experiences with MDMA, some miracle drug that would make you feel pure heavenly happiness no matter what was happening in your life. while also curing any pain and other problems.....

I tried it, and its absolutely nothing like mdma in any way... Ketamine is a different type of psychedelic that has no ups or downs(unlike lsd, etc). Perfectly neutral introspection, sort of clears your mind and separates a part of your consciousness that somehow feels completely sober in a strange way. Gives the opportunity for self therapy. this is also mixed with some internal psychedelic visuals that can be fun and distracting.

Also the disassociation aspect is definitely an excellent temporary relief of Any chronic pain.

So it does help, though I'm still not fully sold on it because it really feels like half of a process. As if something else should be added to the experience. I'm not sure what that would be.

Either way, I have a feeling Ketamine is going continue to become very popular, because its much cheaper and easier for doctors to shoot someone up with drugs and leave them alone in a room for a couple hours, than to pay a decent therapist to sit in a room for 30min. plus it is effective.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

My doctor talked to me about it recently. The way he described it sounded similar to my experiences with MDMA, some miracle drug that would make you feel pure heavenly happiness no matter what was happening in your life. while also curing any pain and other problems.....

I tried it, and its absolutely nothing like mdma in any way... Ketamine is a different type of psychedelic that has no ups or downs(unlike lsd, etc). Perfectly neutral introspection, sort of clears your mind and separates a part of your consciousness that somehow feels completely sober in a strange way. Gives the opportunity for self therapy. this is also mixed with some internal psychedelic visuals that can be fun and distracting.

Also the disassociation aspect is definitely an excellent temporary relief of Any chronic pain.

So it does help, though I'm still not fully sold on it because it really feels like half of a process. As if something else should be added to the experience. I'm not sure what that would be.

Either way, I have a feeling Ketamine is going continue to become very popular, because its much cheaper and easier for doctors to shoot someone up with drugs and leave them alone in a room for a couple hours, than to pay a decent therapist to sit in a room for 30min. plus it is effective.
Depending on where you live and the legal aspects etc, I would look into micro-dosing psilocybin.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

When I’ve read about K being used to treat depression it’s been in conjunction with talk therapy. Supposed to help you confront stuff and talk about it clearly. Especially trauma related issues iirc.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

I haven't tried it for depression, but a friend who has suffered from depression and mild autism tried it for about a year. Like a lot of things, it initially worked and then stopped working after a while.

The pharmacology mentions that ketamine does temporarily increase serotonin levels. At subanesthetic and fully anesthetic doses, ketamine has been found to block serotonin depletion in the brain by inhibiting 5-HT receptors rather than through monoamine oxidase inhibition.

My guess is, like a lot of things that initially work, your serotonin levels being a little higher causes elevated mood and motivation and general happiness. After a while, your serotonin receptors down-regulate due to the presence of increased serotonin. Same reason MDMA stops working after a while (losing the magic) and anti-depressants stop working after a while. How long that "while" is varies.

• 2Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Depending on where you live and the legal aspects etc, I would look into micro-dosing psilocybin.
I do enjoy micro-dosing mushrooms and have done it for extended periods of time with great results. but recently the strains that are available to me have not been good. or maybe the effectiveness is just declining after such prolonged use

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I do enjoy micro-dosing mushrooms and have done it for extended periods of time with great results. but recently the strains that are available to me have not been good. or maybe the effectiveness is just declining after such prolonged use
How do you even microdose without the tolerance killing It? Shrooms tolerance takes about 10-14 days to reset so if you’re taking it every day isn’t your tolerance through the roof, even with small amounts?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
New antidepressant is literally just a mix of non-narcotic cough medicine (DXM, the stuff in Robitussin that makes you Robotrip) and Wellbutrin.

And I bet it's actually great. DXM is an NMDA antagonist dissociative just like Ketamine, which of course has shown excellent efficacy as an antidepressant.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Recently experimenting myself and I would switch it up, I have had some that just increase anxiety and make me nauseous while turning stuff wavy. I have had some that make me feel like someone else. The best micro is when you feel just a little happy and buzzed. The raw gold ones are my go to, anything in gummi form has been terrible.

• 2Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't tried it for depression, but a friend who has suffered from depression and mild autism tried it for about a year. Like a lot of things, it initially worked and then stopped working after a while.

The pharmacology mentions that ketamine does temporarily increase serotonin levels. At subanesthetic and fully anesthetic doses, ketamine has been found to block serotonin depletion in the brain by inhibiting 5-HT receptors rather than through monoamine oxidase inhibition.

My guess is, like a lot of things that initially work, your serotonin levels being a little higher causes elevated mood and motivation and general happiness. After a while, your serotonin receptors down-regulate due to the presence of increased serotonin. Same reason MDMA stops working after a while (losing the magic) and anti-depressants stop working after a while. How long that "while" is varies.

The drug companies have known the serotonin hypothesis has been weak since the 1960s, they just couldn’t come up with a better reason for why antidepressants worked. Nowadays serotonin is thought to be a peripheral cause of depression (if it is at all.)

Ketamine is mostly considered interesting not because of its effects on serotonin, but because it blocks a receptor for NMDA. That being said, your point about receptor downregulation may very well be correct about why K stops working after a while.

The nice thing about ketamine is that unlike the SSRIs/SNRIs/atypicals/tricyclics/MAOIs, it can lift someone out of depression (in the sense of making them feel “good”) in a few hours rather than a few months, so someone can get some relief without needing to wait. One of the dangers of other antidepressants in depression is that usually people get their energy back before they start feeling happy, so oftentimes you have people with very deep, dark depression who want to commit suicide but don’t have the volition/energy to do so, but the ADs give them the energy to. Therefore, the goal with ketamine is to provide some short-term relief and reduce suicide risk while the provider simultaneously gets the patient titrated on a longer-term med.

Ketamine works well based on what I have seen on my chart reviews, but depression ideally should always be hit multimodally - making sure someone has addressed the low-hanging fruit (sleep, exercise, diet) and medications and teaching someone how to work through their problems with mindfulness or talk therapy.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
One of the dangers of other antidepressants in depression is that usually people get their energy back before they start feeling happy, so oftentimes you have people with very deep, dark depression who want to commit suicide but don’t have the volition/energy to do so, but the ADs give them the energy to.

Goddamn that's fucked up.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well, for anyone who may remember...years back I started a nonprofit that eventually merged with another organization. I've talked about it some, but not in great detail and we were then absorbed by another.

At any rate, we expanded with a large donation from a well-off (for-profit) organization to become what will be (when it finishes this year) a destination spot for other programs wanting to place their own clients. It was a dream come true. To keep the position I was in, (due to state licensing) I needed to get a degree in the field associated with my position, which I will finish this year in the meantime we were operating on an exemption.

Long story short, in a cost-cutting move the board removed me from my position so they could consolidate my role (two others did it with me) into one person, and save a good chunk of change. I can't fight it, I've already looked into it.

I was going to move on after I got my degree later this year to more directly serve the population I already was prior to last week, but it was a kick to the gut and it hurts not to go out on my own terms.

I've already landed another job I start next week, but I am honestly dreading it and feel no passion about it. It's just something to do until something better comes along or I can get my degree and move on to the next job I've wanted for the last few years.

But...fuck it hurts more than I thought it would and I feel really empty inside over it.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 6 users