Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hilarious reading that Adham didn't think people would be this angry and now its nothing but, "Because it wasn't D4." Not because it's two decades of leading people along into a broken mess of a game that eventually became dumbed down yet serviceable and then abandoned yet again to wither and die. All of it culminating in a product that is the epitome of a simplified skinner box.

DrIJSHTV4AAQOrx.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Diablo 3 sold over 30million copies which makes it one the best selling games of all time. They are not going to throw that away or change up the sequel so much that people would consider it a different type of game. We'll get a proper Diablo game eventually, and for better or worse it's going to be monetized to allow continual development. It will be full of extra non gameplay effecting things to throw your money at, skins and wings and portraits and weird pets and shit like that. Optional paid DLC like new characters and full blown expansions are a thing of the past. It's all about 'free' new content paid for by cosmetic and quality of life microtransactions.

Diablo came out in 1996, Diablo II in 2000, Diablo 3 in 2012.

At some point the "fans" that remember the good old days of diablo are going to be past prime game buying age. That's possibly why they pushed out the mobile deal.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, the people who remember the good ole days of blizzard, aren't playing blizzard games really anymore.

might as well grab a new audience that doesn't care about quality.

wait. let me do a different punchline...

yeah, the people who remember the good ole days of blizzard, aren't playing blizzard games really anymore.

i'll let you figure out why that is.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Diablo came out in 1996, Diablo II in 2000, Diablo 3 in 2012.

At some point the "fans" that remember the good old days of diablo are going to be past prime game buying age. That's possibly why they pushed out the mobile deal.

I mean, I don’t know about that. I’m 44 (22 when Diablo came out) and I’ve played just about all things Blizzard. I’d love to play Diablo 4 or WoD.

I can 100% say I won’t be playing Diablo Immortal.

Also: seeing as I’ve been gaming since I was 5 on the Atari and ever since...why would I give that up when I’m retired and have excessive amounts of time and money to spend on my favorite lifelong hobby?

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
This will eventually blow over. Next year will be D4 and D2 remaster and all will be forgiven while this mobile trash quietly rakes in a couple billion in revenue. I'm betting the first sentence of next Blizzcon will be "We learned a lot from the last Blizzcon..."

with all the knowledge Blizzard has accumulated year after year after year, I'm really excited to see when they actually start using it. So far they've just been gathering information. Must be difficult being a blizz fan boy and getting fucked in the ass time after time and keep hearing the promise that next time you get to be the top

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
This has made the national news.

Seems quite possible me that the Diablo franchise, at least on PC and consoles, is going the Mass effect way.

The current core audience is obviously not entertained by the mobile offer, and its going to take a lot of money to relaunch this as a premium title, so management might as well scrap the franchise and start over with something that won't be plagued with "is this an out of place april's fools joke" for the first 5 years.

with all the knowledge Blizzard has accumulated year after year after year, I'm really excited to see when they actually start using it. So far they've just been gathering information. Must be difficult being a blizz fan boy and getting fucked in the ass time after time and keep hearing the promise that next time you get to be the top

Information is gathered through polls and user data analysis. It is not gathered by pissing of your biggest fans during a convention and on a live stream.

I wonder if the shareholders understand this is going to change blizzards image from "AAA+ company" to "chinese mobile game reseller".

I predicted "blizzard would go down next" and this is exactly that. In their place I wouldn't want my image associated with chinese mobile games, but the damage has been done.

Can only hope the chinamen integrate spyware and are found out, at least that way there will be more entertainment in it.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
D3 is in maintenance mode right now. Everyoen who was working it has probably been shifted over to the next project (D4 and probably a D2 remaster) They could assign a team to make new class for D3 but they probably see more value in having those people working on making new classes for D4.

As is BFA for that matter.

The question is where did the talent relocate to? What area of Activision were they deployed to?

We thought it was D4. Its not. That is a very scary problem and should shake current WoW players to their core. If there isn't another AAA title in development, then what does that say about the state of Blizzard right now in 2018?

Harrowing.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
As is BFA for that matter.

The question is where did the talent relocate to? What area of Activision were they deployed to?

We thought it was D4. Its not. That is a very scary problem and should shake current WoW players to their core. If there isn't another AAA title in development, then what does that say about the state of Blizzard right now in 2018?

Harrowing.

I dont know, but if they are doing WC3 reforged and WOW classic, it could be that they want a new player base for wow to prepare the path for the next warcraft franchise ?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hearing some people trying to armchair MBA the business decision of doing mobile over classes/content/patches/D4 makes me die a little inside. That Steve jobs video rings so true. Shit you can see it in his own company more then anything else.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They should have announced "D4 Q4 2019 release", and have closed with "you can unlock beta acces by becoming a rift hero on our mobile game, available next week!" The D3 engine with a bunch of new zones & mechanics, same assets would have sufficed for D4, along with reusing late-game cinematics from the mobile game.

Any other kind of MBA armchairing is disregarding the games history and core audience up until today, which is exactly what the kind of retards running the gaming industry do.

EQ1 was a game for hardcore folks, EQ2 was a game for casual folks, they ended up splitting their own userbase and pleasing noone.

Time to sell the Diablo franchise to the russians. Oh wait, they sold it to the chinese already.

• 3Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Ironically, the steve job video mentions PepsiCo

Bobby Kotick, the CEO of ActiBlizz is on the board of directors for Coke

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
They are reacting to the times. You can weep all you want but it's a cold business decision that in 5 years the so called corrupt audience will be irrelevant and the new customer base will all but forgotten. As long as it generates better revenue.

• 1Salty

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They are reacting to the times. You can weep all you want but it's a cold business decision that in 5 years the so called corrupt audience will be irrelevant and the new customer base will all but forgotten. As long as it generates better revenue.

Is sacrificing a 20 year old brand name worth it for short term mobile benefits, even if this turns out well?

Obviously not in the long term, since creating a brand name like Diablo requires a ton of investments.

They literally sold out a Blizzard brand name in exchange for short term ROI. Hope people at blizzard have their cardboard boxes ready, they might get called into the parking lot quite soon.

• 3Like