Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Diablo 4 Dating Sim, it is known. That's why they gave Diablo tits in d3. Laying the groundwork for laying pipe in d4.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What else can it be then? Didn't they scrap the idea of it being a Dark Souls over the shoulder type game?
I haven't read that. Not that I follow leaks and rumors that closely, just what's posted here.

I want competition for PoE, the game and market overall needs it. But everything points to Blizzard backing out of the PC/Console ARPG market. Fans wanted D4 announced last Blizzcon and Blizzard had to temper their expectations before the event. If they were going to announce D4 ARPG at this Blizzcon, why aren't they stoking the fires? It would distract from this HK shit at the very least.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I doubt it's Immortal since they debuted last Blizzcon and how it was received so negatively. Plus I doubt if Quinn would go to Blizzcon to promote Immortal after shitting all over it last Blizzcon. It's D4.

D4...man after the fiasco that was the D3 release I wonder how well received D4 will be especially after the Mobile announcement last year.

I guess only time will tell.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure why you guys would trust Blizzard to make a narrative-centric game. Did you forget the children's story they slapped on D3?

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I haven't read that. Not that I follow leaks and rumors that closely, just what's posted here.

I want competition for PoE, the game and market overall needs it. But everything points to Blizzard backing out of the PC/Console ARPG market. Fans wanted D4 announced last Blizzcon and Blizzard had to temper their expectations before the event. If they were going to announce D4 ARPG at this Blizzcon, why aren't they stoking the fires? It would distract from this HK shit at the very least.
Or maybe they are waiting for everything to die down and counting on that everyone forgets about it? I don't know...... but I'm hoping it's an AARPG or something similar to Lost Ark an MMO/AARPG hybrid game.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure why you guys would trust Blizzard to make a narrative-centric game. Did you forget the children's story they slapped on D3?

Diablo 3 lore was such a joke on the main-story.

I mean Diablo 1-2 wasn't super lore HEAVY I would say but the game let you imagine some pretty cool scenarios. You FIGURE after what was it...10 years? They would have a decent story penned but I'm pretty sure all they thought about was, "Lets make an Iso Diablo and add a cash shop with some references to old diablos."

The fact they got soo buttmad at David Brevik for not getting down on all 4s and deep throating their game really stood out for me. When Jay whats-his-face said, "Yeah Fuck that guy." it really nailed the fact that the game was a grab and everything else was just incidental.

Years later we have a "Full Game" but still a far cry from Path of Exile style "let the player free!" Diablo game. Not that current D3 is BAD, just took them a while to get to a point where people were enjoying themselves.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ARPGs aren't really narrative-centric though, so that's actually a good point for Blizzard, they make games that play well and that's really all that matters in an ARPG. They're also good at copying stuff, and they have PoE and Median XL D2 and even their own D3(after all the changes, knowing what went wrong with D3), so IN THEORY, they could make a good game.

In practice however, I'd expect some F2P-ish ARPG with a lack of depth and a lot of cashgrabbing, and a lot of really fucking stupid design decisions, some of which will show a complete lack of capability to learn from their own mistakes. Probably not D3 AH 2.0 bullshit, but probably some really fucking stupid shit still.

More ARPGs isn't bad in my book though, even the bad ones I generally can enjoy for a playthrough or two. The Riot one will be interesting too, although I expect about as much from it. Mostly I'm looking forward PoE 4.0 more so than new games. Will be interesting to see which announcement turns out the best between Blizcon(nov 1st) and PoE 4.0(nov 15th)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's difference between having an afterthought of a story and tripping over your narrative dick constantly. D3 did the latter. The story was laughably bad and constantly got in your face with how horrible it was. Like they thought it was great but they shat out a TLJ turd instead.

PoE's story probably isn't good either. I say probably because I still haven't completely read up on it. The story stays out of your way, it's there for minimal flavor.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's difference between having an afterthought of a story and tripping over your narrative dick constantly. D3 did the latter. The story was laughably bad and constantly got in your face with how horrible it was. Like they thought it was great but they shat out a TLJ turd instead.

PoE's story probably isn't good either. I say probably because I still haven't completely read up on it. The story stays out of your way, it's there for minimal flavor.
Oh yeah it's ok if the story is bad if they don't make it the focus like they did. And yeah PoE is like, eh. I did the achievement to read all the texts a couple weeks ago but honestly after like 50 I stopped reading, there was some semi interesting backstory though but the actual game story is so so, although there's potentially more than meets the eye in the first 10 acts(Synthesis for example had a lot of interesting tidbits of lore in it, I assume they'll somehow recycle all these voice lines at some point).

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Okay so a bit of a right turn, but I recently installed Median XL for Diablo 2 for something new since I bailed on PoE league weeks ago. It no longer needs you to reverse engineer your install to an old patch level, so it is way easy now.

Anyway, I am disappointed that I don't like it. I admit to only giving it a couple hours so far, so perhaps it may grow on me, but it is clunky, the skills are mostly meh, and it still looks like D2 ass lol. I like the improved gear/crafting though. It makes me think this is how a brand new player to PoE would feel right now - too much new shit to learn, too many systems, too much complicated crap. Basically, I am old, cold, and there are wolves chasing after me.

Anyway, I tried D3 again and it is still too fundamentally boring (to me) for me to ever pick it up consistently again. I am not sure what it is missing, but I think it is the loot system that rankles me the most.

And I have zero hope for anything D4 related. I buried that, mourned, and moved on.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Hm barb looks like it will be pretty fun. Will have to give my 1-2 weeks of play again. WW set + WW swords, cube the Ambo's pride and the new rend belt. Shit should just blow up.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Until the realization that it takes lottery luck to get ancient ww swords, thanks a lot huge mighty weapon pool

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Until the realization that it takes lottery luck to get ancient ww swords, thanks a lot huge mighty weapon pool
With the increase of torment you get more crafting mats. That means you can just constantly reroll the same item. You should get an ancient in 10 (?) Rerolls?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Split bounty runs at highest torment are rather fast even in public runs. You're still RNGing the rerolls however and we all know how poorly that can go.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

I've never really had a problem finding ancient WW swords (primal is a different story). Game should really increase the ancient/primal drop rate at this point, though. Or add something like turn in 10-20 of an item = turns it ancient, 5-10 ancients = primal (though probably would need more than 5-10).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Wish they would let's us reroll primals and it stays as a primal.

A known leaker posted on his twitter account D2 remastered and D4 will be announced at Blizzcon.

Last edited: