Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I would love an AH in game. Heck I never minded the real world cash auction house in D3 because I never cared about what someone else has.
Problem of the RMAH imo wasn't so much that some random shmuck could spend 200$ to get that axe thing and own Inferno Act 2(but not act3 because we can't balance for shit yay). It's that the game drops were balance around it, so gear progress was slow as shit with a ton of worthless stats and huge variance and you could go for hours without finding any significant upgrade to your rares and shit.

PoE has random rares too and 99% of the stuff you find is garbage, but you still get enough decent stuff, and you get currency that you can trade(while gold was pretty much worthless and couldn't buy good stuff in D3 back then, for the most part, you had to find a good item, sell it to a gold buyer, then use that gold to buy good stuff). You don't need 300exalts worth of gear to do endgame either, a lot of builds can do it with like 10-20exalts top, hell some can farm endgame with less than that depending on the build.

D3 RMAH droprates and itemization were pure absolute garbage which really made the AH itself almost necessary for many players who didn't want to spend 16hours a day farming goblins or whatever. And they couldn't really fuck with the droprates without getting backlash from the whales. If you spend 200$ on some axe, you better not make that axe common after, so they were kinda stuck. They could tweak things, but not too much, other than what they did where they said yeah fuck that we're removing everything.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean, it would be easy to keep the drops where they are now and still have a RMAH. So then the whales pay 5 bucks instead of 200 bucks for a well rolled Karlie's Point. *shrug* I think it actually helped the game because Blizzard took a chunk which helps updates come faster right?

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
D2 remaster or gtfo. As much I would like to see D4 I have no hope they would make it right from my perspective (they are entirely different company these days).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, it would be easy to keep the drops where they are now and still have a RMAH. So then the whales pay 5 bucks instead of 200 bucks for a well rolled Karlie's Point. *shrug* I think it actually helped the game because Blizzard took a chunk which helps updates come faster right?
It would be "easy" to add a RMAH in the state they are now, but it would have been hard to keep the RMAH and get to the point we are at now. The money aspect is whatever, honestly I think they'd make more money selling cosmetics shit and keeping the game "clean" than having a RMAH though, at least in the current state. There's very little need to spend money on gear and it'd make the ladder worse than it is already. On the other hand, I don't think people would object to PoE style cash shop, have banners, pets, shiny effects on gear, transmogs, maybe some additional tabs for the stash for people who don't want to do the season shit, it's literally the same thing and it'd be probably fine and sell well, and then use that money for free content. Preferably you keep the class stuff like Necro free as a result.

But hopes for D3 are basically dead, it's for the next game now, if they're even working on one.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
D3 is still fun for a couple weeks every couple months.

Pretty much this, I think I end up playing for 2-3 weeks every 2 seasons or so. Or when there are really big changes in a season like the upcoming ones where tons of set are getting huge upgrades. It will probably be fun to try class/set that haven't really be viable in a long time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I mean that's also how I played D2 for like.. 10 years as well. I sometimes even just hop on to do a random grift or two even offseason.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
RE RMAH: Didn't some guy sue Blizzard when they "rebalanced" haste off of slots? He had spent a couple Grand on a perfect haste set or something.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
RE RMAH: Didn't some guy sue Blizzard when they "rebalanced" haste off of slots? He had spent a couple Grand on a perfect haste set or something.
I heard rumblings of this but never saw an article on a reputable site that mentioned it happening.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I fail to see how Blizzard makes any money off Diablo at all now. They threw away the RMAH thankfully. They released an expansion, and charged for the necro. But keep throwing out seasons and such. Sounds like it would be money losing IP over time with servers and customer care and such.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
China has a ton of MTX. Given how PoE has funded itself through MTX, I don't see why they haven't tried migrating the MTX system over to NA and EU.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I would love an AH in game. Heck I never minded the real world cash auction house in D3 because I never cared about what someone else has.

The real cash wasn't the problem with D3's auction house, the limited and shortsighted item design was. It would've been just as shitty with just a gold AH. Actually since I never touched the RMT part it was just a gold AH for me, and it was still a thousand times better to play the AH and not the game - that's bad. It would be as bad in PoE (some argue that it already is) but at least that game has enough item and build diversity that an AH makes some sense.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think I would like to see a version of the AH return, but I think it would have to be more of a bartering or trade house than a posted auction house. What we saw in the RMAH / Gold Auction house was a straight clusterfuck. Drops were skewed so badly back then that most legendaries were crappy and rare as hell, and your best gear was properly rolled yellows, which were a pain in the ass to figure / compare with. If you got a few good drops you could sell then you had mountains of gold, otherwise you had jack shit for gold and jack shit for gear. It was more akin to playing the lottery than playing a game. If you got a great drop and you had average gear you were better off selling that and buying a better than average set of gear than keeping that one drop, but near the end things cost either 40k and were junk, or were 40 million and great and there wasn't much in between to upgrade with.

people were only interested in the absolute best gear and everything else was just junk or would hardly sell

the hardest part about making a current AH would be what "currency" do you use. Depending on playtimes of people, anything you use can be easily farmed, be it gold, gems, DB's, forgotten souls, blood shards etc....so its really hard to find something that everyone wants as much as they would want the top tier items. Its why I think a trading system is about the only thing that would work, but sounds like it would be a nightmare to set up. I don't see them putting in the work to make it happen given the age of D3, but it would be handy if they did, where you could really focus down and replace a single slot without just having to work on Kadala or bounty mats in the cube.

xzi

Mouthbreather
It would be nice to see gold be useful again.. literally the only "difficult" currency are DB and those aren't even that rare if you do regular rifts instead.

I'm sad there's no trading in the game. Or offline mode while we're at it.

I enjoyed this video I watched a few days ago, it may have been linked but I agree with most of the points he made.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The original AH UI was god awful, forced mouse click on pop-up confirmation to purchase meant the bots would snipe items unless you used auto-it or otherwise scripted hotkeys. No way to directly refresh results so you would make a counter that incremented min price range or a stat, insert the new value, and search again to see new items before the bots got them. Even then it was still a battle to hotkey click first against internet latency.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The biggest issues people seem to have are with drop rates. What if they stayed the same? Just add an AH to the game as it is now?