Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I dunno, I agree that the game came through eventually and I've definitely gotten enough entertainment out of it to justify the initial purchase + xpac, but the necromancer DLC in particular didn't add a whole lot for me, and I was a huge D2 necro fanatic back in the day. Maybe the class has improved since it was released, but at the time it felt pretty limited and uninspired - I honestly wouldn't bother unless you're simultaneously dying to play more D3 but bored to tears of every other class.

On the flip side, it's what, $20? If you already like the game you'll probably at least an evening or two of fun doing 70 + set + grifts, and there are a lot of ways to spend $20 which will give less entertainment for money.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I sadly really didnt get the same replay value out of d3 like some of the guys here. Am always suprised to see the d3 thread popping back on top, how can these guys find such replay value i always wonder. I cant compare the hours i invested in d3 to the ones in d2. Its night and day. Hence the necro upgrade, even at 10 bucks isnt worth it to experiment the same content with no interesting loot.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
the necro is really powerful in some of the group / farm builds (rat runs etc) so if you had a group of friends (3-4) who were all coming back at the same time it would be worthwhile to snag the necro pack just for that as having 2-3 of them in a group will make paragon farming really good without a ton of time investment to get the gear.

the solo builds are also really good, but they were really ahead of the power curve last season, with the boost to a lot of the other sets their solo builds early on are on par with a few other classes. They may cap out really high in solo with freakish gear / paragon / skill of play but they have a really nice power level just starting out with basic 6 piece sets that can be worthwhile.

the necro pack doesn't offer anything other than that though, just new ways to play the same stuff, but I definitely got my monies worth out of it.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the necro is really powerful in some of the group / farm builds (rat runs etc) so if you had a group of friends (3-4) who were all coming back at the same time it would be worthwhile to snag the necro pack just for that as having 2-3 of them in a group will make paragon farming really good without a ton of time investment to get the gear.

the solo builds are also really good, but they were really ahead of the power curve last season, with the boost to a lot of the other sets their solo builds early on are on par with a few other classes. They may cap out really high in solo with freakish gear / paragon / skill of play but they have a really nice power level just starting out with basic 6 piece sets that can be worthwhile.

the necro pack doesn't offer anything other than that though, just new ways to play the same stuff, but I definitely got my monies worth out of it.
Don't you also get some new tile sets and quests out of the necro pack? Or are those just added to the game at the same time?

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
What is a rat run?

4 man Necro speedrunning group setup. You use 3 Rathma Necros with Singularity, no essence generators, and Reapers Wraps and 1 support Necro to produce globes for them.

Most efficient speed farming in the game, a decent group can clear GR100+ in 3 minutes and farm paragon that way.

Last edited:

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I sadly really didnt get the same replay value out of d3 like some of the guys here. Am always suprised to see the d3 thread popping back on top, how can these guys find such replay value i always wonder. I cant compare the hours i invested in d3 to the ones in d2. Its night and day. Hence the necro upgrade, even at 10 bucks isnt worth it to experiment the same content with no interesting loot.

I'm addicted to the pillars of light and "ca-CHING!" of lego drops. Don't judge me.

But seriously, most of us play for the first 2-4 weeks of a season. Trying out the new builds of the patch and hoarding some loot is fun in those doses.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider

I pop back in every couple of months because the actual gameplay is pretty fun. I get my fill after a week or so.

Except this time, I keep getting CTDs with "DIablo III retail has stopped working" after about 5 minutes of play. I've tried looking around for solutions but I don't know if I care enough to figure it out.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't you also get some new tile sets and quests out of the necro pack? Or are those just added to the game at the same time?

I'm not sure if the new tile sets are in for everyone or only with the necro pack. I know you get 2 more stash tabs (if you aren't capped from seasons stash tabs already) with it and a pet, wings and a portrait but none of that other stuff is really worth it (unless you are a bigtime wing collector) if you aren't going to play the necro.

I didn't notice any new quests, and the cathedral of blood tile-sets kinda stuck so honestly if there was a way to turn those off it would almost be a blessing.

What Warr said about the rat runs is true, its crazy farming and really efficient. If you have "the 3 best friends that anyone could ever have" and can all play together I imagine it would be a pretty nice way to come back with a 4 player group and get powered up in pretty short order. I don't group with randoms but I doubt there is a shortage of groups for it, although the tolerance at this point for new people running it may not be super high if you are in with randoms. The pace and clear speed on it is absolutely insane, mobs and blues and yellow literally vaporize.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The rat runs I see seem to be two rathmas and two zdps usually, mostly barb/wd/monk. Maybe that's just safety for PUGs?

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah there is a lot of variants, and you can scale them down to 3p and 2p versions that arent as tough or efficient or probably wont clear as high but can be done with less people if you dont like grouping with people you dont know

Speed running 85s in 2p in 4-6 mins can still be really good exp if you are sub 1500 paragon and its a friendlier way to practic if you arent bringing a full 4 person group and dont wanna jump in with random strangers to learn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
What others said as well about the replay value. The seasonal construct is what I think gets people coming back. For me it's usually good for a month at least each season, sometimes more. The seasons also let you take a longer break if you want and come back later. I've taken several multi-year breaks from various console versions before finally evolving to the PC master race a couple weeks ago, just to experience the progression of gearing a fresh character in a season.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure if the new tile sets are in for everyone or only with the necro pack. I know you get 2 more stash tabs (if you aren't capped from seasons stash tabs already) with it and a pet, wings and a portrait but none of that other stuff is really worth it (unless you are a bigtime wing collector) if you aren't going to play the necro.

I didn't notice any new quests, and the cathedral of blood tile-sets kinda stuck so honestly if there was a way to turn those off it would almost be a blessing.

What Warr said about the rat runs is true, its crazy farming and really efficient. If you have "the 3 best friends that anyone could ever have" and can all play together I imagine it would be a pretty nice way to come back with a 4 player group and get powered up in pretty short order. I don't group with randoms but I doubt there is a shortage of groups for it, although the tolerance at this point for new people running it may not be super high if you are in with randoms. The pace and clear speed on it is absolutely insane, mobs and blues and yellow literally vaporize.
There is a new quest that pops when you get near the cathedral portion to beat the new boss. It also pops as a bounty some times.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm still playing pretty often (yay temp unemployment)

Having a good time on WoL monk, can carry 3 others in t13 np even with shit gear. Feel free to add me anyone Brikker#1337

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's also a nice for when you want something to play that doesn't demand 100% of your attention - I mostly fire it up for a week or two every other season and play while going through my backlog of podcasts. And it's a good game to play while just kicking back and talking shit on voice chat. I almost universally bail the moment I get my full build going and maybe hit GR75, but it's fun when you've got something to work for.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's also a nice for when you want something to play that doesn't demand 100% of your attention - I mostly fire it up for a week or two every other season and play while going through my backlog of podcasts. And it's a good game to play while just kicking back and talking shit on voice chat. I almost universally bail the moment I get my full build going and maybe hit GR75, but it's fun when you've got something to work for.
That's when I used to bail out of the season too. Then I started setting goals of 1000 paragon, or get into the top 1000 leaderboards for a class. Those last couple have been new goals this season and it's kept me going the whole time. It's pretty fun.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Took like a week off or so because of They are Billions, but back at it. 980+ paragon, so almost hit that goal, and I'm up to GR93 on my WD, which is the right GR level, just wasn't fast enough to get into the top 1000.

Saw some great success when knowing when to move as a Firebats WD. It's easy to think you are invincible once you get the bats rolling, or if you just spin for a little longer the elite will die. Not usually the case, so not being so stuck in one spot has helped.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I'm expecting the 2-week warning to drop tomorrow (the 26th) which puts the season right at 3 months which is about the average length. No new patch for next season so no need for a PTR.

If not tomorrow, then it could be any day after that. All just my educated guesses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I was expecting something like that. I came in late, leveled a Necro, but don't like the play style too much. Will hold off on levelling a new character til the next season since I can't be arsed to do it so late in a season. :)